Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM

9,880 posts, read 14,145,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The link I posted last night states that 11% of people do not have the proper ID.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. The link references a clearly partisan study where this number came from. In fact, no one really has any idea how many people don't have ID. It really doesn't matter how many people in this country don't have picture ID, what matters is how many REGISTERED VOTERS don't have ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. The link references a clearly partisan study where this number came from. In fact, no one really has any idea how many people don't have ID. It really doesn't matter how many people in this country don't have picture ID, what matters is how many REGISTERED VOTERS don't have ID.
Antics with semantics! You knew what I meant!

@North Beach-I get it now, the discrepancy was the dr. filled out the birth date wrong! Mea Culpa!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This is true for many (college) students who do have school issued ID but may not yet drive. while their school ID may be accepted in general, it does not allow them to register to vote in many states.

I grew up in NYC. I did not get a driver's license until I was 30. Had absolutely no need for one. I had a passport before I had a driver's license but, that is, ironically, not acceptable proof in many states because it is not "state-issued."
Well, most college students I know got their licenses at 16, and if they didn't I would hope that a college student would be smart enough to take the steps they need to to get an acceptable ID if they want to vote.

My (much older) sister was born in a house in Arkansas. Even so, she has a birth certificate and a driver's license. My parents were also born at home, and they had birth certificates and driver's licenses.

The world has changed. It used to be okay not to have an ID if you didn't drive, but these days you simply have to have one and it is going to become more a requirement, not less. Might as well get used to it.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM

9,880 posts, read 14,145,300 times
Quote:
Antics with semantics! You knew what I meant!
No, I'm serious. All of these "studies" refer to people of eligible age to vote. It doesn't really matter if the crack-head living in a beat up van doesn't have ID, if he isn't registered and has no intention of voting. I did a little research on where the 11% number comes from.

http://www.brennancenter.org/page/-/...file_39242.pdf

So they asked 4 questions, and based on yes/no responses determined that 11% of people don't have ID. Well, these questions are misleading.

1) Do you have a current, unexpired government-issued ID with your picture on it, like a driver’s license or a military ID?

Many people might have an expired license that can easily be renewed. By answering "no" they assume you don't have ID. But it's likely you can easily get one. They didn't ask that.

2) If yes, does this photo ID have both your current address AND your current name (as opposed to a maiden name) on it?

Once again, by answering "no", they assume you don't have ID. Likely, one trip to the DMV could fix this problem.

3) Do you have any of the following citizenship documents (U.S. birth certificate/U.S. passport/U.S. naturalization papers) in a place where you can quickly find it if you had to show it tomorrow?

Why would you have to get it quickly and show it tomorrow?? This is misleading and many people might answer "no". I certainly would. But that doesn't mean I can't get my documentation in a reasonable time.

4) If yes, does [that document] have your current name on it (as opposed to a maiden name)?

Are you kidding me? All women's birth certificates have their maiden name on it; and it isn't changed when they get married. They have just forced all married women to answer "no" to this question. A birth certificate with a maiden name does not prohibit you from getting a Photo ID. You just need to bring your marriage certificate, too. And all "no" answers result in being part of the 11%.

So, this study shows that about 11% of people answered "no" to one or more of the questions, and may not have valid photo ID should they have to vote today. But no one is springing this ID law on people at the polling station. After each of the above questions, they should have asked:

"If it was required to have photo ID to vote, would you be able to update your ID or gather the required documentation?"

My guess is that the 11% drops dramatically.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM

63,003 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
The link I posted last night states that 11% of people do not have the proper ID. I'm not sure how many are elderly. The need for such ID seems to depend, as some are saying they have to present ID at the dr and some do not, for example. Few elderly are opening new bank accounts; none of them are getting carded at the liquor store, many don't fly, etc.

Part of the problem is that some states have limited the types of ID they will accept to just a few.
All of the states with voter ID laws are providing those who don't have one a free one. So what's the next lame excuse?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM

11,273 posts, read 11,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And the problem is we have people voting who are not citizens or who are using names of dead people to vote. There is nothing wrong with asking people to prove their identity before they vote.
There is if you're a liberal. Requiring ID to vote would eliminate a chunk of their voting bloc they desperately depend on.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM

11,273 posts, read 11,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All of the states with voter ID laws are providing those who don't have one a free one. So what's the next lame excuse?
Who knows. What is certain, though, is that they will always find one.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The world has changed. It used to be okay not to have an ID if you didn't drive, but these days you simply have to have one and it is going to become more a requirement, not less. Might as well get used to it.
The world has changed. It's time for National ID! State IDs are not secure enough.

Seriously, isn't that tyrannical big (federal) government creeping up? The Republican plan sounds like something out of Communist China--a police state Conservatives adore so much that jobs have been shipped there for 3 straight decades to prop that government up to the 21st century miracle that it is now.

The real voting fraud is from rigging the vote count, usually by GOP Secretaries of State, not from impersonation. Paper trails from Diebold machines, not paper trails for "free" ID.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,377,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The Constitution says if you are a citizen you get to vote. Period. End of Story.

Your political party doesn't get to put up any barriers to voting.

If your ID requirement keep some small percentage of people from voting ....You can go take hike.

Are we clear here?

What don't you understand?

Prove you're a citizen. What don't you understand? What are you afraid of? Afraid that your democratic strongholds are being held up by illegal voters?

It's sad that people like you would rather have people illegally voting than require a simple proof of ID for legitimate voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No because I've seen no evidence where it keeps people from buying guns.

On the other hand, evidence has been submitted in court, along with witnesses brought in, that PROVED photo ID requirments kept them from voting.

Once you miss a vote, that's it. Your vote will never be counted.

Are you being deliberately ignorant? Go to any gunshop and try to buy a gun. You will be REQUIRED to provide proof of id. The law requires it, how much more evidence do you need? Just going to ignore that because it doesn't support your position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
How is it that you can get ID but they can't?
Because liberals believe anyone not white is completely incapable of taking care of themselves without government help.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Takoma Park, MD, undocumented aliens
North Beach, MD, non-residents, deceased
Berlin, MD, non-residents
Chesapeake Beach, MD, non-residents
Annapolis, MD, undocumented aliens
Prince George's County, MD, undocumented aliens, deceased
Calvert County, MD, deceased
Fruitland, MD, non-residents
Salisbury, MD, non-resident college students
College Park, MD, non-resident college students
Wasn't there a scandal where people in the Hamptons on Long Island voted at both residences?

"Now a new book — “Who’s Counting?” by John Fund and Hans von Spakovsky — charges that Al Franken’s 2008 defeat of incumbent Republican Sen. Norm Coleman may be directly attributable to felons voting illegally. Coleman led on election night, but a series of recounts lasting eight months eventually gave the seat to the former Saturday Night Live star. Later, a conservative watchdog group matched criminal records with the voting rolls and discovered that 1,099 felons had illegally cast ballots. State law mandates prosecutions in such cases; 177 have been convicted so far, with 66 more awaiting trial."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...gUjYJCivnI6IuN

If I walk in my own bank and cash a check (my check), I have to show ID. Don't these people have checking accounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections