Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,451,627 times

Advertisements

After having movie stars and celebrities shoved down my throat as the "gold standard" while growing in LaLaLand (it was actually pretty cool), I have a knee-jerk reaction toward any celebrity running for office and tend to vote against them.

This would include Schwarzenegger. (We've come to learn how disgusting he really is). I didn't like the Reagans, either. Then there's Governor Jesse Ventura in Minnesota. And Mayors Clint Eastwood (in Carmel) and Sonny Bono, RIP (in Palm Springs). And these people win over seasoned politicians. As for Schwarzenegger, he could have at least been the mayor of Santa Monica (population 90,000). Unbelievable.

Do you have a knee-jerk reaction against celebrities who want to be politicians? Admittedly, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM

37,824 posts, read 41,149,828 times
As far as the meat puppets (actors) go, they're entire career is based on reading the words someone else wrote for them and doing what some director tells them to do, so in that regard and pretending, they'd make a good show as a candidate but once it came time to govern, I don't think so. But, if they want to give it a shot, they could start with "mayor" of a small town or small city and then let us assess based on that experience not their acting experience.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM

29,233 posts, read 22,501,200 times
Actors can have a built-in advantage in times when public recognition counts for a lot. Actors also have the ability to sell themselves well, especially when they are popular.

Look at Fred Thompson in 2008. He was dragged into the primary race kicking and screaming, never spent an hour trying to raise money, and displayed nothing but indifference to his chances of winning. And he still bumped up to the top spot until it was perfectly plain to everyone he didn't want the job.

And why did he get that far? Because he knows how to look and sound all Presidential. Which is pretty much the same as playing a General or an Admiral. Thompson has done both.

We love our actor politicians because they give us exactly what we want from them.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,451,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We love our actor politicians because they give us exactly what we want from them.
Your post was all about form. Evidently America still buys that over substance. I see what you're saying, and because of that, I am averse to voting for a movie star. They can do infomercials when their careers dry up, not run governments.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,742,310 times
Who cares?? I go see a movie to be entertained. Once I leave the theatre I couldn't tell you what the actors names are. I don't care. It doesn't matter. Hollywood plays ZERO influence in my life.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections