Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times

Advertisements

Isnt this wonderful? Mr. Trump has first hand personal understanding of the conflict between those who came here legally and the impact on their lives that illegal immigration causes.

Its good to know that MR. Trump has an even better understanding of the issue!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Seacove, are you even aware of the problem of open borders and illegal immigration in this country? We are being invaded by the world, and some of the invaders are very dangerous people.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
That's not completely self-serving? Not to mention hypocritical?

Mick

Self-serving? What's wrong with that? Whose interests should the government look for first: that of the citizens and national interest and what this country NEEDS at any given time in terms of immigration .... or what's good for the poor of other countries?

Hypocritical? Not in the least. Need for immigration changes. Again: How do you propose, in the 21st century welfare state, to support the same kind of immigration that was necessary and/or accepted in 1915?

Back when there was no universal education, no social welfare net, no foodstamps, section 8. Kids don't work in factories. It's not acceptable for families to live 5-6 to a two room tenement.

Our laws should change and adapt with the times of the people living under them. This country owes nothing to anybody who is not a citizen or a legal immigrant. We do not have a cosmic duty to bring in the world's poor. We cannot have a progressive social agenda AND be the world's safety valve to dump its poor and desperate. Something has to give.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I wonder if Seacove ever got out of the third grade?
I have more education than Scott Walker and then some.

I made a casual point of how recent Trump's family is to this country, not unlike Cruz, Rubio, etc. I have no dog in the immigration fight, my family has been in this country hundreds of years. There was a time when it was very easy to immigrate to this country, you just showed up.

The rhetoric Trump uses, calling Mexicans rapists, etc. in broad strokes appeals to a certain crowd and clearly that crowd. Apparently one can't make a mild observation because the level of hate has been revved to a hundred now.

I wondered if this level of anger had any precedent and it does.

"The influx of newcomers resulted in anti-immigrant sentiment among certain factions of America’s native-born, predominantly Anglo-Saxon Protestant population. The new arrivals were often seen as unwanted competition for jobs, while many Catholics–especially the Irish–experienced discrimination for their religious beliefs. In the 1850s, the anti-immigrant, anti-Catholic American Party (also called the Know-Nothings) tried to severely curb immigration..."

U.S. Immigration Before 1965 - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Seacove, are you even aware of the problem of open borders and illegal immigration in this country? We are being invaded by the world, and some of the invaders are very dangerous people.
And some are just gardeners or pick crops. With all due respect, some Americans can be dangerous too. I just think the level of anger is a bit much.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Hmmm, when did Trump's family sneak across the Border?
I'll bet they even stole SS #'s from hard working Americans but..........

.......they worked the jobs that no American would do, no, not one or so I've heard.
LOL!!!

Some people! SMH

Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Full Retard.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:19 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep. But considering how recent Trump's family is, where do you draw the line? Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, where do you draw the line? And while the GOP is saying these poor people need to go home and find jobs there, so should Trump's mother and her family.

The line is easy: legal or illegal.

Doesn't matter. Trump is still dirty in my book. He'd never get my vote.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
+1 But even Native Americans immigrated here from Siberia.

Democrats do NOT want an honest discussion of immigration.

Many do not want an honest discussion on much of anything really.

Illegal immigration is dangerous. We need to secure the borders.
"You are descended from immigrants and are therefore a hypocrite"

The entitlement programs are out of control and need to be overhauled.
"You hate poor people and would rather see them die of starvation than help them."

If you engage in an activity which is likely to produce a new life; that new life shouldn't be the one who is punished for it, especially when the penalty assigned to him/her is death.
"You are against women's rights"

The ACA has NOT reduced the number of the uninsured and has led to an increase in my cost, which is the opposite of what was told to "we the people".
"You hate poor people and would rather see them die because they can't go to the doctor"

Black on black violence should be the first and primary focus of BLM.
"You are racist and are guilty of white privilege"

Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Many do not want an honest discussion on much of anything really.

Illegal immigration is dangerous. We need to secure the borders.
"You are descended from immigrants and are therefore a hypocrite"

The entitlement programs are out of control and need to be overhauled.
"You hate poor people and would rather see them die of starvation than help them."

If you engage in an activity which is likely to produce a new life; that new life shouldn't be the one who is punished for it, especially when the penalty assigned to him/her is death.
"You are against women's rights"

The ACA has NOT reduced the number of the uninsured and has led to an increase in my cost, which is the opposite of what was told to "we the people".
"You hate poor people and would rather see them die because they can't go to the doctor"

Black on black violence should be the first and primary focus of BLM.
"You are racist and are guilty of white privilege"
"We need adhere to the constitution!"

"We need to change the constitution so those born here are not automatic citizens!"

Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
If their 'illegals' then they would be included. All of our ancestors were immigrants and came through the ports legally having to jump threw hoops to stay. I guess many of you were never taught about port of entry and never heard of Ellis Island. Learn something new by finding out the meaning of legally and illegally. Should clear some things up for you and then youll get it. This is an example of whats wrong in this country. Ignorance and not letting facts get in the way.
I always find this "all of our ancestors came legally" argument interesting.
There was a time when thousands of people poured off of ships on a daily basis. They didn't all come through Ellis Island and they weren't all documented.
Many paid for passage just like people pay "coyotes" today and they disappeared into the tenements and ethnic ghettos just like is done now.

This ideal of 100% lawful immigration never existed in this or any other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections