Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
At this point, as long as they are officially declared, they should be allowed in. There are really no "fringe" candidates in the GOP, at least not at this very moment. While I think Santorum, for example, doesnt have a chance in hell of winning, he should be allowed in the debate.
The inlcusion of Santorum would show me a lack of serious intent. As a result I would not watch that debate.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
The inlcusion of Santorum would show me a lack of serious intent. As a result I would not watch that debate.
He's not my favorite candidate either but Rick Santorum did win 11 states in the Republican primaries in 2012.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
The problem in Republican debates is that the questions are mostly ones that interest Democrat voters. I don't see Democrats being asked questions that interest Republican voters. In fact, the best "moderator," the one who asks questions Republican voters have an interest in, is unfortunately (for us) going to be on the stage and that is Mike Huckabee. Although he did not moderate a formal Fox News debate he asked the best questions of Republican candidates on his TV show.

The debates are party debates. You want to be an Independent, fine. I think we all should be Independent because I'm sick of Republican and Democrat candidates pandering to Independents because they are so certain their own party members will not cross over when voting. They take us for granted. But the purpose of primaries is to pick the party candidate so no, Independents shouldn't have a say-so in the debates that help pick the party candidates. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Last edited by LauraC; 04-22-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem in Republican debates is that the questions are mostly ones that interest Democrat voters. I don't see Democrats being asked questions that interest Republican voters. In fact, the best "moderator," the one who asks questions Republican voters have an interest in, is unfortunately (for us) going to be on the stage and that is Mike Huckabee. Although he did not moderate a formal Fox News debate he asked the best questions of Republican candidates on his TV show.

The debates are party debates. You want to be an Independent, fine. I think we all should be Independent because I'm sick of Republican and Democrat candidates pandering to Independents because they are so certain their own party members will not cross over when voting. They take us for granted. But the purpose of primaries is to pick the party candidate so no, Independents shouldn't have a say-so in the debates that help pick the party candidates. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
Just FYI, for the first time ever, the Republican party has taken control of their debates. This time around, MSNBC will not get to host a Republican debate, and the networks that do will have the moderators tightly controlled. For example, the second Republican debate will be hosted by CNN, but it will be moderated by Hugh Hewitt and Jake Tapper, neither of who are Candy Crowley leftists.

Here is a link to the Republican debate schedule:

2016 Republican Primary Debate Schedule | 2016 Election Central

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
The best and most obvious solution to this is for Fox to schedule more debates. This could limit the number of candidates per single debate, but would allow them all sufficient face time. Severaldebates would probably be more of a ratings booster than only one was well.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The best and most obvious solution to this is for Fox to schedule more debates. This could limit the number of candidates per single debate, but would allow them all sufficient face time. Severaldebates would probably be more of a ratings booster than only one was well.
The number of debates is now tightly controlled by the Republican party. Any Republican candidate participating in a debate not endorsed by the RNC will be banned from participating in any further RNC sanctioned debates.

Here is the schedule of RNC sanctioned debates:

2016 Republican Primary Debate Schedule | 2016 Election Central

That is all there is and there will not be any more, unless the RNC declares otherwise.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
a debate with more than 6 candidates accomplishes nothing

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
A good moderator should make the candidates focus on only two things........

#1 .....what exactly would they do if president
#2......what differentiates them from the other candidates on stage

Having 6 guys blasting Obama or Hillary is simply preaching to the choir.

The other Republican candidates are your opponents now.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
That's smart. Less room for embrassment like last time

Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
a debate with more than 6 candidates accomplishes nothing
What? You seem to miss the real reason to have the whole group on the "debate" stage. To up the amusement factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections