Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,125,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Some will. I stayed home for the Mitty Show. I decided to deprive them of my vote.
And in doing so you handed Obozo the Clown victory on a silver platter ... what a staunch conservative! *vomits*

The far right lunatics and their damn purity contests are the reason why we cannot win presidential elections. When are you people going to get it? The United States is a centrist nation, not a Teat Party nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,520,412 times
Ditch the extremist theocracts like Perry and Santorum, get rid of the bigots, stay out of the culture wars and slap Cruz and his slash and burn mentality down and I'll vote for the GOP again. Show me real fiscal responsibility, secure borders, protection from religion extremists (I'm looking at you, Muslims). Every GOP rep that makes "legitimate rape" comments and wants to roll back decades of agency for females in the country guarantees I avoid the GOP.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,209,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
And in doing so you handed Obozo the Clown victory on a silver platter ... what a staunch conservative! *vomits*

The far right lunatics and their damn purity contests are the reason why we cannot win presidential elections. When are you people going to get it? The United States is a centrist nation, not a Teat Party nation.
To quote some of the guests on the Maury and Jerry shows: "All ya'll don't know me", lol.

Far right lunatics and purity contests is why Republicans can't win a presidential election? L.M.A.O.!!!!!!!!

The danged consultants is why Republicants. Get some folks who can put together some decent messaging other than Because Obama. The Dems have much better marketing. Live with it.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,736,756 times
Not a conservative about much, but some responses below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

As a conservative, I want to see the following:

1) Secure the borders, using the military if necessary. Make E-Verify mandatory. Deport illegals not by the millions, but as they are caught one or a few at a time. We manage to arrest and jail hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens every year, and we don't care that doing so may separate a father or mother from his or her children. But illegal immigrants get a pass from Establishment Republicans because the U.S. Chamber of Commerce wants endless cheap labor for businesses and wants to keep legal U.S. citizen workers "in their place."

Generally agree about the reason there isn't a stricter policy on enforcement and using e-verify, but also think there needs to be a way to address the whole issue, not just apply patches, which might mean a path to becoming legal if certain conditions are met.

2) Stand up for our nation's sovereignty and stop supporting the anti-American United Nations.

While theoretically there is an appeal to being more isolationist, I think the world is too enmeshed in trade and travel to make this logistically a benefit.

3) Fund the government through "regular order" with appropriations bills heard in committee giving the American public an opportunity to weigh in instead of passing multi-thousand page special interest omnibus bills that nobody has a chance to read, including the people who pass them.

Absolutely. This might be the one biggest fix the country could hope for.

4) Stand up to the lying liberal media and stop being such "gentlemen." The Democrats certainly are not.

I don't know what standing up or not being gentlemen would look like, so I can't really comment.

5) Force the Democrats to take votes so that they have a record that can be criticized, now that Harry Reid is no longer around to block votes.

Related to #3.

There are other things I want, but the gist overall is that I want a party that will make a strong, principled statement that makes sense to middle class voters and American citizen workers. I don't see that happening with either party right now.

And if I don't see it happening, I'm not voting at all. I've had enough of wasting my vote on these clowns.

I would hope you would use Election Day as an opportunity to write in a candidate, so it wouldn't be assumed that you were just apathetic.
The balance between electability in the general election and appealing to strict principles is a delicate one, made more difficult by the primary structure.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,772,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Anyone who doubts that the Republican Party is seriously fragmented hasn't been paying close attention.

Republicans voters in 2010 and 2014 voted for conservatives who would stand up to Obama, defund this pet programs and do whatever else was necessary to counter his liberal policies. Instead of conservatives, they got Establishment moderates who, during the recent lame-duck session, caved to Obama by passing a continuing resolution that funds Obamacare for the next year, and that does nothing to curb wasteful spending and a growing national debt that stood at about $10 trillion when Obama took office in 2009 and has now surpassed $18 trillion.

It is true that there wasn't much that Republicans could do when Democrat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was blocking Republican House legislation. But the Establishment Republicans who run the House (Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader McCarthy) showed their true colors by passing a continuing resolution that lasted almost a year instead of just two or three months. Had they passed a shorter funding bill, they would have had an opportunity to exercise the House's "power of the purse."

Now, the fact that Boehner has been reelected as Speaker only goes to show that too many Republicans who campaign as conservatives govern as Democrats-Lite. But that doesn't alter the fact that their constituents want what conservatives want. And those constituents are going to stay home after being betrayed yet again. And the Republicans will therefore lose the 2016 presidential election.

People say that Washington, D.C. is a bubble that is disconnected from reality. The behavior of Establishment Republicans certainly supports that view. They actually seem to think they can win with candidates that are far from conservative. To be specific, I'll go issue by issue:

As a conservative, I want to see the following:

1) Secure the borders, using the military if necessary. Make E-Verify mandatory. Deport illegals not by the millions, but as they are caught one or a few at a time. We manage to arrest and jail hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens every year, and we don't care that doing so may separate a father or mother from his or her children. But illegal immigrants get a pass from Establishment Republicans because the U.S. Chamber of Commerce wants endless cheap labor for businesses and wants to keep legal U.S. citizen workers "in their place."

2) Stand up for our nation's sovereignty and stop supporting the anti-American United Nations.

3) Fund the government through "regular order" with appropriations bills heard in committee giving the American public an opportunity to weigh in instead of passing multi-thousand page special interest omnibus bills that nobody has a chance to read, including the people who pass them.

4) Stand up to the lying liberal media and stop being such "gentlemen." The Democrats certainly are not.

5) Force the Democrats to take votes so that they have a record that can be criticized, now that Harry Reid is no longer around to block votes.

There are other things I want, but the gist overall is that I want a party that will make a strong, principled statement that makes sense to middle class voters and American citizen workers. I don't see that happening with either party right now.

And if I don't see it happening, I'm not voting at all. I've had enough of wasting my vote on these clowns.

I am sick of the establishment in WA too. I guess we can expect another 8 years of this progressive crap.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

And don't go chasing out people like Jim Webb, you hear me? That's how you lose votes from people like me.

YOU'RE the one that doesn't get it.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,977,993 times
The GOP definitely needs to nominate a conservative. That means realizing that Democrats are LYING when they say "I'd consider a moderate GOP candidate like ____ (Huntsman, Jeb, whoever)."

They repeat that lie every election cycle and then turn around and vote for the extremist liberal nominated by the Democrats.

The GOP needs to stop letting liberals and Democrats select its presidential nominee.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:59 AM

16,692 posts, read 8,695,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Some will. I stayed home for the Mitty Show. I decided to deprive them of my vote.
Then you and others like you have no right to ***** & moan about how bad Obama & the liberals are, since you helped to insure another 4 years of him.
Romney was not my cup of tea either, but he would have been infinitely better than Obama. Anyone who cannot see that is blinded by myopic intractable ideology.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Then you and others like you have no right to ***** & moan about how bad Obama & the liberals are, since you helped to insure another 4 years of him.
Romney was not my cup of tea either, but he would have been infinitely better than Obama. Anyone who cannot see that is blinded by myopic intractable ideology.
Are you kidding me? Where do you think the ACA came from? Romneycare!

Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 PM

JEB! is the Democratic candidate for the Republican party. He, like Romney and McCain before him, have made it abundantly clear they don't need or want my vote. This has been bolstered by my Republican rep. I got the message loud and clear and am only too happy to oblige. I'm sure they can swing some Dems over to their side, if they do enough phony pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections