Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Wrong answer, Buddy Boy, but keep dreaming. FACT: republicans still maintain control of the House.

But none of that really matters. Both parties need to start working together to rebuild this country. Our economy is in the tank!
Do you understand why the R's still control the House? It was because of republican redistricting (gerrymandering)--they shifted around districts, breaking up strong democratic areas and tying them with more conservative areas to make sure there wasn't a democratic majority in them whenever possible. It was a smart move on the R side, because it's doubtful that you would have been able to keep the House without it. In states with rapidly rising minority populations, the redistricting may not matter in a few years--your base will be over run anyway.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
BTW, Bloomberg endorsed Obama...!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wasn't living in NYC for that (still not actually) but that should of never been allowed...though at the same time, I really don't care for term limits for mayors, I think if you are a good mayor you should be in office for as long as you want and keep getting re-elected.
The 22nd Amendment was passed because of FDR. We now have FDR Jr. on steroids. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama moved to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

Frankly, I'm thinking the 19th Amendment should also be repealed while we're at it since so many women voted with their lady parts instead of their lady smarts.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/termlimits.asp

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you understand why the R's still control the House? It was because of republican redistricting (gerrymandering)--they shifted around districts, breaking up strong democratic areas and tying them with more conservative areas to make sure there wasn't a democratic majority in them whenever possible. It was a smart move on the R side, because it's doubtful that you would have been able to keep the House without it. In states with rapidly rising minority populations, the redistricting may not matter in a few years--your base will be over run anyway.
This is why I support having congressional districts be divided up by population only and be done by a nonpartisan group so that everyone in the House lives in a purple district. None of those politicians should have a safe seat.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Oh I am excited, I have a great life, and Obama has a second term!

As for I am impressed you are still posting on CD is because if you haven't noticed the Cons have been quiet on here since the election....care to tell me when was the last post from jt800?

As for the hate I am holding on to? this isn't hate, this is hope that our country is finally moving away from the far right and to a more free country where civil rights will be available to every American.

There are great days coming, unless you are a far right supporter, then I guess some form of doomsday nazi, commie future of horribleness is coming.
Glad you also have a great life! But you do realize, sadly, that a lot of people cannot say the same?

Why are so 'impressed' I am posting? Just because Obama won? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard anyone on here say and I am thoroughly embarrassed for you. Why don't you take a big rewind and we'll pretend you never said that.

As far as jt800 goes - why would I know when he will or will not post? Again, childish and contributes nothing of value - you are on a role here - lets rewind again.

I am a proud Republican but have never been far right. I have much in common with moderate democrats, but not the far left. Can you say the same?

There are great days coming IF both parties can work together. If not, just more gridlock and swimming back wards and nobody needs that.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
The 22nd Amendment was passed because of FDR. We now have FDR Jr. on steroids. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama moved to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

Frankly, I'm thinking the 19th Amendment should also be repealed while we're at it since so many women voted with their lady parts instead of their lady smarts.

snopes.com: Bill to Repeal the 22nd Amendment
Spoken like a true far right Con, don't like how people vote, just take away their right to vote.

Personally I support every American's right to vote, it is our freedom and women deserve that freedom more than anything.

Actually I think it is important to vote with your social points of view first. A healthy economy doesn't matter if you are a repressed group in a country.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
18. Don't remind the Dems that every house seat in every swing state was up in the recent election, and the Dems got slaughtered (again) in those elections. Let them think they have discovered the magic path to permanent domination for all time, so their hubris can grow and grow.
There are several important lessons to take away from this election.

1. The GOP HAS to abandon the social issues nonsense. It's a loser.
2. The GOP HAS to figure out how to draw in the fast-growing minority populations that it has, so far, shunned and more or less insulted.
3. The influence of the tea party movement is dying. Its only chance is to separate into a 3rd party, but that may end up pulling a lot of Republicans and ensure that they continue to lose major elections for some time to come.
4. The Dems got lucky with Obama. He's been mediocre (not terrible, but not great either) and the general population has a short-term memory and lack of patience for things not going their way economically.
5. Rasmussen and Gallup were embarrassingly bad polls this year.
6. Romney was an incredibly weak candidate. He could not connect with anyone outside his base and, let's be honest, the racist population of America, of which there are still quite a bit out there given recent studies. A strong Republican could've easily won (and I'm not talking by being more conservative). Instead, it was pretty much still an EV landslide for Obama.
7. More people voted against Obama than for Romney.
8. Ohio is turning more blue over time, at least in the areas that really decide elections. Republicans increased their support in just about every red county there, and Dem support was generally down, but it didn't matter at all. The blue counties still far overwhelmed the rest of the state. Long-term demographics are not in the Republican's favor.
9. Speaking of, demographics are going to be an increasing problem for the GOP unless they figure out #1 and #2.
10. Puerto Rico voted for statehood. Provided it moves forward, this is going to be another blue, Democratic state.

And finally, 11. This election exposed some very deep rifts. I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes so many people lose all objectivity and reason when it comes to Obama, but I've never seen so many people completely meltdown over a president. Not with Bush, not with anyone. There are people out there cutting ties with friends/family who may have voted for him. It's nuts.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
The Republicans will keep blowing it as long as they continue nominating candidates who have "earned their chance" over candidates who have a chance of winning the election.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:

As for the hate I am holding on to? this isn't hate, this is hope that our country is finally moving away from the far right and to a more free country where civil rights will be available to every American.

There are great days coming, unless you are a far right supporter, then I guess some form of doomsday nazi, commie future of horribleness is coming.
Yeah, tell that to the maker of the stupid You Tube video who was just sentenced to a year in jail. Tell that to our 4 dead Americans in Libya who were denied security.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
YOU are another hateful, venom spewing, hypocritical Democrat and the reason this country will never work together. Hope you are proud of yourself.

You took all that time to write nothing but crybaby, divisive BS. NOTHING positive in your long diatribe at all. Nothing!

AND you nastily lumped all Republicans together, despite the fact that you can surely comprehend everyone has their own mind and not all people feel the same way. Or at least I hope you can.

You obviously have some deep rooted hatred and I hope you get help for it.

I NEVER said this was ALL about people wanting free stuff. You will not put words in my mouth. It is a FACT that more people are on welfare than ever before due to the economy. Don't you think it might be time to try to work together to correct this travesty? Or would you just rather keep up your divisive crying?
Talk about being an absurd reactionary to a farily accurate post. Go out and get some air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections