Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times

Advertisements

I heard so many conservatives compare this election to Carter/Reagan. As soon as that talk started, I knew Obama would win for the following reasons:

-Romney is not a handsome and charismatic actor.

-The country is not as white as it was 30 years ago

-Republicans spent 2 years insulting Hispanics through legislation.

-Hispanics are the fasting growing voter bloc.

I had made a prediction about NV, NM and CO earlier which I believe was spot on. All those states were won by a couple of percentage points more than expected.

Republicans, if you want back into this national election process, you better mend fences with the Hispanic community as soon as possible.

It would be much wiser to mend than build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

121 posts, read 153,035 times
I don't see how Republicans can mend anything with hispanic voters. You can see the distaste and racist rhetoric come out as soon as that bloc is being talked about in popular conservative media. It would require an entire social and generational change in thinking for that to happen. Maybe when all the old white baby boomers die off that can start to happen. It's just not going to happen right now.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM

744 posts, read 1,092,531 times
This election was a revolution. Far more than 2008 ever was. Obama is not even really relevant. The big news is the triumph of social liberalism.

This election will completely change the trajectory of American political discourse from here on out. I predict the GOP takes a sharp turn toward libertarianism, so sharp it will make your heads spin. Ironically, all you small-government libertarians need to thank us liberals for pushing America into this new direction, and for destroying the social conservative wing of the GOP.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
I don't see how Republicans can mend anything with hispanic voters. You can see the distaste and racist rhetoric come out as soon as that bloc is being talked about in popular conservative media. It would require an entire social and generational change in thinking for that to happen. Maybe when all the old white baby boomers die off that can start to happen. It's just not going to happen right now.

Man my brother said the same exact thing to me last night on a different topic. Basically once all the baby boomers are gone and our seniors are more opening minded topics like, race, abortion, gay marriage Roe V Wade won't be political talking points and the real issues at hand can be focused on.

+1

Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM

63,003 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I heard so many conservatives compare this election to Carter/Reagan. As soon as that talk started, I knew Obama would win for the following reasons:

I had made a prediction about NV, NM and CO earlier which I believe was spot on. All those states were won by a couple of percentage points more than expected.

Republicans, if you want back into this national election process, you better mend fences with the Hispanic community as soon as possible.

- What does being white have to do with anything? Shouldn't we all have this nation's best interest at heart regardless of race? Obviously not, unfortunately.

-How did the Republicans insult Hispanic-AMERICANS?

- Yes, the Hispanic voting block is increasing directly due to illegal immigration and anchor babies. They show what ethnocentrics that they are.

- How does the GOP "mend fences" with Hispanic-Americans? By thumbing their noses at our immigration law and treating them special by rewarding their illegal amigos with amensty and non-enforcement of our immigration laws? Says a lot about Hispanics, doesn't it?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,464,756 times
They lost because of a stupid voting public who wants handouts and doesn't want to do their own thinking. The dumb and lazy are changing the direction of this country.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Default There's a lesson here...

Quote:

...insulting people and then expecting their support is a very weak tactic.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
This election was a revolution. Far more than 2008 ever was. Obama is not even really relevant. The big news is the triumph of social liberalism.

This election will completely change the trajectory of American political discourse from here on out. I predict the GOP takes a sharp turn toward libertarianism, so sharp it will make your heads spin. Ironically, all you small-government libertarians need to thank us liberals for pushing America into this new direction, and for destroying the social conservative wing of the GOP.
Yep, it's always the left that drags the knuckle-draggers kicking and screaming into the future. We don't call ourselves Progressives for nothing.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
Social conservatism did not lose. Stupidity and miscalculations are what cost the GOP the election. If social conservatism was the sole big reason why Obama won then there's no reason, none at all, why the GOP controls the House. Americans preferred the status quo. Nothing has changed, the federal government looks exactly the same as it did in 2010, only a few faces are different. Obama pretty much won the same states he did in 2008. it also did not help matters that nobody knew what Romney stood for

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,815,991 times
Quote:

The other element is that Reagan won the youth vote in 1980. Young people were much more conservative. Since then the US has become a socially liberal country. It would have been unthinkable for gay marriage or marijuana legalization to pass in 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections