Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times

Advertisements

Oh boy!

Another jester for the 2016 clown car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM

491 posts, read 320,095 times
This type of suggestion that Rubio isn't a "real Latino" because of his Cuban heritage is beyond insulting. Do liberals feel that Obama isn't a true African-American because his mother was Caucasian?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

63,003 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's not what he "looks like"- rather a characteristic of the way some of his ethnic group behaves towards other Hispanics. Some of the older white cubans that I have come across are really nice people, but they like sometimes will make comments like cuba is "una nacion de espanoles"- a nation of Spaniards. In actuality, there are a lot of african descendants there as well. It is like a big white chip that they wear on their shoulders. If he were a "white Mexican", you can bet that most mexican-americans would take much more kindly to him since we're used to "white mexicans" in our own families/acquaintances. But a white cuban with a supposed superiority complex is a credibility hurdle, not one that can't be overcome. But, he's clearly not "one of us".
Not saying that Cubans and Mexicans are alike culturally or even politically but they have the common bond of Spanish being their primary language of usage. Therefore, both groups are Hispanics. Racially, Cubans are a mix of white Spaniard and black. Mexicans are a mix of white Spaniard and Indio and some are also black.

At any rate, I think the biggest difference is their political beliefs. Since Cuban-Americans are not known to want open borders or desire amnesty for illegal aliens and are mainly conservatives therefore I respect them for that. Mexicans are quite the opposite. IMO, though neither group has fully assimilated into our country because while most know English they won't use it as their primary language of usage and prefer Spanish instead.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
This type of suggestion that Rubio isn't a "real Latino" because of his Cuban heritage is beyond insulting. Do liberals feel that Obama isn't a true African-American because his mother was Caucasian?
No, because the history of this country dictates that "one drop" of black blood makes a person "black". I'm really surprised that anyone would have to explain that to you. As Obama has mentioned in his book, he ceased to mention his mothers side of the family when he was about 12 years old or so. I'm sure that it was because society already labelled him a "ab lack kid" and they didn't give a flip who his mother was.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not saying that Cubans and Mexicans are alike culturally or even politically but they have the common bond of Spanish being their primary language of usage. Therefore, both groups are Hispanics. Racially, Cubans are a mix of white Spaniard and black. Mexicans are a mix of white Spaniard and Indio and some are also black.

At any rate, I think the biggest difference is their political beliefs. Since Cuban-Americans are not known to want open borders or desire amnesty for illegal aliens and are mainly conservatives therefore I respect them for that. Mexicans are quite the opposite. IMO, though neither group has fully assimilated into our country because while most know English they won't use it as their primary language of usage and prefer Spanish instead.
I don't know which mex-Americans you've been hanging with, but MOST speak English as their primary language the Cubans that we are exposed to in politics are usually the 100% Spaniard type and some will even boast that lineage. Puerto Ricans have much more combinations than Cubans.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
No, because the history of this country dictates that "one drop" of black blood makes a person "black". I'm really surprised that anyone would have to explain that to you. As Obama has mentioned in his book, he ceased to mention his mothers side of the family when he was about 12 years old or so. I'm sure that it was because society already labelled him a "ab lack kid" and they didn't give a flip who his mother was.
Society sees Obama as black because of his skin color which favored his father but that is no reason to stay away from mentioning his mother and her side of the family. I tend to think that in Obama's case he used his "blackness" to a political advantage.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know which mex-Americans you've been hanging with, but MOST speak English as their primary language the Cubans that we are exposed to in politics are usually the 100% Spaniard type and some will even boast that lineage. Puerto Ricans have much more combinations than Cubans.
I don't "hang" with Mexicans but I live in So. Calif. and I rarely here them speaking English in public. Are my ears lying to me? I don't know of many Cubans who are 100% white-Spaniard. Most of them are a mix of white and black and are called Mulattos.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,668 times
Rubio? Don't you think we've been cured of electing first term senators to the presidency of the United States? Aren't we after some minimum level of competence and common sense, instead of the freshest speechifier?

This also applies to Cruz.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times
I think a Walker Rubio ticket would be awesome.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,374,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Indeed it is insulting, and a backdoor form of racism. Again if the same standard and thought process had been applied to Pres. Obama in 2008, he would have been rejected by black Democrats. Not only was his mother white, but his father was an elite from Kenya, in East Africa, and shared none of the background of most American blacks whose roots are from West Africa.

This thread has been revealing, and goes to show that the Democratic party is the new home of racism in 2015. It's not the supremacist, segregationist racism of white Dems in the 1950's and 60's, but it is a form of racism nonetheless. Notice the broad-brush, stereotyping of Cubans in some of the posts. That is your telltale indicator right there. Notice also that NO liberal posters step forward to cry foul. Only conservative posters step forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections