Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM

344 posts, read 397,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The impact of the video can be seen on polling numbers taken right after his video was released. It shows a dramatic increase in voters for Pres. Obama in key swing states. I think I hear the fat lady warming up.
I don't think the Romney gaff necessarily ended his chances, but they did not help. I was watching Fox News Sunday, and conservative analyst Bill Krystal was pretty mad about the statement. He said something like he (Krystal) has spent his whole adult life pushing conservative philosophies, and trying to make them more popular and more mainstream ideologies, and Romney essentially undercuts him with one dumb, misguided statement.

I am an independent and this whole election season I have been on the fence as to where my vote will go. My weight went to Obama's side of the fence when he announced his support of gay marriage. Then it went to Romney's side of the fence when he announced Paul Ryan as his running mate (or my weight at least returned to the middle of the fence). Now's it's gone back to Obama's side of the fence after the Romney statement. Even I am curious as to where my weight will end-up in November. Right now Romney has to do something positive or significant, or Obama has to screw something up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM

465 posts, read 509,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I would have liked to have heard what obama care was going to be about, before it was passed too. But, we were not allowed by esteemed leader to see it. And what Romney did in Mass does not cut into Medicare to pay for able-bodied people to have healthcare. The laws for working for welfare have been changed by obama.
I'll give you the healthcare point but Obama didn't change it in fact several governors (most republican ones like Christie in NJ) asked him to temporarily suspend it, he wouldn't they backed off because it became unpopular, you don't have to work 80 hours a month if you can't find a job but you have to show (last time a friend did it before she found a job and became self supporting again) like 7 interviews a week and had to be signed by an employer. There's a lot he hasn't done right but I respect him for this one. I think it should be increased to at least 30 hours a week or 120 hours a month. I think that's a good start, and they shouldn't allow people to let their family sign saying they "work" for them there ought to be an investigation.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM

465 posts, read 509,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I would have liked to have heard what obama care was going to be about, before it was passed too. But, we were not allowed by esteemed leader to see it. And what Romney did in Mass does not cut into Medicare to pay for able-bodied people to have healthcare. The laws for working for welfare have been changed by obama.
And I agree with you but being the same as Obama in transparency isn't bragging rights for your guy and another reason why I don't like either of them. Obama is most certainly not my guy, but he's better that Romney imo. But it's damn sure not a ringing endorsement and that's how most of my friends feel whichever way they're voting. Like we're f'd either way.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM

79,037 posts, read 61,175,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The impact of the video can be seen on polling numbers taken right after his video was released. It shows a dramatic increase in voters for Pres. Obama in key swing states. I think I hear the fat lady warming up.
You are either a republican shill or one of the thickest democrats on the planet.

Obama is already facing voter malaise where people favor him over Romney but are luke-warm about going out to actually vote.

.....and here you come with another thread about how the election is in the bag? Seriously?

I don't care which one of the clones wins, I just thinks it's bizarre when the official dem message has been urging people to get out and vote to overcome apathy and you are essentially saying it won't really matter.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM

8,660 posts, read 9,189,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm sorry, but it is the EPITOME of moronic to suggest that because some deadbeat pays a tax on a pack of cigarettes that he's suddenly a contributor to society.
What in the hell are you blabbing about, Xanadu? I will repeat that many of those 47% work and pay state and local taxes and FICA and sales tax. Put the bong away, toidi.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,983,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are either a republican shill or one of the thickest democrats on the planet.

Obama is already facing voter malaise where people favor him over Romney but are luke-warm about going out to actually vote.

.....and here you come with another thread about how the election is in the bag? Seriously?

I don't care which one of the clones wins, I just thinks it's bizarre when the official dem message has been urging people to get out and vote to overcome apathy and you are essentially saying it won't really matter.
I am neither a Republican or a democrat and my post is just about an article that I forgot to cite...so I will do that now.

First Thoughts: The impact of 47 percent - First Read

You are actually mistaken about voter turnout for a winner. Voter turnout is higher if they believe their candidate is going to win. There is some psychological reason that people like to vote for the winner, even if the winner does not need their vote. On the other hand, nobody wants to vote for a person that that they know is going to lose.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,820,942 times
Romney needs to buy the book: "Stupid Speeches for Dummies"

Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,394,480 times
Default Romney 47% video has killed his election chances.

The truth can hurt you when your in politics.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,397,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I bet your wrong....
Bettors think YOU are wrong. At Intrade, Obama's percentages have gone from 57% around the conventions to 75% today. HUGE win bet money coming in on Obama.

Intrade - Barack Obama to be re-elected President in 2012

Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,397,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
What in the hell are you blabbing about, Xanadu? I will repeat that many of those 47% work and pay state and local taxes and FICA and sales tax. Put the bong away, toidi.
Apparently, Xman also consides retirees on social security "deadbeats" who have contributed nothing to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections