Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,277,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'm a senior citizen and voted for Republican presidents since I first was able to vote ...so yes, I did vote for Nixon. But in my old age, I've moved more and more to the left and actually did for the first time, vote for a Democrat, Obama, in 2008.

Tonight as I sit watching Bernie and Hillary debate, I'm proud to say I now consider myself a Democrat. Even though they may disagree and got testy at each other towards the end, the debate was so much more substantive and civil than watching the Republicans yell and shout and call each other names. Yes, good entertainment but much of what the Republicans rant about most of the time on the debate stage has no real substance or detail. Trump especially is good at generalizing what he wants to do, that does lure people in, but has no real explanation on how he proposes to get it done and doesn't seem to have the capacity to explain how to do it.

I just don't think that Trump has the intellectual oratory to really take on either Bernie or Hillary. Since it looks more and more that Trump will be the Republican nominee, I think he'll look pretty "lightweight" to put it in his terms, when debating either of Bernie or Hillary.

Gee, I guess I'm a ******* now? ...I'll put my flame suit as I know I'll get shot down by Trump supporters and others who support the Republican party candidates. I don't miss being a Republican as family values and less government are not principles that the party appears to uphold any longer.
Yes--their debates have been very civil and have actually been debates. I'm sure it helps that there are only two people, not six jockeying for position. The audience doesn't boo or scream much either. It's actually interesting to listen to them explain their policies in detail. The GOP debates seem a little more like gladiators in Rome throwing Christians to the lions. I think that is why some think they are boring. Policy usually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Hillary Clinton can be very rude and nasty.
It was a debate with no name calling or personal attacks. I saw no rudeness tonight or in any of the Democratic debates.

Although I like both candidates, it is very obvious to me Hillary is the one who has a plan and will get things done, although the Republicans in Congress are such obstructionists. Bernie keeps repeating the same lines over and over. We already know he doesn't like Wall Street and wants to tax millionaires and billionaires, but how many times can he say this over and over without giving us specific, meaningful ideas? Tonight Hillary said "the numbers don't add up" and gave specific details to which he could not respond.

What's sad is that people don't like her, call her names, but she has never been convicted or indicted on anything. I honestly think it's gender bias, even if people can't clearly see it. She's been a very strong, outspoken woman for over 40 years and that seems to offend a lot of people.

In any case, I will support the candidate who wins the nomination.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,770 times
Quote:
I'm a senior citizen and voted for Republican presidents since I first was able to vote ...so yes, I did vote for Nixon. But in my old age, I've moved more and more to the left and actually did for the first time, vote for a Democrat, Obama, in 2008.
Same on the first part, but heck, I am a fiscal conservative, not a social conservative. Sander's thinking would be disastrous for me.

I thought it was a good debate and better than the Republicans. My issues are none of the Republicans running, their main issues do not matter to me. The Republicans have little about them I care for. A Democrat usually brings in more Republicans in the House and Senate, which is fine with me.

One issue I agree with Sanders on is ending the war in drugs, it is fruitless and a big waste! I also support death with dignity for older persons who are not going to recover their health, like the Switzerland system.

Hillary does not bother me; the economy did well under Bill Clinton, not so bad with Obama either. As well the president does not effect the economy as much as most think. The biggest waste is the war, which only benefits those with big oil interests. Well, there is the dollar issue too, but that is another story.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Quote:

Tonight as I sit watching Bernie and Hillary debate, I'm proud to say I now consider myself a Democrat. Even though they may disagree and got testy at each other towards the end, the debate was so much more substantive and civil than watching the Republicans yell and shout and call each other names. Yes, good entertainment but much of what the Republicans rant about most of the time on the debate stage has no real substance or detail. Trump especially is good at generalizing what he wants to do, that does lure people in, but has no real explanation on how he proposes to get it done and doesn't seem to have the capacity to explain how to do it.

I just don't think that Trump has the intellectual oratory to really take on either Bernie or Hillary. Since it looks more and more that Trump will be the Republican nominee, I think he'll look pretty "lightweight" to put it in his terms, when debating either of Bernie or Hillary.

Gee, I guess I'm a ******* now? ...I'll put my flame suit as I know I'll get shot down by Trump supporters and others who support the Republican party candidates. I don't miss being a Republican as family values and less government are not principles that the party appears to uphold any longer.

nah Hillary has a super pacs with dirty money to do her dirty work and destroy her opponents.

Trump will expose Hillary's lies in all the debates something Bernie doesn't do......Hillary attacked Bernie with lies and Bernie didn't call her a LIAR. Trump will not let any of her lies pass.

Everytime she says Obama trusted her to be his SECRETARY OF STATE is a lie.......Obama doesn't like her especially after the 2008 primary. Obama had to make a deal with the Clinton's in 2008 so they wouldn't divided party at the convention since Hillary won the popular vote in the primary and Obama won the Superdelegate count, the same thing Hillary is doing to Bernie because of the corrupt primary system the Democrat party has with the superdelegates. ......it was a backroom deal they made to make Hillary secretary of state, it had nothing to do that Obama trust her. Obama had other people in the Democrat party for the job more experienced than Hillary and not as war hawk as Hillary.......that's why Obama didn't pick hillary as v.p, He doesn't like her. He had no choice to make a deal with the clintons for secretary of state......those are the facts.

Bernie doesn't confronts her on that and many things....Trump will not let any of her lies go by.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 PM

27,666 posts, read 16,156,388 times
Quote:
I'm a I don't miss being a Republican as family values and less government are not principles that the party appears to uphold any longer.
Well then you switched to the right party. Family values and less government

Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
.... I honestly think it's gender bias, even if people can't clearly see it. She's been a very strong, outspoken woman for over 40 years and that seems to offend a lot of people.
I agree with you, and think most do not want to admit this prejudice.

Hillary has been a Senator and Secretary of State. She has the most qualifications, while Trump has none, he is very wealthy!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times
Quote:

Tonight as I sit watching Bernie and Hillary debate, I'm proud to say I now consider myself a Democrat.
Interesting. I was watching the same debate and asking myself who would be for this insanity. I guess I have my answer now.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,564 times
I prefer Hillary over Bernie

Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,720,880 times
I'm in the middle of the replay, but so far, I have to ask: How many times did Clinton bring up Obama's name when she herself was the target? Could she ever defend herself without making it sound as if Sanders was attacking Obama?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,589 times
I tuned in because I was hoping to hear more specifics from Bernie, but all I heard were talking points. At least, that was my impression of the first part of the debate. It got a little better with foreign policy, although there were still no details.
I find myself instinctively liking Bernie, but if he doesn't deliver on specifics, I may just make less of an effort to show up to the caucus.

I disagree about what several posters above said about Hillary and gender issues. I agree with her - we shouldn't be voting for or against a gender, just for the best person for the job. (For the reference - I am a woman in a predominantly male professional field)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections