Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Have also heard that sentiment often here in an otherwise very conservative part of the state. But even aside from that, any moderate republican will still face the same problems that Romney had... namely how to reconcile that with the social conservatives and tea partiers, etc. who comprise the "base"? And even worse, is the dilemma of how to reconcile mainstream GOP political ambitions with the conservative media (FOX, Limbaugh, Coulter, etc.), which all have their own messaging, constituency and agenda driven primarily by profit, rather than traditional politics?
There is NO conservative media.

Fox is Fleet St comes to America. Fleet St, aka the Sun, was Murdoch's model.

Rush is this eras' Morton Downey, Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I don't think any "Jindal" was storming the beaches of Normandy or fighting for our freedoms at the Battle of the Bulge.

He isn't a real American and his opinion means nothing to most Southerners.

5 of the last 6 presidential elections the Confederacy has been told their opinion means nothing to the rest of America, who elected their choice of POTUS.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nonsense, idea you put forth on this issue is idiocy. Look, if a store owner says, no black people allowed and a black person goes into that store. The government will either enforce the racism of the owner or will protect the civil rights of the black person. There is no neutrality.

If the government allows the practice of racism by private citizens that means the government is saying it is legal to practice racism and the government will enforce the practice of racism.

If the government does not enforce the practice of racism, then private citizens in the economic sphere cannot practice racism.

The ability to discriminate is a question of legality either it is legal to discriminate or it isn't. If is legal then the government has to enforce and protect what is legal, which means in your fantasy scenario the government ends up discriminating against its own citizens.
The government already enforces private property rights.

Again, name calling belittles your already poor argument.

We will see if the supreme court agrees with me or you next year.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I agree, of course. I think the GOP used to be seen as the pragmatic party. The dems were full of utopic visions, but the GOP would ask, "Ok, but who is going to pay for that?" Lately, the roles have reversed. The GOP is full of idealists who imagine a libertarian /Ayn Randian utopia, and the Dems are saying that would be a disaster. The mature, rational skepticism of moderate republicans is a good service to the larger society, but I don't see you chasing the crazy train out of the roundhouse easily. The uber rich know that duping the social conservatives is their meal ticket, and they are not likely to stop funding that unless it is clear that it is a losing hand.
You would like to think they would learn from the this election and changing demographics.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
If you even remotely knew what you're talking about then you'd know most of the campaign money for the Republican Party tends to come from just a few extremely large donations from a few very, very rich men where as the Dems tend to get their money from lots of small donations from lots of different people. Yes, those few very rich men really do want something for their $40 millions in giving (from just one guy last year) so they really are trying to buy special favors just for themselves. That means the party elite tends to be in the pocket of a few very wealthy people doing mostly what those few elite rich old men want them to do.

The problem is the wealthy elite aren't numerous to win elections. That's why Republicans love, love, love social war wedge issues. It's how you convince the stupid trash in the trailer park to vote against their personal interests and instead side with the few wealthy guys because they're so afraid that letting gay people marry would mean their wife would leave them, or they go along with the Republican race baiting because they're afraid their daughter will date a black guy, or feminism, or abortion, or name any of a half dozen other wedge issues Republicans love to fool stupid people with. It's all just smoke and mirrors to fool stupid people into voting against their own interests and it works.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The big problem with the GOP is their dependence on uneducated poor voters in rural areas.

I agree with Jindall but it won't work. He is an outsider and isn't one of them. The GOP elite only listen to old white men... until they die off it will be more of the same.
But its ok for the Democrats to pander to and rely on uneducated poor voters in large cities?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This whole attitude that Conservatives have about being uniquely qualified about what makes somebody an American only further isolates you.

Keep this up and you will be a regional party that the rest of America leaves behind.
Don't try to falsely attribute the ridculous comment of one guy to "Conservatives" (you even capitalized it).

If you have to have stormed the beaches of Normandy in order to qualify as a "real American," for starters that means you have to be at least 85 years old or so.

Jindal is quite popular among conservatives, so obviously few if any would agree with that ridiculous remark. Sheer disgusting opportunism to try to take a comment like that and pin it on the entire conservative movement.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Huntsman is by far my candidate of choice and he was during the primaries as well. Huntsman represents what the GOP needs to be. He is a smart businessman with solid ideas. Just the fact alone that the served in Obama's adminstration served in damning him in the primaries. It's a shame that bipartisanship today is such a negative. I wonder if the democrats would scapegoat a candidate for working with the GOP in the past...hard to say I guess. But anyway...Huntsman's governance of Utah was exceptional and he did a great job at managing the state balance sheets. I believe that it was regarded as the "best run" state in the US during his tenure. Huntsman also grew up Mormon but I definitely wouldn't define Huntsman as a "mormon politician."
Huntsman isn't a politician at all; he's a statesman. He's what we need in the White House. Let's hope he chooses to run again in 2016.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I don't think any "Jindal" was storming the beaches of Normandy or fighting for our freedoms at the Battle of the Bulge.

He isn't a real American and his opinion means nothing to most Southerners.

WTF does that mean?
Bobby was born in Baton Rouge and he is most definitely a "Real American."
He is brilliant. You will never hear him say "Uhm." He's no good on
a teleprompter; they don't go fast enough. I had the pleasure of meeting
him once and told him that I couldn't wait 'til he became President.
This Southerner is 100% for Bobby Jindal.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
This goofy quack still thinks creationism should be taught in school. He's just doing what Romney did, telling folks whatever they want to hear..Got Romney the nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections