Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times

Advertisements

Cruz would be the first foreign born President - McCain has an out because Panama was a US dependency and his dad was on military assignment. Cruz's parents applied and moved to Canada and had permanent residency status there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,981,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Donald did not start this inquiry, the washington post did.
All Trump stated was, the air needs to be clear., and he suggested cruz get some sort of court judgement so that if he becomes the nominee, the dems would be out of luck for filing a suit against cruz.
Don't try and read things into it that are not there.

Bob.
Please. Not even Trumpets believe that nonsense. Clown Trump fwas very clear when he said he is bringing this up now because Cruz poll numbers are higher.

Trumpf is trying to scare the ignorant voters with this nonsense. Cruz is never gonna get no judgment, just like John McCaine never did. John McCaine made it all the way to Election Day.

Democrats and moderate republicans don't waste their time with this birther nonsense. That's a conservative trick.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:18 PM

26,579 posts, read 14,472,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The law says that anyone born to U.S. citizen parents (his mother is a U.S. citizen) is a "natural born citizen."
there is no law that states this.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-17-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 01-16-2016, 02:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
It is written into the constitution, but never clearly defined.
Eventually the scotus is going to have to address this, as to what was, and is meant by the term natural born.
My belief, and I am pretty sure it was the belief of the founding fathers is, born on united states soil, regardless of parent's citizenship.

Correct me if I'M wrong,but naturalized citizen is in direct conflict with the term natural born, and when choosing a president, I would think natural born would, and should be the deciding factor over naturalized.

Bob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Logic would say that a child born to a parent that was a citizen at the time of their birth would naturally be a citizen - as in a natural born citizen. My oldest child was born in a Korean hospital - not on a base - he is an American citizen and we went through no special process to prove it. Surely you are not claiming that the children of military members born off base while their parent was serving overseas as the government dictated are all ineligible to be president - in other words they are considered a lesser citizen than the child of a mass murderer who was born on US soil or the child of two illegal immigrants that managed to conveniently have the baby in a US hospital. Boy, talk about a kick in the teeth. Most countries accept the children born to their citizens temporarily in other countries as natural born citizens.
Oldhag nailed it IMHO. Tho I DO have a problem giving ANY US born kid birthright unless at least 1 parent's IS already a US citizen.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
... and his dad was on military assignment.
currently there is no distinction between military and civilian when it comes to US citizenship ( nor is there consideration for being born on a military base ).

Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,335,867 times
Quote:
I heard something yesterday about a lawyer in Texas filing a suit to determine his eligibility to be president.
Bob.
Doubtful, this Texas lawyer won't have standing to bring the suit.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Your case is not the same as Ted Cruz's but is similar to John McCain's.
McCain; I agree with you 100 percent since like Ringo1, his parents were in Panama on official US business. Tho ANOTHER dude running for POTUS back in 1968 may've had a BIG problem especially IF he won the Repub nomination since George Romney was born IN Mexico to 2 US citizen parents living there as aliens; not sure if they were there legally or illegally.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Logic would say that a child born to a parent that was a citizen at the time of their birth would naturally be a citizen - as in a natural born citizen....
Logic, as in conventional wisdom, doesn't necessarily coincide with the law.

The above comment does imply that I agree or disagree with your argument, I'm just saying.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Oh, how I am going to enjoy watching this.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
What data do you have available to support that belief?
here you go:

Prior to May 24, 1934, U.S. citizen mothers were not permitted to transmit U.S. citizenship to their children born abroad. The Act of May 24, 1934 (the "1934 Statute") gave U.S. citizen mothers equality of status regarding their ability to transmit U.S. citizenship. However the provision was not applied retroactively.

U.S. CITIZENSHIP ACQUIRED BY BIRTH ABROAD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections