Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,624,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Because one can, doesn't mean one should. It's a question of morals or in Trumps case, a lack of morals.
Only a sleazeball, as Trump is, would try and steal someones property in order to build a parking lot. Again eminent domain is not for taking private property in order to give it to another for private property.

On another sleaze note. Google search Crony Capitalism and Clown Trumps picture comes up.

The guy is proud of the fact that he was one. H tells us about it all the time. He participated in it, owns it - influence peddling - but hey, the laws allowed it, right?

Now he's going to do what in the best interest of the American people?

Doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,393,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh, I see, so as long as no one is left destitute it's perfectly okay for the government to seize people's personal property? And no, we don't advocate or approve of the government forcing people off their property to make way for developers. But it seems Donald Trump's supporters do.
I can think of “soft” versions of eminent domain that I suppose you have no problem with. It’s called Section 8 and a myriad of other rent vouchers. Entire neighborhoods are reduced to slums because of this sort of eminent domain. What is the difference? Both kick residents out against their will. The difference is you approve of it.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:26 PM

22,597 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I can think of “soft” versions of eminent domain that I suppose you have no problem with. It’s called Section 8 and a myriad of of other rent vouchers. Entire neighborhoods are reduced to slums because of this sort of eminent domain. What is the difference? Both kick residents out against their will. The difference is you approve of it.
^

Of course they approve of it and expect them to come into this thread and tell you that's different

In some jurisdictions, landlords are forced to accept Section 8 vouchers whether they like it or not. These very same jurisdictions are the ones who make no effort to screen Section 8 people, rather anyone who qualifies based on income alone gets a voucher. Never mind that they may be a family of criminals, the landlord is forced to accept them as tenants. And, yes, things like this end up destroying neighborhoods and forcing law-abiding people out of the area.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:45 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How is it a "deflection"? You seem very concerned about eminent domain. If you are as concerned about it as your posts make it seem, then why haven't you spoken out about it on a local level, at least? And why haven't you taken the time to organize others who agree with you on this issue?
Again
This isn't about me. It's about big government Trump trying to steal someones property. Keep deflecting.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:32 PM

782 posts, read 1,091,779 times
Eminent Domain as a political issue? You're kidding, right?

I've only read through the 1st page of posts. Then got impatient. TOTALLY surprised no one mention the phrase; "For The Common Good' on the 1st page of posts.

It's been in place for many decades, and it's a good thing. Land taken, owner well paid - used for 'The Common Good'. I'll repeat - For The Common Good.

How do you think the great highway system was built?

My apologies if "Common Good" was previously mentioned in this long thread. My internet connection is slow today.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Eminent Domain as a political issue? You're kidding, right?

I've only read through the 1st page of posts. Then got impatient. TOTALLY surprised no one mention the phrase; "For The Common Good' on the 1st page of posts.

It's been in place for many decades, and it's a good thing. Land taken, owner well paid - used for 'The Common Good'. I'll repeat - For The Common Good.

How do you think the great highway system was built?

My apologies if "Common Good" was previously mentioned in this long thread. My internet connection is slow today.
But it's not supposed to be used to take it from one private owner to give to another private owner. That's what Trump was trying to do.

Public use is different.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 PM

22,597 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Again
This isn't about me. It's about big government Trump trying to steal someones property. Keep deflecting.
It is about you when you keep bringing it up. Also, it is about you since it troubles you so much. No one is "deflecting". If something bothers you about how our country is governed, then get involved! Is that so hard to imagine? Plus you act like Trump is the only ever to have used eminent domain. Newsflash---for better or for worse, it has gone on for a very long time. It won't change unless people like who are very troubled by it make an effort to speak up. Got it?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM

782 posts, read 1,091,779 times
Quote:
But it's not supposed to be used to take it from one private owner to give to another private owner. That's what Trump was trying to do.

Public use is different.
What Trump said was; "Good for jobs, roads, public good." That's exactly what he said in an interview regarding the issue. I agree with him.

Reminds me of what the character Spock says; "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,393,913 times
Quote:
Again
Skipping right over #52, I see. Makes you a little uncomfortable I suppose. I understand. Those who wrote the book on Big Government should not be throwing stones. You got too much baggage.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,120,271 times
I don't agree with him on everything. I don't think that I've ever met anyone that I agreed with 100%, even my wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections