Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
We do in NY but the recent vote had a proposed Amendment which would allow the government and legislature to re-draw the lines. Looks like the Democrats want to gerrymander New York (not that we need to).

Strawman. That poster uttered no such thing.

While this is true, it is a false equivalency.

Democrats do not gerrymander to the same extent Republicans do. Democrats' Gerrymandering is really only outrageous in parts of Florida, Illinois, and Maryland. Republicans do it in every state they can get their hands on, including the purple states.
Another example of false statements, denial and political bigotry from this poster. It follow his posting history and as such does not deserve the effort it would take to show him how wrong he is, blind in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:15 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
I just had a thought:

since the Dem mantra here is the evils a gerrymandering and the unfairness of it all, we;;let's assume they are correct. Let's outlaw gerrymandering and then........................

................allow the GOP to continue gerrymandering for another 200 years whether they win the election or not. After all is that not the premise behind affirmative action? After all, gerrymandering disenfranchised voters for 200 years, with the claim that it currently disenfranchises voters, hence the same occurred when dems did it, we must make amends.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I just had a thought:

since the Dem mantra here is the evils a gerrymandering and the unfairness of it all, we;;let's assume they are correct. Let's outlaw gerrymandering and then........................

................allow the GOP to continue gerrymandering for another 200 years whether they win the election or not. After all is that not the premise behind affirmative action? After all, gerrymandering disenfranchised voters for 200 years, with the claim that it currently disenfranchises voters, hence the same occurred when dems did it, we must make amends.
What is done is Constitutionally required.

All About Redistricting -- Where the lines are drawn

Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Then the obvious question becomes, why such low turnout in 2014?
Because this was not a presidential election year so low information voters stayed home. You see, low information voters think that only presidential elections matter so they only vote then. They tend to not know the names of local elected officials so when they vote for president---be it R or D---they, like automatons, just vote straight party line---but some just vote for president and ignore the rest of the ballot.

These are the same people who are shocked, I tell you! just shocked! when their property taxes get raised. You then ask them something along the lines of "Did you vote in the election where the board of supervisors were on the ballot?" Then they say "No". Or if a law passes on a state level that they are outraged about, "Did you vote for state senator or rep?" Again, the answer is "No".

It's amazing how many low information voters there are!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:06 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why low Democrat turnout?
Apathy I guess

Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
My favorite gerrymandered state is Ohio. In 2012, the Democratic candidates for the US House got 52% of the votes in Ohio, yet the Republican candidates won 12 of the 16 house seat. So one side gets 52% of the vote, but only 25% of the representation. Ahh, democracy
It's actually a representative republic.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I just had a thought:

since the Dem mantra here is the evils a gerrymandering and the unfairness of it all,
Unfair gerrymandering is the mantra in THIS thread. In multiple other threads the mantra has been any one of the following:

The anger of white men, the stupidity of white women, the low voter turnout, the stupidity of Democrats, racism of the GOP, racism of the south, the stupidity of Republicans, the stupidity of all Americans. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

I understood the anger for a couple of days. The final outcomes were a bit of a shock, even to those who knew that Dems were going to lose, and lose big. But now it is just embarassing. This party - and the mindless fools that have defended the indefensible for so many years - are imploding before our very eyes.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Democracy is flawed because it allows Republicans, whose policies don't work and are unpopular, to influence elections unfairly. This must be corrected by the 2016 elections. Republicans foolishly try to deceive people into thinking they are popular, when in actuality, they can only win by cheating.

Gerrymandering Rigged the 2014 Elections for Republican Advantage |
It had nothing to do with gerrymandering. Dems just didn't come out to vote. It happens.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Unfair gerrymandering is the mantra in THIS thread. In multiple other threads the mantra has been any one of the following:

The anger of white men, the stupidity of white women, the low voter turnout, the stupidity of Democrats, racism of the GOP, racism of the south, the stupidity of Republicans, the stupidity of all Americans. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

I understood the anger for a couple of days. The final outcomes were a bit of a shock, even to those who knew that Dems were going to lose, and lose big. But now it is just embarassing. This party - and the mindless fools that have defended the indefensible for so many years - are imploding before our very eyes.

There has actually been a Democratic Party official on TV here in San Diego blaming the results on "those old white selfish New Deal and Great Society types". If only my Great grandma could have lived to see that.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Democracy is flawed because it allows Republicans, whose policies don't work and are unpopular, to influence elections unfairly. This must be corrected by the 2016 elections. Republicans foolishly try to deceive people into thinking they are popular, when in actuality, they can only win by cheating.

Gerrymandering Rigged the 2014 Elections for Republican Advantage |
oh please...gerrymandering and carpetbagging was invented by the liberals

the liberals have gerrymandered almost every census, and do not represent the general populous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections