Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph View Post
You know all the answers, don't you?
I know when I have been sold out by people who should have stood for responsibility and accountability and fixing the economy and small government...and instead brought us toothless backwater hick bible-thumping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.

In fact, the Republican party as is sold us out to the religious nut jobs by adhering to policies and by pressing idiotic, pointless social agendas that no reasonable, civilized person could get behind...thereby allowing the democrats with their redistributive, nation-destroying asinine ideology to win.

If they had really cared about saving the country, they wouldn't have insisted on that idiotic religious garbage that has no place in politics.
Very good post. I used to be republican for over 20 years. When the GOP got hijacked by the Religious Reich I bailed out.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
While the so-called ''social conservatives'' have come to dominate the GOP, in a way it's not just their fault, it's the whole current Republican culture, that has come to stand for resistance to any kind of change, progress and even science, at the very time when that's precisely what modern life is demanding of everyone!

So instead of proposing intelligent alternatives for coping with all that relentless change, while safeguarding and ''conserving'' all that's still good and useful... instead we just get the party of ''NO'' along with a bunch of brain-dead reactionary ideology! So it ain't just the religious nuts, who are only the most obvious symptom, it's the whole damn GOP that needs to re-invent itself and what it stands for.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph View Post
No, gays haven't earned their rights just yet. Give it another 30 years and try your luck then
You don't "earn" rights.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Yes, but it will never happen because the Republican party sold their soul to the religious nutjobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know when I have been sold out by people who should have stood for responsibility and accountability and fixing the economy and small government...and instead brought us toothless backwater hick bible-thumping.
Hear, hear!

The party has devolved to the point where it is actually representative of the very opposite of conservativism. The GOP is most certainly not fiscally conservative, and when they seek to interfere in the personal choices of citizens, or legislate discrimination of one or other group of citizens, they could not be further apart from true conservative ideals.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
While the so-called ''social conservatives'' have come to dominate the GOP, in a way it's not just their fault, it's the whole current Republican culture, that has come to stand for resistance to any kind of change, progress and even science, at the very time when that's precisely what modern life is demanding of everyone!

So instead of proposing intelligent alternatives for coping with all that relentless change, while safeguarding and ''conserving'' all that's still good and useful... instead we just get the party of ''NO'' along with a bunch of brain-dead reactionary ideology! So it ain't just the religious nuts, who are only the most obvious symptom, it's the whole damn GOP that needs to re-invent itself and what it stands for.
Pretty much.

The religious bigots are only part of the problem. They're not going to change, but will apparently insist that working tirelessly to deny equality and discriminate against gay people doesn't actually make them anti-gay.

Even in some fantasy world where they do stop pushing the bigot agenda, they're still unappealing to any sane person thanks to their anti-science agenda, their anti-education agenda, the epic failure is their economic policies, and their failed "defense" policies.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Yes, it is. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Gays are going through the same war that Black people had to fight to realize their full civil and human rights. As with the Civil Rights legislation of the 1960s, even when laws are passed reinforcing protected class status and full civil rights for gays, there will always be those who cannot accept it.

I feel sad for those who cannot shed their bigotry, such as the Boy Scouts. They will render themselves irrelevant in May if they do not with one voice affirm the rights and worth of all people. The GOP needs to do likewise, but they have done so much damage to their brand already that they may find it difficult being believed even if they are sincere. The world is changing, for the better. Those who stand in the way will be run over.
Exactly...separate is NOT equal!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
The GOP needs to do likewise, but they have done so much damage to their brand already that they may find it difficult being believed even if they are sincere.
That is perhaps the biggest problem for the GOP.

Say they suddenly come out in support of gay rights. Will anyone believe they actually changed their mind? Or will it just be seen as a cynical ploy to get more votes?

They have zero credibility on the issue and pretending that they suddenly stopped hating homosexuals isn't going to help. They need to actually show that they've changed, which they won't, because they haven't.

It's a problem that is inherent to always being on the wrong side of social justice. When it becomes socially unacceptably to hate a certain group, you can't keep hating them openly and still win elections, but you can't stop hating them unless you can find another group to hate in their place. There always needs to be an "other" to unite against.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 02-10-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Thats cute! It's not just the marriage thing, how about DADT? And just look at all the nasty little remarks against gay folks put on here by right wingers on City Data.

And if your so concerned about marriage, go after folks who get divorced. Make it where they can only get married once. If they get divorced then treat them like the gays are treated.
you are talking a handful on CD and yes,there are some. There will always be bigots in the world, but it isn't the party overall. And did I say I was concerned about marriage? I said, just because a lot of Republicans are not in favor of gay marriage doesn't mean they are not for gay rights. I happen to have a foster daughter, who we adore and she has had the same partner for 20 years. We just celebrated their anniversary on a family cruise. She even has mixed feelings about gay marriage. This has nothing to do with divorce. .We are talking GOP and gay rights, not divorce...

Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Yes, but it will never happen because the Republican party sold their soul to the religious nutjobs.
This^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections