Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is an interesting and alarming (for Romney) trend in all of the recent polls. People no longer see Romney as better at improving the economy than Obama. Couple that with the personal distaste for the man and the perception that he favors the wealthy in his policies and you have a recipe for an Obama victory.
I agree with your analysis here but for one thing - people in general have lost hope in an economic recovery.

Take the CBS/NYT polls that just came out for CO, VA, and WI. In there, you are right - voters think Obama is just good or slightly better than Romney for the economy (the spread is 2-3 points and within the margin of error). Furthermore, the majority of voters believe Romney's policies favor the rich and are split that Obama's policies favor the poor or middle class. But also they ask if Obama's policies have improved the economy, will improve the economy with time, or will never improve the economy. The plurality of voters chose the last option - will never improve the economy.

This is a serious malaise problem for the American people. Even though they intend to vote for Obama, they don't believe his policies will ever improve the economic situation in the country. Aside from winning the election, I found that response to be very disheartening as an American.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I agree with your analysis here but for one thing - people in general have lost hope in an economic recovery.

Take the CBS/NYT polls that just came out for CO, VA, and WI. In there, you are right - voters think Obama is just good or slightly better than Romney for the economy (the spread is 2-3 points and within the margin of error). Furthermore, the majority of voters believe Romney's policies favor the rich and are split that Obama's policies favor the poor or middle class. But also they ask if Obama's policies have improved the economy, will improve the economy with time, or will never improve the economy. The plurality of voters chose the last option - will never improve the economy.

This is a serious malaise problem for the American people. Even though they intend to vote for Obama, they don't believe his policies will ever improve the economic situation in the country. Aside from winning the election, I found that response to be very disheartening as an American.
It is simply not true that people have lost hope. Every poll shows that people think things are getting better. This is why Obama and Romney tie. Consumer confidence is coming in way above expectations week after week. Retail spending and debt accumulation are significantly improving. Why? Housing and stocks - the wealth effect. For the first time in years, many parts of the country are seeing appreciation in home prices. Everyone who has a 401k has seen the value double in their quarterly statements.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 AM

^I should have stated... people in general have lost hope that Obama's policies will lead to an economic recovery.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
^I should have stated... people in general have lost hope that Obama's policies will lead to an economic recovery.
Nope. Partisan drivel not supported by facts.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstric View Post
I was a history major with a specialization in American Revolution....let me quote the words of our Forefathers. These are but a few...I could add MANY others if you need.
And as a History Major with a minor in Religion and technically an ordained priest, I can add just as many that state otherwise. But what you can not produce is a direct quote from a single Founding Father who explicitly states that America was founded as a Christian Nation. It is called "Freedom OF Religion" for a reason, and all the Founding Fathers, no matter their own personal religious beliefs, supported that to some extent or the other.

Of course their definition of Religion were "all sub-sects of Christianity."

In fact your quotes when taken in context can be easily used to prove my point even further.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nope. Partisan drivel not supported by facts.
I just gave you some facts - the same polls you were quoting.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
I just gave you some facts - the same polls you were quoting.
Oh Boy.
If you Stop giving facts to people who dismiss them as facts, you won't get heartburn.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Obama with 14 point lead in Wisc Marquette poll. Wow!

http://www.wisn.com/politics/wiscons...z/-/index.html

Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Default Assoc Press "poll" finds Obama ahead by 1% - after asking 41% more Dems than Republicans

It's actually pretty amazing that they have to ask so MANY more Democrats than Republicans, just to eke out a 1% advantage in responses.

What does that say about the actual result of the Nov. 6 election... if FEWER than 41% more Dems than Republicans, actually show up? Like, what if equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans show up to vote on Nov. 6?

What this "poll" tells me, is that the actual election will be a blowout victory for Romney.

Does anyone actually think that 41% more Democrats than Republicans, will actually show up to vote on Nov. 6?

http://surveys.ap.org/data/GfK/AP-Gf...%20release.pdf

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's actually pretty amazing that they have to ask so MANY more Democrats than Republicans, just to eke out a 1% advantage in responses.
Something tells me you don't understand how polls work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections