Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,481,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
And yet George Romney did indeed run for president and all legal challenges against him doing so failed.
"all legal challenges"? There were no birther legal challenges against George Romney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,438,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g gotta take it to the SCOTUS to finally put a nail in the coffin of this stupidity -- but you better believe that's never going to stop birthers and their stupidity. They will [B
never[/b] give up. They're a lot like the flat earth society in that regard.
Thats true.I don't care if the Supreme Court rules unanimously that Ted Cruz is qualified, the screaming on here won't even slow down.If Cruz gets elected we'll have 4-8 more years of endless birther nonsense.They will just say the Supreme Court is wrong.They're still cryng about Obama and hes almost ready to start packing to move out of the White House.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,881,823 times
Bright line rule to preclude controversy of doubted credibility:

“The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives, or natural-born citizens, are those born in the country, of parents who are citizens."

Vattel’s Influence on the term Natural Born Citizen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emer_de_Vattel

Is there a shortage of qualified people to be president of the United States?

Obama doesn't seem American to me; he seems, beyond American.

He seems to think that we can all get past America.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM

752 posts, read 567,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
"And yet George Romney did indeed run for president and all legal challenges against him doing so failed. [...] The fact that George Romney's natural born citizenship held up in the courts should have put all lesser cases to bed for good."
Would you mind citing the case(s) in question? Because I see nothing to indicate the issue was ever adjudicated. And given the duration of George's candidacy (he dropped out in late-February, 1968), I see no reason to assume it would've been. That said, I wasn't debating the constitutionality of a G. Romney presidency, just giving my personal take on his fitness for office.

Quote:
"If a man can be born in a foreign land where his family are hiding out from legal prosecution by the United States Federal Government and still be affirmed as a natural-born citizen, then why all the fuss about Ted, Barack, McCain, Mitt or anyone else? If George can cross the bar, so can all the others."
The "controversy" is almost entirely political, methinks. But there are some legal scholars (probably a minority) who contend that the issue is neither simple nor settled: https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...GoK/story.html

Quote:
"PS: We seem to be entering an era where military service isn't all that important for a candidate for POTUS. No president since Bush Sr. has actually served. I would greatly prefer it if any president were a bonafide veteran and maybe even a war hero. We're not getting those options much these days."
Military service is valuable experience, but I would concur that it's far from the only/most-important qualification.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,823,190 times
I have the feeling that Trump (and others) will successfully plant the label Canadian on Cruz and in spite of his best efforts the label will stick.

Cruz can (and likely will) come up with all kinds of arguments (some legal, others twistingly weird). But the simple response 'You were born in Canada' says it all for most people who really don't want to hear some long winded barely understandable discussion on the various categories of citizenship.

Cruz is a Canadian, born there. See? Simple. Direct, to the point. Thats whats going to sell.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I have the feeling that Trump (and others) will successfully plant the label Canadian on Cruz and in spite of his best efforts the label will stick.

Cruz can (and likely will) come up with all kinds of arguments (some legal, others twistingly weird). But the simple response 'You were born in Canada' says it all for most people who really don't want to hear some long winded barely understandable discussion on the various categories of citizenship.

Cruz is a Canadian, born there. See? Simple. Direct, to the point. Thats whats going to sell.
That's about right. Do you really want a foreign born president? It has NEVER happened before so there must be something to it. Presidency aside, how did a Canadian citizen server as US Senator?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 PM

26,579 posts, read 14,474,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
.... how did a Canadian citizen server as US Senator?
nothing in the requirements for senator prohibits it:

be a US citizen for at least nine years when elected to the Senate.

be at least 30 years of age.

be a resident of the state that the Senator represents.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,695,498 times
Hear's Teds problem. When I heard he forgot the Goldman Sacks loan I believed him. Then when I heard he also didn't file the Citi bank loan I remembered a story I heard when 9-11 happened. A woman and her young daughter watched the first plane fly into the first tower. When the second tower was struck the young girl said "Mommy, They're doing it on purpose". Cruz didn't file on purpose and he was caught not only lying but the only reason why he didn't file was to keep the Tea Party in the dark. He's a liar and a traitor.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Hear's Teds problem. When I heard he forgot the Goldman Sacks loan I believed him. Then when I heard he also didn't file the Citi bank loan I remembered a story I heard when 9-11 happened. A woman and her young daughter watched the first plane fly into the first tower. When the second tower was struck the young girl said "Mommy, They're doing it on purpose". Cruz didn't file on purpose and he was caught not only lying but the only reason why he didn't file was to keep the Tea Party in the dark. He's a liar and a traitor.
As I have said, his natural born citizen or not is really the least of his problems. The scrutiny will continue to tighten and I don't think his record will hold up. Old flip-flop Ted.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, going back to Cruz and thinking about the other posts, if Canada would have had a mandatory military requirement for males, he would have been bound to return to Canada to serve, right? And, isn't that where dual citizenship could get sticky. Yes, Cruz did drop his Canadian citizenship when it started being questioned but this still points to an issue of having the dual-citizenship and the tie to another country.
I don't know about Canadian military conscription. In the United States, non-citizens can be drafted into the U.S. military forces.

As for Canada enforcing a draft notice on Ted Cruz while he was living in the United States, the U.S. would have to extradite him to Canada. Cruz, being a United States citizen at birth (per federal law) might be able to block that extradition attempt by renouncing his Canadian citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections