Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,273,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
I think Christie is the only one who could appeal to a wide enough segment of the population and states to have any chance in hell, and I think he has irrevocably damaged himself with his scandals. In other words there is no GOP candidate with a chance against Hillary.
Obama hugger. No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No one.

Rand Paul is their best shot. I disagree with his ideology but I respect his willingness to address issues facing this country rather than blindly pointing the finger at Democrats. He also takes an honest look at his own party's demographic issues, and has attempted to reach out to minority communities to "sell" his platform. Again, I wouldn't vote for him but he seems like their best candidate. Respectable guy (by political standards at least).
If Rand Paul or Ted Cruz becomes the candidate, every liberal slug and zombie will rise up from beneath the ground (along with the usual dead Dem voters) to vote against them. Also, the establishment Republicans will stop at nothing to stop a true conservative from winning the candidacy in the first place. We will almost certainly end up with an establishment "business as usual, stay on the teat" candidate like Bush. The hogs at the trough in Washington don't want any real change. It's going all their way already.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM

38,925 posts, read 24,048,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If Rand Paul or Ted Cruz becomes the candidate, every liberal slug and zombie will rise up from beneath the ground (along with the usual dead Dem voters) to vote against them. Also, the establishment Republicans will stop at nothing to stop a true conservative from winning the candidacy in the first place. We will almost certainly end up with an establishment "business as usual, stay on the teat" candidate like Bush. The hogs at the trough in Washington don't want any real change. It's going all their way already.
Just like how Obama went from being the candidate of hope and change into being a president offering "more of the same?"

Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,432,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Just like how Obama went from being the candidate of hope and change into being a president offering "more of the same?"

block, block, block, block, block, BLOCK!

*Points finger*

Obaaaaaaaaama didn't get anything done!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,063,856 times
NO Republicans have a chance in '16, '20, or anytime in the future, until they lose the Tea Party and the Evangelical influences.
As long as they continue to alienate women, gays, immigrants, etc., they WILL lose.
Hillary Clinton will be the President from '17-25.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,037,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and speaking of CA you are proving my point: it hasn't always been blue; the pendulum does swing and will again. Will it be 2016 or 2030, no one knows. My argument isn't so much with the probability of a republican winning as it is with posters that are so patrician they can not admit it is possible. It is more than just a remote chance if Hillary decides not to run. .
No, it is a REMOTE chance. The Blue Wall isn't going to change based on the nominee, it held throughout 4 different nominees spanning 7 elections.

I can win Powerball, but I don't budget based on doing so.

The Mets could win the World Series-I'm not budgeting for needing tickets.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM

33 posts, read 30,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's still pretty early in the cycle but recent polls have Hillary whomping the heck out of the GOP in almost all the demographics except older while men. Who does the GOP have that will stop the democratic juggernaut from a far bigger win than 2012? No one is standing out as a viable contender at this stage.

Why would it be so great if Hillary wins over any GOP candidate? Does she support the middle class or big business and the rich? Isnt she a MIC hawk too?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,146,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
NO Republicans have a chance in '16, '20, or anytime in the future, until they lose the Tea Party and the Evangelical influences.
As long as they continue to alienate women, gays, immigrants, etc., they WILL lose.

Hillary Clinton will be the President from '17-25.
Well said, I keep making posts on here talking about how we (the GOP) need to become more moderate and inclusive of non-Whites and the youth but nobody seems to be interested. We NEED to become a party with a considerable minority membership if we want to become anything more than a permanent opposition party.

Can't people see how the Religious Right and the Tea Party lunatics are hurting the GOP brand?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,254,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Well said, I keep making posts on here talking about how we (the GOP) need to become more moderate and inclusive of non-Whites and the youth but nobody seems to be interested. We NEED to become a party with a considerable minority membership if we want to become anything more than a permanent opposition party.

Can't people see how the Religious Right and the Tea Party lunatics are hurting the GOP brand?
t

What do you think we need to do to excite the youth for instance? Do we have to adopt some of the Libertarian views? If so, many have or are leaning that way. Do you think we attract more voters by letting the government run our lives? If so, that isn't what most really do want. You talk moderate and that is fine in some ways, but I don't want 2 parties that think exactly alike. Why even have another party? I do not think the GOP intends to shut out any group of voters except those who want to give the country away or put us even further in debt by supporting every public program anyone can think of.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,432,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
t

What do you think we need to do to excite the youth for instance? Do we have to adopt some of the Libertarian views? If so, many have or are leaning that way. Do you think we attract more voters by letting the government run our lives? If so, that isn't what most really do want. You talk moderate and that is fine in some ways, but I don't want 2 parties that think exactly alike. Why even have another party? I do not think the GOP intends to shut out any group of voters except those who want to give the country away or put us even further in debt by supporting every public program anyone can think of.
For one, you need to understand the difference between voodoo economics and actual economics. The GOP complains about spending, yet issues wars and tax cuts to send the deficit into the stratosphere. The establishment in Washington knows how government finances work - DEFICITS DO NOT MATTER! Deficits are how money is created.

For two, the libertarian views are the best way to reach younger voters. Believe it or not, most Gen Y voters are libertarian. They aren't really stauchly liberal or conservative. I am in Gen Y, and I am a left libertarian. Even the younger voters that lean GOP are right libertarian as opposed to neoconservative. Left and right libertarians have more in common than the fringes of "liberals" and "conservatives." It might be something to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections