Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What do you think about him? I like what he has to say more than any other conservative that has the potential to run. He's down to earth and straight forward without the need to put on a show. That's a quality that is missing in our conservatives now and it makes me not trust them. I trust Marco Rubio. He has polished up his speaking skills quite a bit, the heart was there the entire time, though.
The good thing about Rubio is, if you don't like what he says at one venue, just go to another audience, he will say the opposite. Quite a versatile guy that Marco. The bad thing for Rubio is, how will he duck his history in the Florida Congress?

Last edited by florida.bob; 04-14-2015 at 04:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:58 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,234 times
Here's my take on him:

No. Lightweight; 8 years’ experience; not ready yet. Very smart but needs more experience. I think he has a slight heart problem. He has excellent timing, uses strategy of timing to the nth degree. Goes in to win, and I don't think he sees "losing" as an option. It’s not about ego; he just doesn’t see it if he doesn’t think it exists.

He’s nervous, will have a rocky love life, but he really pulls on those family strings and his background, and some conservatives just don't inherently trust a child of Cuban immigrants who married a woman from Colombia. He needs to feel he inspires people, and he’ll do charity work with real meaning, not just to say he does it. Religion is a plus, but he’s already been LDS, RC, and now Southern Baptist.

He won't win. Might make a good running mate but I don't think he wants to take second place.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
John Kerry destroyed Rubio recently in front of the joint arms committee. Rubio is all talk, bad talk at that.
Who cares what that traitor and tax cheat John Kerry has to say about anything???

Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Here's my take on him:

No. Lightweight; 8 years’ experience; not ready yet. Very smart but needs more experience. I think he has a slight heart problem. He has excellent timing, uses strategy of timing to the nth degree. Goes in to win, and I don't think he sees "losing" as an option. It’s not about ego; he just doesn’t see it if he doesn’t think it exists.

He’s nervous, will have a rocky love life, but he really pulls on those family strings and his background, and some conservatives just don't inherently trust a child of Cuban immigrants who married a woman from Colombia. He needs to feel he inspires people, and he’ll do charity work with real meaning, not just to say he does it. Religion is a plus, but he’s already been LDS, RC, and now Southern Baptist.

He won't win. Might make a good running mate but I don't think he wants to take second place.

No experience? He served as a City Commissioner for West Miami and was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2000, representing the 111th House district. He was elected Speaker in November 2006.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What do you think about him? I like what he has to say more than any other conservative that has the potential to run. He's down to earth and straight forward without the need to put on a show. That's a quality that is missing in our conservatives now and it makes me not trust them. I trust Marco Rubio. He has polished up his speaking skills quite a bit, the heart was there the entire time, though.
The negatives:

When he first got to the Senate he glommed onto McCain and Graham.

Immigration.

Unless someone can explain to me what a City Commissioner of West Miami does (they don't serve solo), he has no executive experience at all which makes him just another lawyer that are a dime a dozen on Capitol Hill.

His committee/sub-committee experience shows no fiscal-impact experience.

The positives:

He's young, good-looking, Hispanic, has a pleasing personality and has a nice looking family. Easy to like as a person.

He's on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Speaks well.

My take on Rubio is the same take I had on Paul Ryan, go home and run something, then run for President. The White House isn't training camp for executive wanna be's. You can't say it was wrong for Obama and then say it's okay for a Republican. My impression is Rubio would be the face and the Republican Machine would pull the strings. It's the same old thing with these Senators who think they can be President - Big ideas, no clue as to how to implement them or handle crises. Voting isn't in a president's skill set and that's what the guys on Capitol Hill know how to do. The only thing lawyers take to the White House is knowing how to lie and obfuscate.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The negatives:

When he first got to the Senate he glommed onto McCain and Graham.

Immigration.

Unless someone can explain to me what a City Commissioner of West Miami does (they don't serve solo), he has no executive experience at all which makes him just another lawyer that are a dime a dozen on Capitol Hill.

His committee/sub-committee experience shows no fiscal-impact experience.

The positives:

He's young, good-looking, Hispanic, has a pleasing personality and has a nice looking family. Easy to like as a person.

He's on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Speaks well.

My take on Rubio is the same take I had on Paul Ryan, go home and run something, then run for President. The White House isn't training camp for executive wanna be's. You can't say it was wrong for Obama and then say it's okay for a Republican. My impression is Rubio would be the face and the Republican Machine would pull the strings. It's the same old thing with these Senators who think they can be President - Big ideas, no clue as to how to implement them or handle crises. Voting isn't in a president's skill set and that's what the guys on Capitol Hill know how to do. The only thing lawyers take to the White House is knowing how to lie and obfuscate.

How do you know Rubio is not positioning himself for the VP slot? He cannot be on the same ticket as Jeb Bush, but Bush has not wrapped up the nomination yet.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Who cares what that traitor and tax cheat John Kerry has to say about anything???
River boaters must be gettin' restless.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 PM

27 posts, read 18,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A traitorous Senator who sabotaged any Iran nuke deal and weakened the US' hand.
What deal?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Quote:
How do you know Rubio is not positioning himself for the VP slot? He cannot be on the same ticket as Jeb Bush, but Bush has not wrapped up the nomination yet.
Rubio and Bush are both from the same state.
snopes.com: Must the President and Vice-President Be from Different States?
"Article II (as well as the Twelfth Amendment, which modified it) specified that electors must "vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves," a requirement that guaranteed at least half of each state's electoral votes would be cast for candidates from other states.

This requirement is still in effect today, but confusion arises when people misunderstand it to govern the actions of candidates rather than electors. Nothing in the constitution bars presidential and vice-presidential candidates from the same state from running, being elected, or holding office together; it only bars the electors from their home state from voting for both of them.

This restriction was an issue in the 2000 presidential election. Dick Cheney, who grew up in Wyoming and represented that state in Congress from 1979-89, had bought a home and registered to vote in Texas in 1995, and after that date he also held a Texas driver's license, paid Texas taxes, and claimed Texas' homestead tax deduction. When the Republican presidential nominee, Texas governor George W. Bush (obviously a Texas resident himself), selected Cheney as his vice-presidential running mate in 2000, this circumstance raised the issue of whether Texas' electors would be allowed to cast ballots for both candidates. Cheney hastily switched his voter registration and driver's license back to Wyoming, and when three Texas voters filed a lawsuit challenging his claim of non-Texas residency, Governor Bush's legal team successfully argued in federal court that those factors (among others) were sufficient to establish Cheney as a Wyoming resident.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
Quote:
No experience? He served as a City Commissioner for West Miami and was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2000, representing the 111th House district. He was elected Speaker in November 2006.
Those are all minor league positions, if they are in any league at all. He's got very little national experience. He has no executive experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections