Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Except they actually did. I'm in a higher tax bracket than you, so I pay a MUCH HIGHER effective federal income tax rate AND receive far fewer benefits per tax dollar paid.

If we had a flat tax, you'd have a point. But we don't, so you have no point.

A straight flat tax will benefit some but hurt the majority of the poor. Maybe a sliding flat tax would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Define "fair share."

People who work by their brow pay a higher % of federal taxes verses someone who lives strictly on investments. There is usually between a 10-20% difference, I just think that it should not be such a large disparity or at least give the working poor a lower tax rate.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Hyperbole is the mark of the intellectual midget.

Combine resources with others... family members, friends, etc. People CAN and DO support themselves and their children without resorting to government handouts.
You are assuming alot, there are quite a few people who are estranged from their families and what if their families are in worst shape than they are? Here is a thought, lets cut off some of the unnecessary corperate subsidies that the wealthy get

Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
People who work by their brow pay a higher % of federal taxes verses someone who lives strictly on investments. There is usually between a 10-20% difference, I just think that it should not be such a large disparity or at least give the working poor a lower tax rate.
That's totally FALSE.

Where do you get that garbage, and even more astoundingly... why do you believe it?

Taking the IRS data on KNOWN average effective federal income tax rates for each income group:

Top 1% pays an effective federal income tax rate of 24.01%
Top 5% pays a rate of 20.46%
Top 5-10% pays a rate of 11.36%
Top 10-25% pays a rate of 8.25%
Top 25-50% pays a rate of 5.56%
Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data | Tax Foundation

Let's add the 5.65% (4.2% SS + 1.45% Medicare) payroll tax to all of the bottom 90%, all the while acknowledging that many of those in the top 10% ALSO pay payroll taxes. The average total effective federal tax rates of the bottom 90% would be:

Top 10-25% pays a rate of 13.90%
Top 25-50% pays a rate of 11.21%
Bottom 50% pays a rate of 7.5% (1.85% effective federal income tax rate + 5.65% payroll tax)

NONE of the bottom 90% has an average total effective federal tax rate that is more than the 15% capital gains tax rate.

And furthermore, the capital gains earnings were ALREADY TAXED at the corporate level whereas employees' salaries are tax deductible as a business expense which is NOT taxed at the corporate level.
Quote:
There is usually between a 10-20% difference
I just proved you TOTALLY wrong.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
You are assuming alot, there are quite a few people who are estranged from their families and what if their families are in worst shape than they are? Here is a thought, lets cut off some of the unnecessary corperate subsidies that the wealthy get
Unnecessary corporate subsidies?

Are you all willing to pay higher prices for food, gas, and a lot of other things once the subsidies are cut?

Guess who higher prices would hurt more...

Still want to cut the subsidies?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,655 times
People got their hands in my pockets and they do nothing to deserve the money they are grabbing for.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Unnecessary corporate subsidies?

Are you all willing to pay higher prices for food, gas, and a lot of other things once the subsidies are cut?

Guess who higher prices would hurt more...

Still want to cut the subsidies?
Everyone will pay higher prices. Only the government will not give a raise to those on the dole. You want government control you got it!

Looks like all this ranting and raving to lose money.4 years ago Peggy said, I won't have to worry about my mortgage, I won't have to worry about my gas. I wonder how its working out for Peggy these days.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
You wont reach that poster with reason, it's not worth trying.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM

No, you can't reach people who don't understand finance and are incapable of taking care of themselves. In the end, the middle class will be screwed the most if Obama is re-elected. If there was only one promise I wish he had kept it would be when he said if the economy wasn't better then he would be a one term president. He loves the limelight and Obama cult too much to give it up now even going as far as kissing the asses of the people he hates to get money.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
No, you can't reach people who don't understand finance and are incapable of taking care of themselves. In the end, the middle class will be screwed the most if Obama is re-elected. If there was only one promise I wish he had kept it would be when he said if the economy wasn't better then he would be a one term president. He loves the limelight and Obama cult too much to give it up now even going as far as kissing the asses of the people he hates to get money.
Yep, pretty much. I hope you are ready for four more years of Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections