Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
No, it's a top down decision. My Union endorsed Hillary and when I pressed them on it, they acknowledged Bernie probably has more support among our members but Hillary is more "electable".
I did my best to spread the good word but sadly, Texas is Clinton country.

My union has not endorsed any candidate, I think most of the members are split amongst Sanders and Trump. Not surprisingly most of the Trump supporters aren't the most well thought folks that I know, and that's putting it nicely so I don't get banned again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I did my best to spread the good word but sadly, Texas is Clinton country.

My union has not endorsed any candidate, I think most of the members are split amongst Sanders and Trump. Not surprisingly most of the Trump supporters aren't the most well thought folks that I know, and that's putting it nicely so I don't get banned again.
Still, Sanders got nearly half a Million votes in Texas-nice to see even if Hillary got much more.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Straight Shooter? I don't think so!

Firstly, your link does not include the graphic you posted, so you are doing a little bit of sketchy posting. Please provide the link to the graphic you posted.

Secondly:

Nice try. Working for a company does not make that company a "backer." of a candidate.

Goldman Sachs has contributed a total of $58,550 to the Cruz campaign

Top Donors data for Ted Cruz, 2016 Cycle | OpenSecrets

And that is likely made up of coworkers of Heidi.

Additionally, in his race for the senate, GS contributed $69,350. The breakdown was $64,350 INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTIONS, $5K PAC contributions, so again, if Cruz is beholden to GS, it is for a $5K contribution and that hardly seems like he is in their back pocket.

GS Total Political Contributions in 2014 was: $4.8 MILLION - and Cruz scored $5000 of all that money.

When you actually go to Open Secrets and look at the contributions to the Bernie campaign, you see the five donors are:

Alphabet, Inc. (Google's Parent Company)
University of CA
Microsoft
Apple
Amazon

Doesn't look like "the people" to me.
If you look at career, the OP is right. Hillary's 2016 contributors are also banks - just like her top ten career. Her number 1 career contributor is an abortion group.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
When you actually go to Open Secrets and look at the contributions to the Bernie campaign, you see the five donors are:

Alphabet, Inc. (Google's Parent Company)
University of CA
Microsoft
Apple
Amazon

Doesn't look like "the people" to me.
I missed this post the first time. I went to Open Secrets and didn't see this list. Post a link. And in any case, the most any one person can give to Bernie Sanders is $2,700.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sen. Hillary Clinton: Campaign Finance/Money - Top Donors - Senator Career | OpenSecrets
Hillary is beholden to nationless banks, detached corporations and the corrupt/colluded media.
Bernie is beholden to the people and labor unions.
Take your pick. If you are a person, you should probably vote Bernie.
If you are a corporation or bank (which are now counted as 'people' and possess all the rights that come with it according to the SCOTUS) you should probably vote Hillary.
Please don't try to make the argument that the donors of a candidate do not matter. These are businesses that would not spend money if they weren't getting a return on their investment.
As Bernie put it, it's an insult to the American people to suggest that it doesn't matter.
Internet Meme says Hillary Clinton’s top 10 donors are mainly "banks, corporations and media," while Bernie Sanders’ top 10 donors are labor unions.

Meme says Hillary Clinton's top donors are banks and corporations, Bernie Sanders' are labor unions | PolitiFact
This is why your argument is wrong and why you should quit posting that meme.

From your politifact Link

Quote:
Also, the "donors" listed are not the ones who gave the money, since that would be against the law. Rather, it was their PACs, employees and those employees’ families. In fact, due to how the forms are filled out, the data is less likely to capture individual donations from union members than from employers of companies. Most individual donations are listed by employer, and if, say, a union carpenter lists his affiliation as his company, the fact that he’s a union member wouldn’t be recorded.
those Aerospace union employees could be working for Boeing and other defense contractors

UAW employees for Ford, GM and Chrysler

those Bank employees you are attacking could be janitors for all you know.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is why your argument is wrong and why you should quit posting that meme.

From your politifact Link

those Aerospace union employees could be working for Boeing and other defense contractors

UAW employees for Ford, GM and Chrysler

those Bank employees you are attacking could be janitors for all you know.
If you really think it's groups of janitors donating hundreds of thousands, that's on you-but it's far more conceivable that the people that actually have the money to do so are funding politicians like Hillary.

Generally, most ordinary Americans just don't have money to waste on treasonous politicians that will not represent them while in office.

The meme is mostly true: "So the meme is pretty accurate for both candidates. However, we see a few things worth pointing out. The statement is accurate but needs clarification, so we rate it Mostly True "

Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Bernie is getting money from the unions. Meanwhile, the unions want amnesty for illegals:

Support For Amnesty Is Only Strong With Elites, Not Regular Americans | The Daily Caller

From the article:

When CIS/Zogby asked the same question to union members and their families, they also supported enforcement over amnesty by a 2-1 margin. Earlier this year, Rasmussen polled union members and found that 90 percent thought that reducing illegal immigration should be a top priority.

This should surprise no one. Illegal immigrants directly undercut the wages of working class Americans. In the past, labor leaders from Samuel Gompers to Caesar Chavez understood this and opposed mass immigration. Today, with the exclusion of the border patrol and ICE officer unions, every single union in America supports amnesty.

Why is this? Union leaders support mass immigration for two reasons. The first is that more and more working class Americans are leaving labor unions, and so big labor sees immigrants as possible new members. The second is that they depend on the Democratic Party and care more about electing liberal politicians than the interests of their own members.
--------------------------------------------------
Bernie also supports amnesty for illegals:

Sanders Wants To Give

--------------------------------------------------
Bernie also says that he wants to create more jobs for Americans:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/cre...lding-america/

From the article:

The Rebuild America Act would put more than thirteen million Americans to work in decent-paying jobs. These are jobs in sectors of the economy that haven’t fully recovered from the recession, like construction, and they are jobs that cannot be shipped offshore or outsourced overseas

-----------------------------------------
How can he talk about amnestying illegals and at the same time creating jobs for Americans? Right now we have untold millions of illegals in the country and 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force and millions of Americans who are underemployed or unemployed---many of these Americans were displaced in the work force by illegal aliens.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 PM

^You bring up good points, but it's a different issue really. Unions have their own problems- with many today mostly only interested in growing their wealth/power, and not protecting their employees/members. My co-workers and I often talk about how much of our Union dues are wasted on supporting establishment politicians-but I think it's also safe to say that the Union donations to Bernie are from employees themselves and not the Union establishments-whom are more likely to support a politician like Hillary. The largest Bernie has received is from Machinist/Aerospace workers Union-and it's not even $100,000 over several years. Hillary's is Citigroup at nearly $800,000.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How can he talk about amnestying illegals and at the same time creating jobs for Americans? Right now we have untold millions of illegals in the country and 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force and millions of Americans who are underemployed or unemployed---many of these Americans were displaced in the work force by illegal aliens.
I have mixed (strong) feelings on this issue. But under his ideal plan, there would be more than enough jobs to go around, and when people are working they are less concerned about issues like illegal immigration.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
It's interesting how Hillary received a $711,490 donation from Goldman Sachs the same company Ted CruZ's wife works for. It's almost like Hillary and Teddy are the same. They are both backed by bankers.
If you really think Cruz and Clinton are the same, you're thoroughly effing naive.

Wealthy donors like Goldman Sachs donate to all the establishment candidates as a way to hedge their bets. That way, they'll have the ear of the POTUS regardless of who it is.

Hilary's corporate ties are certainly a concern, but that in and of itself doesn't mean she'd be a terrible POTUS. Whomever is prez will have to work among an extremely complicated system of political, social, and economic institutions. It's not as simple as, 'When I'm prez, I'll do this, this, and this...'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I have mixed (strong) feelings on this issue. But under his ideal plan, there would be more than enough jobs to go around, and when people are working they are less concerned about issues like illegal immigration.
Any candidate who says they know how many jobs will be created under their economic plan is disingenuous. Economics is complicated. Numerous unforeseeable factors significant affect job growth. It's naive and ignorant to think we'll automatically have economic bliss regardless of who's POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections