Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 04:57 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,737,365 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT/trolling]
I just have a few questions and comments to make and I hope that the Trump supporters on this site will answer or comment on what I've said/asked. I promise to engage you in civilized discussion and I hope that everyone else participating will do the same.

1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?
2. I am American but I'm currently living and working in SE Asia. I regularly interact with other SE Asians, Australians, Middle Easterners and Europeans and everyone of them I've met think that he's a joke and that Americans would be nuts to vote for him. Does that worry you?
3. What plans has he laid out that will improve the condition of the country? How can he do a better job than Obama?
4. Do you think he has a better chance against Hillary or Bernie? Why?
5. Who do you think he should choose as his VP if he gets the nomination? Why?
6. Does his lack of political experience worry you? He claims he's going to do a lot, but he'll get nothing done if without Congress.
7. If he gets elected, what would be his legacy?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-23-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 05:26 AM

9,477 posts, read 14,442,120 times
1. What makes the country NOT great?

A country without territorial integrity. A country without legality. The issue is that globalization over the past 20-25 years has occurred at break-neck speed, often illegally, a betrayal of loyal, law-abiding citizens in various important ways.

2. I am American but I'm currently living and working in SE Asia. I regularly interact with other SE Asians, Australians, Middle Easterners and Europeans and everyone of them I've met think that he's a joke and that Americans would be nuts to vote for him. Does that worry you?

No.

3. What plans has he laid out that will improve the condition of the country?

End illegal immigration. Renegotiate trade deals. In a nutshell.

About the same. Too early to tell right now.

Bernie Sanders. They complement each other beautifully. Trump would be capable of actually considering the idea, but Sanders is too much of a putz who lacks chutzpah.

6. Does his lack of political experience worry you? He claims he's going to do a lot, but he'll get nothing done if without Congress.

Lack of political experience? Are you kidding? He's been buying and selling politicians left and right for decades.

To end illegal immigration, he does not have to pass one law, just implement current law. No doubt he would be very hard pressed to renegotiate free trade, and now investment partnership agreements, no matter the make-up of Congress because both parties are the same in that respect.

No one can possibly know that right now.

I tell you though, certain walls served their purpose for centuries, are at least partially still standing, and live fully in historical memory.

While we're at it, we could also build a beautiful gate to welcome immigrants legally, like we did at one time.

But the current system, supported by both parties out both sides of their mouths, is no doubt traitorous and shameful.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 AM

15,506 posts, read 6,484,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

A country without territorial integrity. A country without legality. The issue is that globalization over the past 20-25 years has occurred at break-neck speed, often illegally, a betrayal of loyal, law-abiding citizens in various important ways.

No.

Bernie Sanders. They complement each other beautifully. Trump would be capable of actually considering the idea, but Sanders is too much of a putz who lacks chutzpah.

Lack of political experience? Are you kidding? He's been buying and selling politicians left and right for decades.

To end illegal immigration, he does not have to pass one law, just implement current law. No doubt he would be very hard pressed to renegotiate free trade, and now investment partnership agreements, no matter the make-up of Congress because both parties are the same in that respect.

I tell you though, certain walls served their purpose for centuries, are at least partially still standing, and live fully in historical memory.

While we're at it, we could also build a beautiful gate to welcome immigrants legally, like we did at one time.

But the current system, supported by both parties out both sides of their mouths, is no doubt traitorous and shameful.
good post

Old 02-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

I asked several questions here and you only answered one part: "1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?"

No.

I understand the need for sovereignty, but how can we make deals with other countries if nobody likes us?

How is he going to do that? How is he going to get Congress on his side?

I don't understand your logic.

Maybe he's been buying and selling politicians for years, but how does that make him capably of passing law IN government?

My responses are in red

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,432,457 times
I doubt #2 is anywhere close to truthful. Somehow I doubt that every S.E. Asian, Australian, Middle Eastern and European person you meet has an opinion on Trump.

I could ask 10,000 people what their opinion of Choumally Sayasone is and I'll bet 9,999 would have no clue who he is.

People in South East Asia have their own concerns.

And you complain about hyperbole?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I doubt #2 is anywhere close to truthful. Somehow I doubt that every S.E. Asian, Australian, Middle Eastern and European person you meet has an opinion on Trump.

I could ask 10,000 people what their opinion of Choumally Sayasone is and I'll bet 9,999 would have no clue who he is.

People in South East Asia have their own concerns.

And you complain about hyperbole?
I'm going purely from my own experience and I won't deny the fact that what I said was purely anecdotal. Most people here in Malaysia don't care about US politics; however, those that do will often ridicule Trump more than anyone else. I'll admit that since I work in a college and tend to mingle with other lecturers, they tend to be better educated than the average Malaysian. But that being said, the average Malaysian is Muslim and probably wouldn't like Trump if they knew much about him. If I'm going to use my own anecdotal evidence from work and my social life, here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

I have a number of coworkers who don't care about the elections (except to tease me about Trump). Those that do
1. One Sikh woman who teases me about Trump and told me that if she could vote in the US she'd vote for Bernie.
2. A Christian man who told me he thinks Trump is a joke, but if he had the opportunity to vote, he'd vote for Rubio
3. A couple Muslim ladies, both of whom lived in the US for a time (MN and FL) always tell me they hope that Americans won't choose Trump.

As for my friends outside of work:
1. Most of my Malaysian and Singaporean friends love to share silly memes on my facebook page or just plain give me **** about him. (Including my wife!)
2. My Iranian friend liked to tease me about him (I would get him back with jokes about the Ayatollah)
3. I was at a party a few weeks ago with a lot of Iranians, some locals and some Europeans and it seemed like each one of them wanted to "talk" to me about Trump. Not a single one of them spoke favorably of him
4. Another long distance friend of mine from Australia wrote to me saying that she hope Trump doesn't win.
5. I had dinner with a friend of my wife's and her American husband (they were visiting her family back here in Malaysia and they currently live in NJ) and they all said that they hope Trump loses.

As for my students:
1. Most of my students don't care either way.
2. However, a few of them do follow the elections. The few that do usually like to tease me about Trump. I have one Iranian student who's really concerned and she'd told me she thinks I should vote for Bernie.

As for my flag football team.
1. Yes, I play on a flag football team in Malaysia.
2. My teammates love to occasionally crack trump jokes.
3. There are a few Americans on my team - one guy is a convert to Islam and he hates Trump. The other guy is a nutty conspiracy theory guy (Israel did 9/11), and even he's against Trump.
4. When we were watching the Super Bowl a few weeks back, the Irish bartender gave me **** about Trump. I told him that Trump was actually half Scottish, and he said, "that explains it." We both got a laugh out of it.

As for my wife...
1. My wife works for a student exchange program. After Trump made those comments about not letting in Muslims, a bunch of Muslim foreign exchange students' parents called to cancel their plans to go to the US. It was the outrage of the American people that got them to change their minds.

My strange experience...
1. I'm not sure if this one experience was related to Trump but I had to go visit a secondary school in Kuala Lumpur. The head of the department was giving me a tour of the school. She asked where I was from and I told her "near Boston." She said, "oh, New England." I was surprised she knew the region, but it was clear that she either read a lot or watched a lot of TV because she had never been there before. She then said later on, "I'm surprised you're here...since most Americans are Islamaphobic." To be honest, what she said was quite rude, but I just sucked it up and kept my mouth shut. I was about to get a free lunch

Friends and family back home...
1. Most of my friends back home don't like Trump. My immediate family hates him. But I do have some relatives who like him.

So I admit, my evidence is anecdotal. But I was only talking about my own experiences here.

Last edited by bolehboleh; 02-22-2016 at 02:18 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,432,457 times
Well, props for a well written reply. I don't believe that those on the other side of the world have a grasp on what is going on. First, I'm voting for Sanders and more on that in a minute.

A vote for Trump is less a vote for Trump than it is a vote against the GOP establishment. I have to give (R) voters credit for not backing down in showing their displeasure to the GOP powers that be. While I won't vote for him I do hope Trump wins the GOP nomination as I do not believe he can be any worse than what the GOP has gave us the last 20 years.

I'm amazed that the (D)'s have thrown their principles out the window to support Hillary. Hillary is everything the "left" claims to hate. She is the one that was over the program of running arms to the terrorists out of Libya.

I simply do not understand how Hillary, Obama or Bush can sleep at night knowing the death and destruction they are personally responsible for. (IMO Cheney is a psychopath incapable of such feelings).

So really, I doubt few in the other parts of the world are able to understand the big picture. I have been involved to a large extent and I do not understand much of it.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:19 AM

9,477 posts, read 14,442,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I asked several questions here and you only answered one part: What makes the country NOT great?"

I don't understand your logic.
I suggest you add the following to your experience:

1) study apophatics;

2) study Yiddish;

3) spend as much time in NYC (in particular Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as a bit of southern Westchester County) as you have in SE Asia, or at least 10 years, whichever is longer, focus very keenly on facial and other bodily gestures and glean their meanings, as well as common Yiddish expressions and their meanings in the NYC context.

Donald and Bernie.

Then, after 10+ years, come back and ask a new set of questions.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Well, props for a well written reply. I don't believe that those on the other side of the world have a grasp on what is going on. First, I'm voting for Sanders and more on that in a minute.

A vote for Trump is less a vote for Trump than it is a vote against the GOP establishment. I have to give (R) voters credit for not backing down in showing their displeasure to the GOP powers that be. While I won't vote for him I do hope Trump wins the GOP nomination as I do not believe he can be any worse than what the GOP has gave us the last 20 years.

I'm amazed that the (D)'s have thrown their principles out the window to support Hillary. Hillary is everything the "left" claims to hate. She is the one that was over the program of running arms to the terrorists out of Libya.

I simply do not understand how Hillary, Obama or Bush can sleep at night knowing the death and destruction they are personally responsible for. (IMO Cheney is a psychopath incapable of such feelings).

So really, I doubt few in the other parts of the world are able to understand the big picture. I have been involved to a large extent and I do not understand much of it.

I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but I'll admit that I voted for Bernie Sanders (for reasons we could discuss in another thread).

Trump truly baffles me. On one hand, you have a guy who's simply a jerk - he insults people, he says some pretty unkind things about Muslims and Mexicans and he seems to have no concept about how international diplomacy works. On the other hand, he seemed to be very much against the war in Iraq, which is rare for a popular Republican candidate. Yes, I know he said he supported the war on Howard Stern back in 2002, but the fact that he's tried to wiggle out of those words might actually be for somewhat noble reasons. It makes me think that under his presidency, we won't be involved in unnecessary wars. But I don't know because I don't know what he really believes since he just says whatever silly comment comes to his head.

I am happy that the GOP finally has their anti-establishment candidate, but they should have had him years ago with Ron Paul. Paul was a cleared headed Libertarian who could have gotten the GOP away from the Christian conservatives and refocused the GOP party for the future. The GOP could have spent this time re-branding themselves as a more Libertarian/States rights party and I think that it would have had greater appeal to today's younger voters. Throw in a few more moderates such has John Huntsman or Kasich and suddenly you have a respectable party again.

Instead, we get a party that many minorities believe is racist and homophobic (with good reason) as the White Christians slowly lose their majority status. Who will vote GOP in 20 years?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,465,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
[MOD CUT/trolling]

I just have a few questions and comments to make and I hope that the Trump supporters on this site will answer or comment on what I've said/asked. I promise to engage you in civilized discussion and I hope that everyone else participating will do the same.

1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?
3. What plans has he laid out that will improve the condition of the country? How can he do a better job than Obama?
Why don't you just do your own research instead of asking us loaded questions?

It is obvious that you are against him. Good for you. I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-23-2016 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections