Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, they don't.

For your information, in 2010, a total of $60,931,712,000 of $60.9 Billion was redistributed to people who do nothing but leech off of tax-payers, take up space, use resources, and give nothing back to their community or society.

This redistribution of wealth is euphemistically referred to as the "Earned Income" (snicker) "Tax Credit."

13,913,752 tax filers with an AGI of less than $15,000 received a free generous tax-payer gift of $25,803,441,000 or $25.8 Billion, or an average of $1,854.53 each.

9,518,457 tax filers with an AGI of $15,000 to $30,000 stole from the tax-payers $29,727,850,000 or an average of $3,123.18 per tax filer.

4,344,312 tax filers with an AGI of $30,000 to $50,000 ripped off tax-payers for $5,400,421,000 or average of $1,243.10

Now, where was I? Oh, yeah, you were making false statements claiming how horrible and terrible it was that those free-loading moochers had to pay sales taxes and stuff.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that someone with $30,000 spends the entire amount on items subject to sales tax, and let's assume that the sales tax rate is 7.5%.....

$30,000 * 7.5% = $2,250 in sales taxes but they got a generous tax-payer gift of $3,123.18 so how much did they really pay?

$3,123.18 - $2,250 = $873.18 in free cash remaining.

You know I gave you the benefit of the doubt, right? I mean in reality, they're paying money to rent/mortgage and for food and other non-taxable items, so the entire $30,000 would not be subject to sales tax.

Look.....you're the one who said "Let's look at it a bit more closely.........

Don't blame me for doing exactly as you wanted.
Mircea

I just love to look at it a bit more closely because I earn under $15,000 per year, I don't receive the "Earned Income" (snicker) "Tax Credit", and I do pay federal income tax as well as state and local taxes.

In fact, millions of Americans with AGI below $50,000 - and many with AGI below $15,000 are significant net taxpayers. A huge proportion of the "redistribution" you cite is to parents of minor children, and very little of it is to childless adults, who in aggregate are substantial net taxpayers.

And sometimes rent and food are subject to sales taxes. Arizona has a local-option "Transaction Privilege Tax" on rent up to 3 percent. Several states tax (unprepared) grocery food.

Some states start taxing income below 100% of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
The Republican position is to tax the middle class and poor.
Lower taxes to almost zero on the rich.
Plain and simple.
So who is going to pay the national debt off???????
Who????
I don't see it.
Arithmetic people, think simple arithmetic.

Pledasze post a c opy of this plan from where you got the info from.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With the argument no taxation without representation should that be spun around to no vote if not paying income tax ?
Since Romney suggests the 47% are nothing but bludgers maybe he would be more comfortable if only real Americans ie those who pay income tax having the privilege of the vote.
Please either read or listen to the comment.

He said 47% of the people were going to vote for Obama no matter what, people on welfare, food stamps etc feel entitled and will not vote for anyone else. He inferred his campaign was trying to reach the rest of the people who were willing to listen, and didn't have their minds made up already because they felt that they were entitled and obama would keep giving to them.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

10% is 10%

everyone paying the same rate would be the fairest

unless you are against equality......hmmmm

what would be even better would be not taxing income at all....especially since a good portion of income is never reported

tax spending instaed

FairTax Video - Americans For Fair Taxation

You say you want equality, but the FairTax does not tax all spending - or even all consumption - equally.

Under the FairTax some types of spending (and consumption) are more equal than others. Shouldn't the homebuyer have equality - and pay FairTax on his purchase, just as I pay FairTax on my rent?

Under the FairTax, a homeowner can spend (and consume) more than a renter, while paying less tax than the renter. You call that Fair?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 AM

83 posts, read 79,597 times
Ugh.

The genius of democracy, I reckon, is that it provides a way for change to happen, in a relatively orderly way, inside a political system, through representation, rather than outside the system, through violence, destruction, rioting, physical confrontation, and disorder.

When people can count on their votes being respected, they don't have to turn to more drastic measures. It's a great pressure release valve for creating stability in society.

1 person, 1 vote. It's the most small-c conservative principle in our country.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Default You are not of "the 47%"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Some years ago, I was probably at or very close to zero Federal taxes. I had a good-paying job, and was also a military reservist, receiving a large tax credit for monthly travel to my reserve center. Does that make me lack personal responsibility or not taking proper care of my life?
Hearing Romney's statement, in context and in it's entirety, clearly he was not talking about someone such as yourself.

The left has tried to make much of this. The statement is a 'yawner,' because it couldn't be more clear what he meant. But the propagandists will do what they can to extract a few words out of context and claim Romney said something other than he did. That is what propagandists do. And this bunch are very desparate!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly what I said earlier... Re-elect Obama and force him to wear the albatross (disastrous domestic and foreign policies, stagnant economy) he's created for another 4 years. After that, no one will elect another Dem president for at least a generation.
I don't know.....Bush is wearing it, and after three years you are already calling for another big spending neo-con to be put in.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Down ticket Dems are looking better and better.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why doesn't your nephew just confess his sins and admit that he slobbers over Barack Obama?

Let's just keep it simple and leave the troops out of this discussion.
Why? They can be part of the 47% and they also vote. It is just another group of peole that mitt is out of touch with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections