Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,499,221 times

Advertisements

Electoral College math: Not all votes are equal

Just another way they use to buy, sell, and corrupt
an election, and rob the public of their desires ! ! !

Electoral College math: Not all votes are equal - Yahoo! News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Electoral College math: Not all votes are equal

Just another way they use to buy, sell, and corrupt
an election, and rob the public of their desires ! ! !

Electoral College math: Not all votes are equal - Yahoo! News

The article explains very well why it will not change. The smaller states are not going to give up their only chance at influence.

But in the end the argument is a fallacy. Here in WV my vote means next to nothing. Romney will win easily so it really matters none who I vote for.

My neighbor's vote just across the river in Ohio will have far more influence in the election.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Yep...that is the reason it was created in the first place...we don't need or want to have this entire country run by the five most populous states/cities...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The article explains very well why it will not change. The smaller states are not going to give up their only chance at influence.

But in the end the argument is a fallacy. Here in WV my vote means next to nothing. Romney will win easily so it really matters none who I vote for.

My neighbor's vote just across the river in Ohio will have far more influence in the election.
No it won't.

Romney will carry West Virginia by more than one vote, and Obama will carry Ohio by more than one vote. Your vote will not change the outcome of the election. Neither will the vote of any single voter in West Virginia or Ohio.

But if you're really fixated on how much of the winning margin a single vote occupies, if 2012 is roughly like 2008 then West Virginia will be closer than Ohio on a per vote basis. In 2008, John McCain won West Virginia by 94k votes. Barack Obama won Ohio by 262k votes. Your single WV vote (assuming you voted in WV in 2008) was a larger portion of the difference than any OH vote.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
No it won't.

Romney will carry West Virginia by more than one vote, and Obama will carry Ohio by more than one vote. Your vote will not change the outcome of the election. Neither will the vote of any single voter in West Virginia or Ohio.
The politicians will work far harder for the vote in Ohio than they will in WV. They will make Ohio all sorts of promises (even if they don't actually follow through). They will make many stops in Ohio.

Quote:
But if you're really fixated on how much of the winning margin a single vote occupies, if 2012 is roughly like 2008 then West Virginia will be closer than Ohio on a per vote basis. In 2008, John McCain won West Virginia by 94k votes. Barack Obama won Ohio by 262k votes. Your single WV vote (assuming you voted in WV in 2008) was a larger portion of the difference than any OH vote.
Either argument changes nothing, nor will it.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,661 times
Thank God and the Founders we are guaranteed a Republican form of Government written into the constitution

Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Yep. I live in Ohio about a mile from Parkersburg. I turn on a Huntington/Charleston tv station on and don't see many ads for Romney or Obama. Turn on Columbus and I'm bombarded.

I've been watching a lot of Charleston tv lately. lols.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioisthebest View Post
yep. I live in ohio about a mile from parkersburg. I turn on a huntington/charleston tv station on and don't see many ads for romney or obama. Turn on columbus and i'm bombarded.

I've been watching a lot of charleston tv lately. Lols.
LOL, yeah, the ads are nauseating.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
The electoral vote concept is wonderful. A perfect way to give small states a tad more leverage.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The electoral vote concept is wonderful. A perfect way to give small states a tad more leverage.
On the other hand, without the Electoral College maybe we would now be recovering from the high-water mark of progressive policies that President Gore would have inflicted on us--instead of waiting for the damage of Obama to become evident to a majority of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections