Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,652,727 times

Advertisements

Bush and Rubio speak fluent Spanish, and though I strongly believe English should remain the "official" language of the United States, it can't help but broaden their appeal to both Democrats who don't like Sanders or Clinton and Republican Latinos.

I just watched two videos of both of them being interviewed in Spanish, and their demeanor didn't change; they were both equally comfortable. Cruz has said he can't speak Spanish well enough to try, so that's just two bilinguals in the entire field. I think it's progressive and beneficial.

History seems to support this favorably: Thomas Jefferson spoke Latin, French, and Italian; FDR spoke German and French; and Martin van Buren spoke Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzeyDXCHFN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHy-GbXNrPM

We are a very young country relatively speaking, and there's certainly no question that we're a nation of immigrants -- the more we learn, the better, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 AM

63,054 posts, read 29,249,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Bush and Rubio speak fluent Spanish, and though I strongly believe English should remain the "official" language of the United States, it can't help but broaden their appeal to both Democrats who don't like Sanders or Clinton and Republican Latinos.

I just watched two videos of both of them being interviewed in Spanish, and their demeanor didn't change; they were both equally comfortable. Cruz has said he can't speak Spanish well enough to try, so that's just two bilinguals in the entire field. I think it's progressive and beneficial.

History seems to support this favorably: Thomas Jefferson spoke Latin, French, and Italian; FDR spoke German and French; and Martin van Buren spoke Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzeyDXCHFN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHy-GbXNrPM

We are a very young country relatively speaking, and there's certainly no question that we're a nation of immigrants -- the more we learn, the better, eh?

If one has to know English to become a naturalized citizen and only citizens can vote why would there be a need to campaign in another language and why just Spanish? We have many citizens here who speak another language other than Spanish. Asian-Americans come to mind.

We are not a nation of immigrants any more. We are a nation of Americans. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population and it has been that way for decades now.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:46 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,652,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If one has to know English to become a naturalized citizen and only citizens can vote why would there be a need to campaign in another language and why just Spanish? We have many citizens here who speak another language other than Spanish. Asian-Americans come to mind.

We are not a nation of immigrants any more. We are a nation of Americans. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population and it has been that way for decades now.

I thank you for correcting me in that we are now a nation of Americans, and I agree. But everyone here has ancestors who (recently, relatively speaking) were immigrants, save Native Americans.

I'm not talking about campaigning in Spanish; I don't support that at all. And I don't care that the language they speak is Spanish, in particular. It's a matter of education -- I see it as an advantage simply due to the more one knows, the better.

Language is a skill. That's just one of the reasons I wished Jon Huntsman had run -- though not fluent in Chinese, he was ambassador, and it's an extra skill that could help a president more fully comprehend and appreciate a different culture and language so that the path to assimilation in America can be smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPb-5AZuzXo

Like many in New Hampshire today, I'm an undecided voter.
Quote:
More than four in ten GOP voters in the Granite State haven’t made up their minds, according to the poll.
5 Things to Watch at Tonight

Many Americans are sorely and sadly lacking in basic English skills, much less a second language. From my standpoint, speaking well and knowing another language is a great advantage. It's our bridge to communication.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 PM

63,054 posts, read 29,249,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I thank you for correcting me in that we are now a nation of Americans, and I agree. But everyone here has ancestors who (recently, relatively speaking) were immigrants, save Native Americans.

I'm not talking about campaigning in Spanish; I don't support that at all. And I don't care that the language they speak is Spanish, in particular. It's a matter of education -- I see it as an advantage simply due to the more one knows, the better.

Language is a skill. That's just one of the reasons I wished Jon Huntsman had run -- though not fluent in Chinese, he was ambassador, and it's an extra skill that could help a president more fully comprehend and appreciate a different culture and language so that the path to assimilation in America can be smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPb-5AZuzXo

Like many in New Hampshire today, I'm an undecided voter.

5 Things to Watch at Tonight

Many Americans are sorely and sadly lacking in basic English skills, much less a second language. From my standpoint, speaking well and knowing another language is a great advantage. It's our bridge to communication.

I disagree. There is very little advantage to knowing foreign languages in this country. Immigrants should be learning English not the other way around. Pandering to them in their native languages just takes assimilation longer if at all. English is also the global business language.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
I think the way we do it now is good enough, every American in the public school system must take a foreign language just like every other country in the world does. It wouldn't hurt increasing the number of years a student should be learning. Every European country does this with English, and none of those countries' languages are disappearing. People who think otherwise are dabbling in paranoia and conspiracy theories, and they are mostly a dying breed from a bygone era, or self-haters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections