Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,473,558 times

Advertisements

Urbanlife,

Nobody has said that the republicans will surge in Oregon except for you.

What was said is that the democrats will loose their strong hold to other parties, as democratic voters mature and get more disillusioned with the democratic party...

Very different than what you keep saying.

Pay attention.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,916,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'll bet Chris Dudley is kicking himself that he didn't run for governor this year instead of in 2010. He would have totally have been ahead at this point. With the recent news stories around Kitzhaber the Republicans could have had a lead at this point if they didn't run a weak candidate like Richardson.
I doubt it. I'm sure he's doing just fine being a millionaire wealth manager and doing charity work.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,269,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Urbanlife,

Nobody has said that the republicans will surge in Oregon except for you.

What was said is that the democrats will loose their strong hold to other parties, as democratic voters mature and get more disillusioned with the democratic party...

Very different than what you keep saying.

Pay attention.
Ah yes, basically Republicans in Oregon are just hoping Democrats magically one day start voting Republican. I am paying attention and this idearly that Oregon will go back to being a Republican stronghold is laughable and you know it.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,563,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure he's doing just fine being a millionaire wealth manager and doing charity work.
He's probably enjoying living back in San Diego as well... I mean seriously I don't blame him, who really wants to live in Salem(even if it meant being governor of a state).

Old 10-30-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I think we all understood he meant one party gubernatorial leadership.

Grown?
Yes. But not because of our governors.
Portland's reputation was really the biggest factor in the growth of Oregon.
Most people heard of, and moved to Oregon because of the Portland "lifestyle".
Most of that reputation was a result of what governors like McCall and Atiyeh implemented.
Now, the old Portland "lifestyle" has gentrified, and become something that is almost un-obtainable for average folks.

Improved?
I don't know, that's debatable.
We don't know what might have been.
My life in Portland "improved" so much that I finally got fed up with all the liberal progressive democratic bull crap and moved my ass out of town.

Things have certainly improved very slowly (economically) outside of Portland, especially the areas outside of three hours of Portland.
I am not sure I follow you here, you first Oregon has grown but not because of our governors, and then you go to credit two really important governors in Oregon history that helps shape the state to what it is today.

Cities change with age, the old Portland you know isn't the same old Portland a generation before you knew. The old Portland I know will not be the same Portland my child knows. This is just a way of life, nothing stays the same forever.

The Portland you once knew changed and no longer reflected what you wanted in a city, but those changes better reflect what I want in a city. You can't expect a city to be everything to everyone, there is always going to be people upset about change.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
He's probably enjoying living back in San Diego as well... I mean seriously I don't blame him, who really wants to live in Salem(even if it meant being governor of a state).
That is actually very unfortunately true. I would love to see Oregon really use a regional rail system that made a quicker connection to Salem with Portland. There really is no excuse for Salem to have the reputation that it has.

And that is true, one can't run for governor in Oregon when they live in San Diego.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,563,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is actually very unfortunately true. I would love to see Oregon really use a regional rail system that made a quicker connection to Salem with Portland. There really is no excuse for Salem to have the reputation that it has.

And that is true, one can't run for governor in Oregon when they live in San Diego.
Funny that the "old school native Oregonian" crowd didn't care that Dudley was born in Connecticut and raised in Torrey Pines(Southern California!)--I guess being a transplant is okay as long as you're a Republican. Just like no one really cared that Tom McCall was a transplant or if Victor Atiyeh's parents immigrated from Syria. Though the population of Oregon has been about 40-45% people born out of state pretty consistently since 1900.

And I have nothing against Dudley personally, from all I've heard he sounds like a nice, decent guy--I wasn't even that against him possibly being governor when he ran against Kitzhaber, he was very moderate compared to Richardson.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,916,522 times
Here's some new information. GoLocalPDX has filed a complaint with the AG

GoLocalPDX | GoLocalPDX Files Complaint with AG Over Kitzhaber

Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I am not sure I follow you here, you first Oregon has grown but not because of our governors, and then you go to credit two really important governors in Oregon history that helps shape the state to what it is today.

Cities change with age, the old Portland you know isn't the same old Portland a generation before you knew. The old Portland I know will not be the same Portland my child knows. This is just a way of life, nothing stays the same forever.

The Portland you once knew changed and no longer reflected what you wanted in a city, but those changes better reflect what I want in a city. You can't expect a city to be everything to everyone, there is always going to be people upset about change.
Did you notice that I credited two Republican governors?

The ones that introduced things like free beaches, the bottle bill, statewide food banks, and the Columbia gorge scenic area?

The ones that had a huge part in making Portland, and Oregon a great place to live?

Then Oregon got "discovered" and everybody in the US flocked to Portland?

The "growth" happened because Portland got famous.

Portland got famous because of Republicans.

In contrast, Kitzhaber makes Oregon famous by being featured on Inside Edition because he couldn't keep the wick out of the crazy during his mid-life crisis.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-30-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, basically Republicans in Oregon are just hoping Democrats magically one day start voting Republican. I am paying attention and this idearly that Oregon will go back to being a Republican stronghold is laughable and you know it.
You either just don't get it or you just plain don't understand what people are saying to you.

Absolutely no one is suggesting that Oregon will become a republican stronghold except for you.

What is being said is that the democratic stronghold in Oregon is weakening, in large part because of the antics and crimes of our current democratic governor, KITZHABER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections