Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Jeb seems pretty positive....
Nah, Jeb has just gotten more energy lately. Must be hitting the Redbull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Well, Trump promises to make everything wonderful for everyone crept those pesky Mexican but he loves them and they love him.
But he still stresses how bad things are: he wants to make it ok again, that isn't a very positive message in my way of thinking. I wan't the guy/gal who says "we are a great country" not we can be one if you do as I say.

To me, Rubio is the only one with a true positive attitude. He is the closest thing to Reagan we will see for a long time. He is proud of our country: knows how great is, even though there is room for a lot of improvement. Kasich is that way somewhat.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:39 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Only Trump because he is addressing the issues that have thrown our society down (1) shipping out jobs overseas (2) illegal immigration. Those are the biggest thorns in our side and have been for several years.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I thought Kasich may be good at first - until I started reading and saw that Ohio in 2012 had the 4h highest state debt - that balanced budget means nothing to me now.

State debt - Ballotpedia
That is so true. The state budget line is deception at its finest. Walker pulled the same thing by saying he balanced the budget. In truth, the WI budget was "balanced" by borrowing huge.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Only Trump because he is addressing the issues that have thrown our society down (1) shipping out jobs overseas (2) illegal immigration. Those are the biggest thorns in our side and have been for several years.
and how many illegals do you think he has hired? Ok, maybe not directly and I realize he doesn't have total control over all his businesses, but I think to prove he means what he says, it is time he make sure, not one person on one project with his name attached to it is an illegal.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Kasich seems to project a "we are OK, just need to get back on the path where we strayed a bit" attitude. I guess that is positive for a Republican this year. Trump is the most negative - nothing is right, we are being led by idiots etc. etc. That message is resonating more than the positive for now at least.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:57 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how many illegals do you think he has hired? Ok, maybe not directly and I realize he doesn't have total control over all his businesses, but I think to prove he means what he says, it is time he make sure, not one person on one project with his name attached to it is an illegal.
Once we start enforcing our immigration laws, that should take care of itself unless he is able to get a handle on it. Lots of contracts use illegal labor and many of those have stolen the identity of citizens. E-verify? Push for it and shut them down. That's the best first step.

Frankly, did the others have a message. Most want amnesty or something else they call it but it still amounts to that. Some thought that if they did a great job as governor that we would think that would directly transfer over if they were elected POTUS. While I support some of the religious statements made, our government separates church and state so I find it hard to support the person for POTUS when they are doing that and find wearing your religion on your sleeve just not being part of politics.

Also, Trump for bringing back jobs. When I was in high school, there was a tax on incoming goods to bring them in line with our US produced products so that we had jobs here. That works.

Also, being a veteran, although we don't use the HealthCare, we get the newsletters and know what a mess that is. Our elected officials have been poking sticks at the VA Admin for some time and just can't get anything really done. I am sure everyone has seen the stories in the news.

Also, mental health. We had a discussion going in the "Great Debate" section here at C-D weighing in on whether the homeless/mentally ill should be offered (I'm guessing to begin with having a choice) an "opportunity" to be euthanized and the discussion grew to include many other classifications of people that others find "in the way". This cannot be done. We have dumped these people in the streets and many cannot take care of themselves and do not get the treatment and medications that they need. Funding is continually being cut.

Trump is in touch with the problems and these are outside the realm of his normal business activities so he is listening to and hearing from the people. Acknowledging the problems is the first step in finding a solution.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Trump can't compete as a businessman with other businesses if they hire illegals and pay them low wages while he hires American citizens and pays them high wages.

He also can't compete as a businessman with other businesses if they buy politicians to grant them favors and he doesn't.

But I guess this point is too subtle for most people.

So look at it this way:

Trump is the only person running for president from either party who is saying that we should build a wall, end birth citizenship, and deport each and every illegal alien, only letting "the good ones" back in.

He is also the only person running for president from either party who is not accepting large donations from special interests.

The only reason to "make the perfect the enemy of the good" is if you're a liberal Democrat or a leftist trying to influence who Republican voters pick as their nominee.

(We sure have a lot of those here. )

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who, of the Republican presidential candidates, has a positive message and what is that message?
One first has to define what "positive" means before question can be answered.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
None of the above. They all have the same tired messages that were proclaimed in the losing 2008 and 2012 races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections