Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 AM

150 posts, read 183,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Republicans don't have a problem working to pay for their own way. Democrats are leaches and are an expense to the civilized world.
I find this offensive. I'm neither a republican nor a democrat but there are democrats who work by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM

30,316 posts, read 18,870,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Everything mentioned here is what OBAMA is doing. Abraham Lincoln knew 150 years ago that it wouldn't work, yet here we are 150 years later with a president who is trying this same thing. IT WON'T WORK. Romney knows what does work, and Lincoln knew, and Reagan knew, and many other presidents knew. Obama doesn't get it.

Great post-

It shows that Obama is essentially opposed to all American traditional values.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,376,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why am I not surprised that a Romney supporter would have no issues with using yet another lie to support his candidacy?

Whatever.

Someday people will realize that revenue is good, that feeding people rather than letting them starve is good, that funding infrastructure repairs is good and that living in a society that cares for all of its citizens rather than just the chosen few is also good.
Y'all just keep on supporting the man who believes that those with the most toys wins.

It's okay. The reasoning behind it is pretty transparent.
Romney did not use that quote. I did. Where did anyone say Romney himself was referring to the quote? I saw it and thought it was very relevant. I thought it was said by Lincoln (and it was in fact attributed to Lincolin in his day), but it doesn't matter who said it. Its very true.

No one has a problem with revenue. No one is saying to let people starve. No one is against infrastructure. You are missing a small word in the quote. It sayswe shouldn't be doing for someone what he SHOULD be doing for himself. That implies that he can. None of us have a problem with helping people who CANNOT help themselves. But the truth is, many people are living on entitlement programs who COULD and SHOULD be supporting themselves.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,968,788 times
Quote:
Everything mentioned here is what OBAMA is doing. Abraham Lincoln knew 150 years ago that it wouldn't work, yet here we are 150 years later with a president who is trying this same thing. IT WON'T WORK. Romney knows what does work, and Lincoln knew, and Reagan knew, and many other presidents knew. Obama doesn't get it.
Lincoln lived in a different world. He could not envision a corporate/republican-controlled government.
** Thrift? Republicans spend more than democrats. They adopted a plan to spend while in power, then complain when out of power (the "dual santa clause" theory).
Republican National Convention: The one graph you need to see before watching
An Obama Spending Spree? Hardly (CHART) | TPMDC
BTW republicans are now considering giving up on their much-cherished Bush tax cuts for their wealthy base, so what does that tell you?
** The strong? Who are they? In today's world it is the wealthy - that's it. Money determines "strength". Lobbying gives certain people influence (strength). Joe Lunchbox, Teachers, wage earners, are nowhere in this picture.
** Wage payers? Increasingly these "wages" are going to China due to republican outsourcing. Huge corporations, the repub base, are not the "job creators" they claim to be. Lincoln would only be aware of small businesses of his day, not huge multinationals and the "global economy"
** Class hatred? Because of democrats? You're serious? It's the conservative hold on media which has, for 35 years, been beating this drum for republican political power.
** Destroying the rich? This is just Fox propaganda. Nobody is against wealth - it is for buying "stuff", not influence. The wealth gap is ever-widening due to repub trickle-down. How is this good?
Should the rich pay more? - CSMonitor.com
** Spending? Related to thrift above.
** Self-reliance? Republican outsourcing of jobs is designed to place the lower classes in a state of desperation for wages on the Chinese level. In order for a person to be self-reliant, there must be American jobs available. There are no fixes in sight for this, since congressional republicans are blocking all jobs bills for their own political capital.
So you are voting for the Wall Street Party, the party of the "strong" whose present-day policies Lincoln and the founding fathers would despise and fear.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,926,364 times
Quote:
Unemployment is high, the economy is the worst it's been since the Great Depression. Explain how this is utopia?
In Utopia, things were simply wonderful in 2008-2009. And 2001-2007 was simply greatness when it came to economy. Isn't that where you come from?

And THAT is why you would be voting for Romney. You simply want more of the same.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM

937 posts, read 932,129 times
Quote:
This thinking is the way Romney thinks, and it's the reason I am voting for Romney. It's exactly the opposite of the way Obama thinks.
How are you so sure of this? Romney just spews every single thing a selfish American wants to hear and they're fine with that. Thing is, he's trying to keep the nation in a perpetual state while the world is changing. He's trying to react a Reagan 80's but the economy has changed and so have international relations.
His thinking is that 47% of Americans are fine being freeloaders thanks to people who make a higher wage. How can you understand his thinking when his details of what he plans to do are the most vague descriptions of policy ever? He's about as transparent about the repercussions of his policies as a brick wall and believes the private sector will do everything even if they won't make a profit.
Yes, there are points I agree upon with Romney but his Bush-like ideas towards taxation and military activity are what irks me. How he funds the 20% (is it 20% of the current rates or 20 percentage points for the current rates) tax deduction across the board, we don't know. He'll either have to cut a lot of programs that still won't cover the amount of deficit he'll create or have that deficit funded by large loans from China (irony, eh?). He expects the recurring growth to offset the change AND an increase in military spending but I'm not so sure that's a possibility.
I do believe in the individual but the world created by many rich corporations stifles the ability for other individuals to begin their own businesses to serve their own communities. When it comes down to it, the president that creates the incentive to move dollars from the rich and back down into the middle class is the president I'd like to vote for. There's nothing wrong with being rich but whenever they hold hostage many US dollars, it's hard to believe that decreasing their taxes is going to incentivize those individuals in circulating their money down to small businesses.
Romney's probably going to create a giant deficit if his policies are enable or he's going to become the b**ch of the GOP Congress.
So please, explain Romney's thinking if you think your interpretation is more appropriate.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
How are you so sure of this? Romney just spews every single thing a selfish American wants to hear and they're fine with that. Thing is, he's trying to keep the nation in a perpetual state while the world is changing. He's trying to react a Reagan 80's but the economy has changed and so have international relations.
His thinking is that 47% of Americans are fine being freeloaders thanks to people who make a higher wage. How can you understand his thinking when his details of what he plans to do are the most vague descriptions of policy ever? He's about as transparent about the repercussions of his policies as a brick wall and believes the private sector will do everything even if they won't make a profit.
Yes, there are points I agree upon with Romney but his Bush-like ideas towards taxation and military activity are what irks me. How he funds the 20% (is it 20% of the current rates or 20 percentage points for the current rates) tax deduction across the board, we don't know. He'll either have to cut a lot of programs that still won't cover the amount of deficit he'll create or have that deficit funded by large loans from China (irony, eh?). He expects the recurring growth to offset the change AND an increase in military spending but I'm not so sure that's a possibility.
I do believe in the individual but the world created by many rich corporations stifles the ability for other individuals to begin their own businesses to serve their own communities. When it comes down to it, the president that creates the incentive to move dollars from the rich and back down into the middle class is the president I'd like to vote for. There's nothing wrong with being rich but whenever they hold hostage many US dollars, it's hard to believe that decreasing their taxes is going to incentivize those individuals in circulating their money down to small businesses.
Romney's probably going to create a giant deficit if his policies are enable or he's going to become the b**ch of the GOP Congress.
So please, explain Romney's thinking if you think your interpretation is more appropriate.
I'm not a selfish American, and I am not rich. But I do understand that you can't give people handouts and expect them to have the initiative to provide for themselves. What Obama is doing is not working.

Romney has already explained what he plans to do. He plans to get more people working, which will broaden the tax base. If there are more people paying taxes, we don't have to raise taxes on the people already paying taxes. He also has proposed to cut deductions for higher income American.

And I agree with increasing defense spending. The single most important thing for our country is our national defense.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM

937 posts, read 932,129 times
Quote:
I'm not a selfish American, and I am not rich. But I do understand that you can't give people handouts and expect them to have the initiative to provide for themselves. What Obama is doing is not working.

Romney has already explained what he plans to do. He plans to get more people working, which will broaden the tax base. If there are more people paying taxes, we don't have to raise taxes on the people already paying taxes. He also has proposed to cut deductions for higher income American.

And I agree with increasing defense spending. The single most important thing for our country is our national defense.
Do you realize how much the US already spends on national defense...?
On the handouts, they exist for the sole reason of alleviating the impacts of business cycles.
Okay, when it comes to broadening the tax base:
Think about it mathematically. Group A makes X dollars, Group B makes Y, and Group C makes Z. Z>Y>X. With the rather large disparity on the distribution of wealth in this country, the amount Group C makes is much larger than X or Y.

This graph from UC Santa Cruz gives a picture of expected wealth owned by particular sectors of income makers (circa 2010).
Even if you increase the tax base amongst the bottom, second lowest, middle, AND second highest, it doesn't make up for the wealth that the top 20% owns.
Broadening the base... People actually believe this -___-.
It really burdens the middle class tax payer more and those that will lose benefits from government programs because the government is forced to cut or completely eliminate them.
Broadening the tax base when the wealth is distributed so unevenly DOES NOT solve the deficit problem and creates an even larger schism between middle and upper classes...
What is in you guys' Kool-Aid?

AND ANOTHER THING:
Cutting deductions for higher income Americans doesn't really matter if you create more i.e, eliminating the estate tax...

Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM

9,700 posts, read 5,139,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's exactly my point. It's not a utopia. You're saying you want someone to go further down the same path Obama is on, and give MORE to the already successful. How well has that path served us for the last 12 years?
Anything?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Anything?
I don't think Romney is trying to give more to the rich. People who have earned their money have a right to the money they earned, don't they?

Redistribution of wealth is not the answer. There are people who should be working who are not because they don't have to. That's wrong. There are people in other countries who would give anything to have the opportunities we have in America. Romney wants to make America a place where people DO have the opportunity to succeed if they are willing to work for it. Obama would rather raise taxes and give handouts to those less fortunate. How about help those less fortunate to be able to provide for themselves and do better than just get by on what the Democrats want to dole out to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections