Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 AM

143 posts, read 651,723 times

Advertisements

I am a Ron Paul supporter, but even I have to admit he sounded a little crack-potish this morning on MSNBC. I realize we shouldn't be discussing a war from the 1860s, but when got off on a tangent about Lincoln not needing to go to war he sounded a little off his rocker. Not that he was wrong, its just that there are some roads you stay away from when you're running for office. I like him; I think he would bring reason back to the office of the presidency. I will vote for him, but I don't think he is politically savy enough to win over mainstream America. He is also too smart at a time when intellect does not garner much respect in this country, sadly.

Does anyone honestly think he can really win the Primary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
I am a Ron Paul supporter, but even I have to admit he sounded a little crack-potish this morning on MSNBC. I realize we shouldn't be discussing a war from the 1860s, but when got off on a tangent about Lincoln not needing to go to war he sounded a little off his rocker. Not that he was wrong, its just that there are some roads you stay away from when you're running for office. I like him; I think he would bring reason back to the office of the presidency. I will vote for him, but I don't think he is politically savy enough to win over mainstream America. He is also too smart at a time when intellect does not garner much respect in this country, sadly.

Does anyone honestly think he can really win the Primary?
I agree wih what you say.. sometimes he's a little..... odd. But at the same time, he's the only one that offers something diffren than the standard politician talk.

Do I think he can win the republican party? Possibly. Will I bet my life on it? No.

But I refuse to support the other candidates.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Transcript? Or at least the context?

The civil war was discussed on Meet the Press after Tim Russert brought it up. Maybe this is just being revisited by Joe.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
I have to see the interview. I don't know why Paul would be talking about the 1860s. I think Lincoln was the greatest president this country ever had. I withhold judgment until I see the interview.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM

143 posts, read 651,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Transcript? Or at least the context?

The civil war was discussed on Meet the Press after Tim Russert brought it up. Maybe this is just being revisited by Joe.

Sorry, the transcript/video hasn't made it to MSNBC's website yet. It was a follow up from Meet the Press, but the interveiwer was a little more rough than Russert. He started by giving Dr. Paul an "oppurtunity to renounce his own statements about Lincoln starting the Civil War".

The subject of the interview is pretty irrelevant, but I think it illustrates the fact that as great as Paul is, he may be incapable of winning an election.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 AM

419 posts, read 2,018,749 times
He seems more like an aging tenured college professor talking to Political Science students than a Leader of the Free World.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I have to see the interview. I don't know why Paul would be talking about the 1860s. I think Lincoln was the greatest president this country ever had. I withhold judgment until I see the interview.
Lincoln is HIGHLY overrated and has been elevated in status due to much revision. Lincoln went to war to "preserve the Union" in order to keep excessive revenues rolling in from the south. The slavery issue was not important to him as he even said if he could preserve the union without freeing a single slave, he would do it. He also supported legislation that kept blacks from public office and jury duty, and supported deportation of slaves to Africa or Central America.

He also suspended habeas corpus to a degree that would make GWB look like a big supporter of habeas corpus for everyone. He imprisoned political rivals, and he shut down dissenting newspapers. He led the charge to a war that took the lives of 600,000 Americans in order to secure a union that would grant federal power beyond what was initially intended by the founded fathers. John Wilkes Booth is a hero.

I really have no problem when people criticsize Abe Lincoln because what we have been sold in public schools is falsehoods.

Ron Paul's platform is actually built much upon getting rid of things that began with Abe Lincoln as president, so I think its somewhat relevant that the topic is brought up.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
He seems more like an aging tenured college professor talking to Political Science students than a Leader of the Free World.
Yeah, you are right, Paul does on occasion appear this way. However compared to our current leader who struggles to articulate words with more than one syllable or leaves people wondering how many sheets of blotter acid he ate in college, I'll take crusty old political science professor.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Oh, and to add, Paul will be on the Situation Room today with Wolf Blitzer and again will be interviewed by Tucker Carlson on his show this evening. I have no doubt that between these two, this question will likely get asked again.

I did not realize Tucker endorsed Ron Paul, something I found while looking for his schedule today.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
This will be the upside of ronpaul starting to get some media attention, the more he talks the more of his outrageous positions and opinions come out, therefore he will start to get more opportunities because the media loves a train wreck, the clock is ticking, I think paul's 15 minutes are about halfway gone. Then once he sinks himself, we can listen to all his supporters drone on, with all their conspiracies, how the system is rigged and the two party's, republicans , Bush, corporations yada,yada yada.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections