Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,046,219 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on him?

Uncle Tom?
Lucky?
A pawn of the white establishment?
Does his color matter or only his policies?
Is he out of touch with the black community?
Would you vote for him as POTUS or VP?
If he were the Repub candidate or VP candidate, how much of the black vote would he get compared to Hilary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,134,272 times
This will be an interesting thread. Besides the answers, I was always curious if there is a sizable population of African-American posters here. I have seen several.

Mick

Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

Uncle Tom?
Lucky?
If he were the Repub candidate or VP candidate, how much of the black vote would he get compared to Hilary?
Uncle Tom?

What century/time era do you live in?

That term is incredibly offensive and inappropriate, and in and of itself is racist.

It always baffle why candidates/politicians of color get race labeled and others do not...Example being when Obama was labeled the "food stamp president."

I won't get into all of the nuances of his political views, but Ben Carson is a candidate, and an educated and very intelligent man. Regardless of what I think of him, I won't disrespect him with race bating terms.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:35 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,562,269 times
That's just wrong and part of the PC problem in this country.

Urban Dictionary: Uncle Tom

Directly from the above link:

1) A black man who will do anything to stay in good standing with "the white man" including betray his own people

2) Uncle Tom is a term used by black people to try to convince other black people that working, education, living well, and setting a good example for their children is selling out.

3) Theatrical productions of Uncle Tom's Cabin played throughout the nadir (post Civil War and Reconstruction); but since the novel's indictment of slavery was no longer congenial to an increasingly white society, rewrites changed Uncle Tom from a martyr who gave his life to protect the people into a sentimental dope who was loyal to kindly masters. In the black community, Uncle Tom eventually came to mean an African American who sells out his people's interests and still does today. In my opinion the phrase "uncle tom" should not be used today by black people because it degrades the status of a man who wasn't in fact a sell out but a hero who's name should be used with reverence not disgrace.

The large majority of the people who actually use the term are blacks.
Calling it "racist in and of itself" is silly.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:52 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,046,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Uncle Tom?

What century/time era do you live in?

That term is incredibly offensive and inappropriate, and in and of itself is racist.

It always baffle why candidates/politicians of color get race labeled and others do not...Example being when Obama was labeled the "food stamp president."

I won't get into all of the nuances of his political views, but Ben Carson is a candidate, and an educated and very intelligent man. Regardless of what I think of him, I won't disrespect him with race bating terms.
I hear that phrase used often enough that I thought it was still viable for the conversation. In fact, I believe (someone check me on this) Rev Al and Jesses Jackson have used it. I've also heard leaders of the NAACP use it during interviews.

I actually didn't know it was offensive, other than to the person it's directed towards.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,538,057 times
Do black people regard Ben Carson as a "Cornball brother"?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
I hear that phrase used often enough that I thought it was still viable for the conversation. In fact, I believe (someone check me on this) Rev Al and Jesses Jackson have used it. I've also heard leaders of the NAACP use it during interviews.
This U.S. Congressman also uses it:

Rep. Bennie Thompson defends calling Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom" - CBS News

Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,142,372 times
Quote:

Uncle Tom?
Lucky?
As a black man my view is that Ben Carson is a smart man that had excellent achievements throughout is medical career, but he has very bad political views.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
As a black man my view is that Ben Carson is a smart man that had excellent achievements throughout is medical career, but he has very bad political views.
Bad for whom? And why?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,142,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
That's just wrong and part of the PC problem in this country.

Urban Dictionary: Uncle Tom

Directly from the above link:

1) A black man who will do anything to stay in good standing with "the white man" including betray his own people

2) Uncle Tom is a term used by black people to try to convince other black people that working, education, living well, and setting a good example for their children is selling out.

3) Theatrical productions of Uncle Tom's Cabin played throughout the nadir (post Civil War and Reconstruction); but since the novel's indictment of slavery was no longer congenial to an increasingly white society, rewrites changed Uncle Tom from a martyr who gave his life to protect the people into a sentimental dope who was loyal to kindly masters. In the black community, Uncle Tom eventually came to mean an African American who sells out his people's interests and still does today. In my opinion the phrase "uncle tom" should not be used today by black people because it degrades the status of a man who wasn't in fact a sell out but a hero who's name should be used with reverence not disgrace.

The large majority of the people who actually use the term are blacks.
Calling it "racist in and of itself" is silly.
The bolded and underlined part is a flat out lie! This is an opinion that is perpetuated by white supremacists and believed by useful idiots. This definition was added by a random user named "Pud". The Urban dictionary is like a wiki so I wouldn't take it as gospel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections