Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,313,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
But it's ok to call tax paying Americans unpatriotic right?
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,979,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bush tax cuts. The GOP was signing and dancing about giving new tax cuts and tax credits. Their motto is smaller government/no tax increases/cut taxes.

Now all of a sudden fewer people are paying taxes. This is a direct result of those cuts. The bottom earners paid very little taxes before because their wages were so low and after the standard deduction and deductions for children. Then add Bushes tax cuts and they don't earn enough to pay the taxes per the Bush tax cuts.

Now snooty Romney is looking down at the peons that are benefiting from the Bush tax cuts and calling them low lifes. It's class warfare and Romney's political career is OVER FOREVER because of that 47% comment. Not the one sentence - but the entire paragraph. No matter what Romney says or does for the rest of his life, that 47% comment has ruined his reputation forever.
You can't be President and only care about half of the country.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Let's say we have a system. I put 100 dollars into the system. Then, I take 700 dollars out of it.

Where does the other 600 dollars come from? It's an entitlement. You pay 100, you get 700. You didn't earn that other 600, it's being given to you.....on the backs of other people who are currently putting in THEIR 100 dollars in the hopes of getting 700. The only time some of this gap is made up is when some people put in their 100 dollars and die before they can get their 700.

This model COMPLETELY fails the queuing theory. It's reliant upon an ever expanding workforce to subsidize those who have left it. It can't be done. So yes, it's an entitlement. People right now are taking my 100 dollars in order to get their 700, and my 100 damn sure won't be there when I'm their age.
That is assuming you live long enough to collect any of it, before you die and it just goes back into the pockets of government.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,785,998 times
Rich white arrogant men aren't what's in anymore, even the right middle class can't relate to Romney, he has the personality of a fish.

YouTube Romney sweet Jesus, this iPhone is way to restricted.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, the people who were already going to vote for him LOVED that he told the truth. The "fence sitters", depending on whether they are left leaning or right leaning will either love it or hate it.

It will turn off as many people as it endears. People (even some so-called liberals) are a little sick and tired of paying for the deadbeats (i.e. victims) in this country.

20yrsinBranson
I would modify your post to say "told the truth as he thinks it". And there aren't enough suporters of Romney's statement to win an election. I doubt Romney will get many of the undecideds after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I would have liked to have heard what obama care was going to be about, before it was passed too. But, we were not allowed by esteemed leader to see it. And what Romney did in Mass does not cut into Medicare to pay for able-bodied people to have healthcare. The laws for working for welfare have been changed by obama.
Medicare is a federal program. Romney didn't have to worry about it in Mass.

States were given more "local control". Isn't that what the Rs always say they want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How about we focus on what people actually do, and not what they say in some off the cuff comment?

You folks just refuse to look at what Obama has done to our country, and hope some offhand comment by Romney will matter at all, when it is meaningless when compared to this disastrous Obama economy, which has been "the worst economy since the Great Depression" for four years now. /runonsentence

BTW, Michelle is not fat, she is just husky.
Re: "offhand comments", when are you guys going to give up on the "57 states" thing?

Comments about the president's wife (or Romney's wife for that matter) destroy the credibility of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I'll give you the healthcare point but Obama didn't change it in fact several governors (most republican ones like Christie in NJ) asked him to temporarily suspend it, he wouldn't they backed off because it became unpopular, you don't have to work 80 hours a month if you can't find a job but you have to show (last time a friend did it before she found a job and became self supporting again) like 7 interviews a week and had to be signed by an employer. There's a lot he hasn't done right but I respect him for this one. I think it should be increased to at least 30 hours a week or 120 hours a month. I think that's a good start, and they shouldn't allow people to let their family sign saying they "work" for them there ought to be an investigation.
See my post above about healthcare. Romney did not have to concern himself with Medicare as gov. of MA.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM

465 posts, read 509,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would modify your post to say "told the truth as he thinks it". And there aren't enough suporters of Romney's statement to win an election. I doubt Romney will get many of the undecideds after this.

Medicare is a federal program. Romney didn't have to worry about it in Mass.

States were given more "local control". Isn't that what the Rs always say they want?

Re: "offhand comments", when are you guys going to give up on the "57 states" thing?

Comments about the president's wife (or Romney's wife for that matter) destroy the credibility of the post.

See my post above about healthcare. Romney did not have to concern himself with Medicare as gov. of MA.
i used the wrong word i meant welfare brain injury for the lose sometimes...lol

Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,183,174 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that those state and local taxes mean nothing on the federal level so it's a completely stupid argument to bring to the table, and anything they pay in FICA is more than refunded to them.
Amazing isn't it? The debate is about federal income taxes, yet they continue to harp on "state and local taxes" as if that was the basis for Mitt Romney's comments.

This is one reason I literally despise liberalism. They have no shame and the truth means absolutely nothing.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,979,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Amazing isn't it? The debate is about federal income taxes, yet they continue to harp on "state and local taxes" as if that was the basis for Mitt Romney's comments.

This is one reason I literally despise liberalism. They have no shame and the truth means absolutely nothing.
The truth as YOU see it.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM

8,658 posts, read 9,180,691 times
Quote:
And the myth of them "paying" anything in FICA has already been debunked.....and the post you responded to directly talked about this whole "Well.....they pay sales tax!" nonsense. You can't be that dense to where you didn't get it.

We've already moved past the "let's assume everybody who doesn't pay anything is a retiree or is in some way disabled" portion of the attempts to straw-man the reality.
In your mind it is debunked. In reality if you make under a certain threshold you pay no federal income tax but you certainly still do contribute to FICA. And like I said before many still pay state income taxes on top of that. Another words they do not make enough money to pay federal income tax, but that does not mean that many of the 47% are bums, it means they still work hard for less money in large proportion to our population than it was in the past. And for retirees, they paid into the system and are entitled to that benefit period. Those you can consider bums are those on welfare, who do not contribute at all, many perhaps never contributed are a small part of that 47%.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM

8,658 posts, read 9,180,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Not true, and by the way I voted for Bush twice and his father and I'm a DC native. The republican party is not the same party when I voted for Reagan. So I'm not your liberal. The reason Americans keep bringing up the issue of "state and local taxes" is because it implies the 47% are losers and contribute nothing which is far from the truth. I hold states in higher regard than the fed most times. "Stiff the Mitt", who will never get my vote, in his statement he rolled those who have contributed all their lives, and those American workers who make very little into that 47% comment. By the way we all know why many working Americans pay no federal income tax, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections