Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure. Anything's possible.
And who knows? Maybe Arizona loves McCain so much he can never be defeated. Strom Thurmond was senile as a fence post during his last terms in the Senate, but he was still re-elected time after time. He reached the age of 100 while still serving as a Senator. His people must have known that he wasn't capable of doing anything much for many years, but he was so loved that they couldn't imagine voting him out.

Sen. Thurmond was effective until his last few years, he was still sharp for his age during the 90's. My brother was a constituent, flew on the same flight to Washington in 1996 and found him to be very well informed.

McCain was no Thurmond, of course, he faced a serious challenge his last time out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,190,427 times
Oh no, this is bad news, wish he would quit already...

Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Oh no, this is bad news, wish he would quit already...
Why?

You don't like moderate Republicans who like to reach across the aisle, as Sen. McCain has made a career doing?

Further, McCain is always available for the Sunday morning news shows, filling up all that space on "Meet the Press" and the rest of that genre will be a hard bill to fill.

But its up to the people of Arizona, they are the ones with the choice here.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
I like McCain and he's the only incumbent that I could ever vote for BUT I do not like that he is going for what his fourth or fifth senatorial term? It's time for change and I was hopping he wasn't going for another term. I'll have to vote against him in November 2016.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
When hearing him speak, I hear nothing indicating he is suffering age-related memory issues, so I have no qualms about him running.

n

Old 04-11-2015, 01:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think he believes there's still a good many countries that need to be BOMBED NOW!
"By God, if the President won't declare war and invade when I tell them to then I'm just going to have to take over the Oval Office so I can do it myself." (should be McCain's campaign motto).

This man is a loose cannon. Obama set a precedent when he bombed Libya via a memo to Congress.
Don't think McCain doesn't have that in mind. The last place this man should occupy is the Oval Office.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,190,427 times
No doubt...

Old 04-11-2015, 09:19 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"By God, if the President won't declare war and invade when I tell them to then I'm just going to have to take over the Oval Office so I can do it myself." (should be McCain's campaign motto).

This man is a loose cannon. Obama set a precedent when he bombed Libya via a memo to Congress.
Don't think McCain doesn't have that in mind. The last place this man should occupy is the Oval Office.
The bad news is it seems highly unlikely we'll find a man/woman who should occupy the Oval Office.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,836,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
John McCain just announced he will run for another term. This will put him in his mid-eighties. How old is too old for politics?

Do you think we will ever have term limits on senators?
Do you think it would be unethical to pose an age limit on elected officials?

There has to be a point were you can no longer do the job.

Term limits for Congress both senators and congress people...YES. Give it a flippin rest John and give someone else a chance. If the citizens of AZ re-elect him again... they are numb nuts. He is a headless vector when it comes to policy.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:32 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,516,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
John McCain just announced he will run for another term. This will put him in his mid-eighties. How old is too old for politics?

Do you think we will ever have term limits on senators?
Do you think it would be unethical to pose an age limit on elected officials?

There has to be a point were you can no longer do the job.
I've always been in favor of term limits. I'm not in favor of imposing an age limit, that's discrimination. It will be up to Arizona to decide if McCain can do the job or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections