Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would vote for:
Obama 48 45.28%
Romney 26 24.53%
Other 23 21.70%
I would not vote 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
Obama, easily. And I'm not even particularly a fan (definitely not a Democrat, God forbid :-p). But the GOP is like some cartoon villain at this point. I wouldn't trust them with taking out my trash, leave alone run the Government.

Marco Rubio? Yeah, I heard he's thirsty...for power :-p I can't imagine what kind of a person would be impressed with someone like Rubio...
so you are not a Democrat and you seem to really hate Republicans, that leaves you pretty much an independent which doesn't have a clue what they are, am I right? Most independents do lean one way or the other, those who seem to dislike both sides are in the minority...

Is Rubio thirsty for power? Show me a politician that is not? As for what kind of a person would support him, well, it seems like a lot would. Why do you feel so strongly about him? Are you a liberal that doesn't like the conservative views he holds? Are you totally anti immigration? Do you not like the fact he is an American of Cuban ancestry? There must be some reason for you to feel so strongly about him. Who would you like to see as president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Ron Paul didn't run in the general election.

Perhaps you didn't get the memo, he didn't get his party's nomination.
shame for the party, wasn't it?

seeing how they lost and all.

nmnita, unfortunately rubio is not a conservative and not going to be very helpful to people who actually are. I don't think anybody objects to his nationality, but his lack of support for the citizens-along with most of the rest of congress, sadly.

on a side note, anybody who would vote for obama again really is clueless, or not paying attention.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
One guy whos biggest achievement is outsourcing American jobs vs a guy who wante to bring in 20 million illegals so Americans wont have the jobs anyway.

Six of one, half dozen of another. We lose either way. One party wants to screw us one direction, the other party screws you the other direction. Nothing will change as Americans are blind to this, these forums are a shining example of it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Obama, easily. And I'm not even particularly a fan (definitely not a Democrat, God forbid :-p). But the GOP is like some cartoon villain at this point. I wouldn't trust them with taking out my trash, leave alone run the Government.

Marco Rubio? Yeah, I heard he's thirsty...for power :-p I can't imagine what kind of a person would be impressed with someone like Rubio...
I agree wholeheartedly with both sentiments....and I am anything but a liberal, a progressive, or a Democrat.

The GOP's only hope of salvation is to start working for average Americans and not the mega-corporations that have milked us nearly dry and wreaked havoc with the life quality we once enjoyed.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM

211 posts, read 301,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so you are not a Democrat and you seem to really hate Republicans, that leaves you pretty much an independent which doesn't have a clue what they are, am I right? Most independents do lean one way or the other, those who seem to dislike both sides are in the minority...

Is Rubio thirsty for power? Show me a politician that is not? As for what kind of a person would support him, well, it seems like a lot would. Why do you feel so strongly about him? Are you a liberal that doesn't like the conservative views he holds? Are you totally anti immigration? Do you not like the fact he is an American of Cuban ancestry? There must be some reason for you to feel so strongly about him. Who would you like to see as president?
I don't hate Republicans, but the GOP platform and their approach toward governance deeply concerns me.I'm independent of party ideology, but have strong convictions about personal freedoms, compassion and an intellectual approach toward laws. I'm fairly conservative in how society should function, but very liberal in making accommodations for those that are different. That hardly means I hate both conservatism and liberalism!

My comment on Rubio's thirst was a very bad pun and for that, I apologize But Rubio is clearly pandering to a vote bank. I have no problems with a politician leveraging his background, but Rubio just comes across as insincere and power-hungry. I will, however, grant that someone like Bill Clinton could be very convincing in appearance while harboring dishonorable characteristics (though, I think Bill Clinton more than made up for his personal failings with his executive prowess).

Finally, I'm an immigrant myself but I don't let my ethnicity dictate my politics. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley, for instance, share my ethnicity but virtually none of my political inclinations.

At this point, I'm quite happy with Barack Obama as President. Not because he's doing such a bang up job, but after the last guy that ran the place, Obama is a much safer bet. Unlike most voters, I don't think the President is nearly as omnipotent as the title might seem to suggest. More than who I'd like to see as President, I think the pertinent question is who I'd like to see running Congress. While it's definitely not Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi, I can't tolerate people like Mitch McConnell or Eric Cantor (Boehner actually seems more reasonable, though subservient to party agenda) who sabotage the process without contributing anything positive.

The Conservatives may think they know best, but until they learn to accept the fact that half the country thinks differently from them, they're not going to get my vote. Honestly, I'd be fine with a Conservative government if only they didn't behave like fascists. Conservatism is a fine and vital principle. It just rests in the hands of extraordinarily inept people today.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I don't hate Republicans, but the GOP platform and their approach toward governance deeply concerns me.I'm independent of party ideology, but have strong convictions about personal freedoms, compassion and an intellectual approach toward laws. I'm fairly conservative in how society should function, but very liberal in making accommodations for those that are different. That hardly means I hate both conservatism and liberalism!

My comment on Rubio's thirst was a very bad pun and for that, I apologize But Rubio is clearly pandering to a vote bank. I have no problems with a politician leveraging his background, but Rubio just comes across as insincere and power-hungry. I will, however, grant that someone like Bill Clinton could be very convincing in appearance while harboring dishonorable characteristics (though, I think Bill Clinton more than made up for his personal failings with his executive prowess).

Finally, I'm an immigrant myself but I don't let my ethnicity dictate my politics. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley, for instance, share my ethnicity but virtually none of my political inclinations.

At this point, I'm quite happy with Barack Obama as President. Not because he's doing such a bang up job, but after the last guy that ran the place, Obama is a much safer bet. Unlike most voters, I don't think the President is nearly as omnipotent as the title might seem to suggest. More than who I'd like to see as President, I think the pertinent question is who I'd like to see running Congress. While it's definitely not Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi, I can't tolerate people like Mitch McConnell or Eric Cantor (Boehner actually seems more reasonable, though subservient to party agenda) who sabotage the process without contributing anything positive.

The Conservatives may think they know best, but until they learn to accept the fact that half the country thinks differently from them, they're not going to get my vote. Honestly, I'd be fine with a Conservative government if only they didn't behave like fascists. Conservatism is a fine and vital principle. It just rests in the hands of extraordinarily inept people today.
you say the conservatives have to accept 1/2 the country thinks differently from them, and they have to accept this: well, what about the other 1/2? Do you think conservatives should sell themselves short by bending? I am a moderate Republican, I am fiscally very conservative but socially pretty middle of the road, depending on the issue. I don't want to see Republicans bend so much they become nothing but leftist with Rs next to their names. We will never be totally satisfied with a candidate, but we will choose to vote , hopefully for the person that comes the closest to sharing our views.

As for who runs the congress, this isn't up to you or me, this is up to the senators and congressmen and women, and has nothing to do with how we vote.

It sounds to me like you are more stressing what you don't like instead of what you do like, looking at the negative, not the positive.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
you say the conservatives have to accept 1/2 the country thinks differently from them, and they have to accept this: well, what about the other 1/2? Do you think conservatives should sell themselves short by bending? I am a moderate Republican, I am fiscally very conservative but socially pretty middle of the road, depending on the issue. I don't want to see Republicans bend so much they become nothing but leftist with Rs next to their names. We will never be totally satisfied with a candidate, but we will choose to vote , hopefully for the person that comes the closest to sharing our views.

As for who runs the congress, this isn't up to you or me, this is up to the senators and congressmen and women, and has nothing to do with how we vote.

It sounds to me like you are more stressing what you don't like instead of what you do like, looking at the negative, not the positive.
Bending? Are you suggesting that it's somehow unprincipled to acknowledge different points of view? Then that's exactly why I won't be voting Republican any time soon. The "other half" cannot impose their views on the rest of the nation. It's entirely possible to lead a life based on conservative principles without insisting that EVERYONE should lead a life based on conservative principles.

Clearly, you see politicians with a label beside their name. I'd rather see them as moral and principled individuals, regardless of their party affiliation.

Yes, I suppose I am taking a rather negative view of politics. But in the current environment can you really blame me?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Bending? Are you suggesting that it's somehow unprincipled to acknowledge different points of view? Then that's exactly why I won't be voting Republican any time soon. The "other half" cannot impose their views on the rest of the nation. It's entirely possible to lead a life based on conservative principles without insisting that EVERYONE should lead a life based on conservative principles.

Clearly, you see politicians with a label beside their name. I'd rather see them as moral and principled individuals, regardless of their party affiliation.

Yes, I suppose I am taking a rather negative view of politics. But in the current environment can you really blame me?
do I blame you for taking a negative view? No, not really, but I do disagree as to whether either side thinks we should all think the way they do: actually both pretty much think this way. That is why this forum is so popular and why you see very few on one side even trying to understand the other side. As for seeing people based on party lines, actually you are seeing this much more so than I do. You have jsut admitted you would not vote for a Republican anytime soon. I vote both sides almost every election. In fact I am considering voting for a Democrat here in AR for senate next year and maybe governor. I have only voted straight ticket once in my 50 plus years of voting.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
do I blame you for taking a negative view? No, not really, but I do disagree as to whether either side thinks we should all think the way they do: actually both pretty much think this way. That is why this forum is so popular and why you see very few on one side even trying to understand the other side. As for seeing people based on party lines, actually you are seeing this much more so than I do. You have jsut admitted you would not vote for a Republican anytime soon. I vote both sides almost every election. In fact I am considering voting for a Democrat here in AR for senate next year and maybe governor. I have only voted straight ticket once in my 50 plus years of voting.
I would not vote Republican anytime soon not because of the party name, but because Republicans are tripping all over themselves trying to dictate how people should think and feel. If that changes, and Republicans can put forth a conservative platform that does not impinge on the rights of others, I'd be happy to vote Republican.

Yes, there are plenty on the left that take just as didactic an approach toward policy, particularly with the LGBT agenda. I'd argue you are able to vote Democrat only because there's a mix of ideologies, including conservatism, in the Democratic Party. Or are you saying you voted for a liberal, progressive Democrat because he/she was honest and straight-forward? I doubt it

Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I would not vote Republican anytime soon not because of the party name, but because Republicans are tripping all over themselves trying to dictate how people should think and feel. If that changes, and Republicans can put forth a conservative platform that does not impinge on the rights of others, I'd be happy to vote Republican.

Yes, there are plenty on the left that take just as didactic an approach toward policy, particularly with the LGBT agenda. I'd argue you are able to vote Democrat only because there's a mix of ideologies, including conservatism, in the Democratic Party. Or are you saying you voted for a liberal, progressive Democrat because he/she was honest and straight-forward? I doubt it
actually yes, but I never said they were progressive or liberal. They were honest and straight forward, so regardless as to having a R or D next to their name, I vote for the person who comes close to my views on life. You are saying you would not vote for a Republican because they all want to dictate how we think and live. You know absolutely nothing about the party if you think that. Not all Republicans are overly conservative, most believe strongly in states rights, which is more a libertarian idea. I don't know you, but from what you are posting I think you vote party line more than you want to think. Maybe you should learn what the "official platform" for either party means? It means little or nothing, it is drawn up by a few and not voted on by the entire party. What does the Democrat platform stand for that makes you favor it so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections