Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,116,416 times

Advertisements

He wasn't qualified to be President, anyway, in my opinion. Good decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,483,970 times
Yep, can't stand that little twit, although apparently he's still working behind the scenes, like with his "economic blueprint" that Jeb Bush is 'borrowing' for his campaign!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,619,085 times
Default Paul Ryan is Out

Oh, darn it!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 AM

5,292 posts, read 6,243,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He wasn't qualified to be President, anyway, in my opinion. Good decision.
I wouldn't vote for him but I do think he is qualified. Other than some of the Governors in states with a strong Governorship he would be one of the few politicians that familiar with writing/reviewing budgets.

I think he laid a bit of an egg in 2012- didn't really excel on the stump, lumbered through the debate and never really seemed to bring anything to the ticket. I look at his pick similarly to Lieberman's. Gore was trying to fight Clinton fatigue and Romney both the ghost of Sarah Palin & possible rightwing revolt. So they did no harm but also did not gain anything.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,116,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I wouldn't vote for him but I do think he is qualified. Other than some of the Governors in states with a strong Governorship he would be one of the few politicians that familiar with writing/reviewing budgets.

I think he laid a bit of an egg in 2012- didn't really excel on the stump, lumbered through the debate and never really seemed to bring anything to the ticket. I look at his pick similarly to Lieberman's. Gore was trying to fight Clinton fatigue and Romney both the ghost of Sarah Palin & possible rightwing revolt. So they did no harm but also did not gain anything.
If you look at Ryan's job history the man has never held any kind of executive/managerial position. I can't criticize Obama for not being qualified for president in 2008 and then turn around and vote for Paul Ryan who is just as unqualified. It just amazes me that people can go their whole life avoiding the executive/managerial job track and then all of sudden think they are qualified for the biggest executive job in the country. I like Paul Ryan. He just not qualified for THAT job. Writing and reviewing budgets has nothing to do with executing one or dealing with unanticipated issues that could impact your budget. And writing and voting for a law has nothing to do with executing one and dealing with the consequences of your decisions. If you want to run a guy (meant non-gender specifically) from the House or Senate don't pick a former lawyer/analyst/professor/etc.. Those guys are on the "consultant" track. They don't make big decisions and live and deal with the consequences. They are not leaders or they would have sought out executive/managerial positions before they became Senators or Representatives. There are some senators and reps who were former governors/mayors or ran businesses or had managerial/executive positions in government. They'd be qualified to be President, in my opinion, as would anyone who was a military leader or ran a college or some charitable organization.

Plus, besides used car salesmen and politicians, job-wise, who are the biggest obfuscators on the planet? Lawyers. That's why they make such a good fit for Senator/Representative positions.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,468,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you look at Ryan's job history the man has never held any kind of executive/managerial position. I can't criticize Obama for not being qualified for president in 2008 and then turn around and vote for Paul Ryan who is just as unqualified. It just amazes me that people can go their whole life avoiding the executive/managerial job track and then all of sudden think they are qualified for the biggest executive job in the country. I like Paul Ryan. He just not qualified for THAT job. Writing and reviewing budgets has nothing to do with executing one or dealing with unanticipated issues that could impact your budget. And writing and voting for a law has nothing to do with executing one and dealing with the consequences of your decisions. If you want to run a guy (meant non-gender specifically) from the House or Senate don't pick a former lawyer/analyst/professor/etc.. Those guys are on the "consultant" track. They don't make big decisions and live and deal with the consequences. They are not leaders or they would have sought out executive/managerial positions before they became Senators or Representatives. There are some senators and reps who were former governors/mayors or ran businesses or had managerial/executive positions in government. They'd be qualified to be President, in my opinion, as would anyone who was a military leader or ran a college or some charitable organization.

Plus, besides used car salesmen and politicians, job-wise, who are the biggest obfuscators on the planet? Lawyers. That's why they make such a good fit for Senator/Representative positions.
Ryan is serving his 9th term as Representative. He was first elected in 1999 at age 28.

Now that's a Congress critter if there ever was one. He didn't have the time to make much of any career before he was elected, and now, he is a total creature of Washington D.C.

After so much time there, he can hardly be expected to know or understand much of what's going on in the rest of the country. The mood these days, I think, runs against guys who are professional politicians.

I think you're right- when Ryan has had his fill of Congress, all he'll do is take a stroll down K Street and land a job at some lobbying outfit.

I never thought much of his use of Atlas Shrugged as being his guide for national economic policy. That pretty much sums up Ryan's qualifications for me. Ayn Rand was a novelist, not an economist, and her books were all only fantasies. Out of date fantasies now, like a lot of the stuff that was done in the 1950s.

By now, his chair in the House fits his butt better than any in the White House, and I'm sure he's more comfortable in it than any other chair in the Capitol. He will most likely run for his seat and win it again.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,216,540 times
He had no chance anyway.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,405,267 times
I like having Ryan right where he is, as chairman of the Budget Committee. He has been a big reason for the miraculous decline in federal spending since 2010. The US House Speaker has as much power as the POTUS on domestic policy, and I imagine that is Ryan's eventual target.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,320,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I like having Ryan right where he is, as chairman of the Budget Committee. He has been a big reason for the miraculous decline in federal spending since 2010. The US House Speaker has as much power as the POTUS on domestic policy, and I imagine that is Ryan's eventual target.
I think he gave up the gavel of the Budget Committee to chair Ways and Means in the new Congress. Other than Speaker, it's the most powerful position in the House.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,483,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You mean like the "reductions in spending" that aren't a cut (talk about 'voodoo economics'…lol)?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections