Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times

Advertisements

Anyone who doubts that the Republican Party is seriously fragmented hasn't been paying close attention.

Republicans voters in 2010 and 2014 voted for conservatives who would stand up to Obama, defund this pet programs and do whatever else was necessary to counter his liberal policies. Instead of conservatives, they got Establishment moderates who, during the recent lame-duck session, caved to Obama by passing a continuing resolution that funds Obamacare for the next year, and that does nothing to curb wasteful spending and a growing national debt that stood at about $10 trillion when Obama took office in 2009 and has now surpassed $18 trillion.

It is true that there wasn't much that Republicans could do when Democrat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was blocking Republican House legislation. But the Establishment Republicans who run the House (Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader McCarthy) showed their true colors by passing a continuing resolution that lasted almost a year instead of just two or three months. Had they passed a shorter funding bill, they would have had an opportunity to exercise the House's "power of the purse."

Now, the fact that Boehner has been reelected as Speaker only goes to show that too many Republicans who campaign as conservatives govern as Democrats-Lite. But that doesn't alter the fact that their constituents want what conservatives want. And those constituents are going to stay home after being betrayed yet again. And the Republicans will therefore lose the 2016 presidential election.

People say that Washington, D.C. is a bubble that is disconnected from reality. The behavior of Establishment Republicans certainly supports that view. They actually seem to think they can win with candidates that are far from conservative. To be specific, I'll go issue by issue:

As a conservative, I want to see the following:

1) Secure the borders, using the military if necessary. Make E-Verify mandatory. Deport illegals not by the millions, but as they are caught one or a few at a time. We manage to arrest and jail hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens every year, and we don't care that doing so may separate a father or mother from his or her children. But illegal immigrants get a pass from Establishment Republicans because the U.S. Chamber of Commerce wants endless cheap labor for businesses and wants to keep legal U.S. citizen workers "in their place."

2) Stand up for our nation's sovereignty and stop supporting the anti-American United Nations.

3) Fund the government through "regular order" with appropriations bills heard in committee giving the American public an opportunity to weigh in instead of passing multi-thousand page special interest omnibus bills that nobody has a chance to read, including the people who pass them.

4) Stand up to the lying liberal media and stop being such "gentlemen." The Democrats certainly are not.

5) Force the Democrats to take votes so that they have a record that can be criticized, now that Harry Reid is no longer around to block votes.

There are other things I want, but the gist overall is that I want a party that will make a strong, principled statement that makes sense to middle class voters and American citizen workers. I don't see that happening with either party right now.

And if I don't see it happening, I'm not voting at all. I've had enough of wasting my vote on these clowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
The Republican held Congress(both sides) can start right now by passing bills without riders or amendments attached that Obama can use as an excuse to veto them. It may be harder work to do that, but it is the best way to pin Obama down and get things passed that will work to make America strong again.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
The Republican "party" is not what you think it is. Just look what's happening. Even those new freshmen reps were eager to kiss Boehner's behind. He must've had a ton of lipstick on his butt after that vote.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
The Republican "party" is not what you think it is. Just look what's happening. Even those new freshmen reps were eager to kiss Boehner's behind. He must've had a ton of lipstick on his butt after that vote.
No lipstick involved. Just boehner's access to money.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No lipstick involved. Just boehner's access to money.

Sure, but they have to kiss his behind to get to it. Then again, his behind is probably more attractive than that awful phyzz of his.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
I saw a cartoon about a week ago. Wish I could still find it again to post it.

It was a picture of a huge American eagle (conservative voters) looking down at a tiny GOP elephant, with the slogan "We're watching".

Sums up how I feel.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
No they won't.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No they won't.
Some will. I stayed home for the Mitty Show. I decided to deprive them of my vote.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Some will. I stayed home for the Mitty Show. I decided to deprive them of my vote.
And by the way, it worked. There were just enough like me to give Mitty the gate. I might actually have voted for him, if he hadn't listened to the Republican consultants and gone all mealy-mouthed. Not to mention, I'd already taken it in the shorts from his Bain buddies. That line really did work against him. Those who got Bained and knew it, were loaded for bear. All we had to do is turn our noses up and stay home. Just enough of us did that.

JEB! is doubling down on this, so....

Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
It will be Jeb or Romney and they will take up where Bush and Obama left off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections