Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 11 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,606,161 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...7qN/story.html
This one definitely hits home because I'm Louisiana born and raised - and more importantly, still lived there in 1991, during David Duke's infamous gubenatorial candidacy. I see a lot of commonalities between his race and Trump's bid.

I leave the actual content to the linked article. I'll provide some historical background.

David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK and neo-Nazi, ran a right-wing populist campaign. Except for the race listed below, he lost them all. Even so, he was a headache for even not-so-progressives.

1989: a State Representative seat in a New Orleans suburb in 1989, defeating the brother of the state's former Republican governor (can't get more 'establishment' than that).

1990: Ran for the US Senate against a well-heeded long-time Senator Bennett Johnston (by Washington standards a moderate, but considered liberal in La.) He got far more votes than the establishment-endorsed Republican candidate Ben Bagert. In fact, the Rep Party of La forced Bagert to withdraw in order to prevent a runoff between the Duke and Johnston.

1991: La Gubenatorial Race - This was truly historic, and attracted world attention. Even was headline national news for several weeks. Incumbent was Buddy Roemer (recently switched to Republican) against Democrat Edwin Edwards (former governor notorious for corruption), establishment-endorsed Republican Clyde Holloway, and Duke. 63% of the voters voted republican - a historic first for the state. Yet both the Incumbent and Endorsed Republican fell behind Duke. This lead to a run-off between Edwards and Duke. The same tone and similar rhetoric existed in 1991 La as in the US in 2016.

Basically, Duke's defeat is due to a coalition of racial minorities, business interests fearing a boycott of the state due to a Duke victory, and grass roots organization specifically aimed at convincing voters not to vote for Duke -- on both moral and economic grounds. Forcing Duke to get specific about the issues exposed Duke as both a lightweight and a pariah. This was especially exposed on one episode of Meet The Press. Duke, despite claiming to be all for economic developement, could not name the top three employers in Louisiana. He also didn't know what % of the population was in poverty! Tim Russert, the host, threw hard ball questions at him, and responded "Aren't these the kinds of things a candidate concerned about economic development should know?".

In short, if Trump gets the Republican nomination, all anti-Trump organizations and grass roots groups should put aside their differences and focus on a "Stump Trump" stragegy!

Believe me, this was not a pleasant episode for Louisiana. Having America go through this would be even worse!!!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Paul Ryan spoke this morning and suggested that the Republicans will not nominate Trump if he continues with his embrace of white supremacists and neo-Nazi groups.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:17 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Paul Ryan spoke this morning and suggested that the Republicans will not nominate Trump if he continues with his embrace of white supremacists and neo-Nazi groups.
Did Ryan say how they were going to do that?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
As a Democrat i'm all for Republicans stopping Donald Trump as he's all you got that might give Hillary a run for the money. Yes the man must be stopped at all costs!!! ,go get him..

Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
I haven't seen anything anywhere showing Trump "embrace" white supremacists and neo Nazi groups. Maybe you have some proof no one else has or maybe you just like to make up this stuff.
Show it to me. Trump denounced David Duke at least twice and has never endorsed or embraced any white supremacist or neo Nazi.
If you can actually prove this, you might be on the national news. Everything else is only videos of Trump saying he won't denounce groups he doesn't know anything about.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nope, but they have that rule (40?) if Trump can't get 8 states with a majority. Even then, a floor fight would mean that delegates have to change their support and I doubt that Trump's delegates would do that. Maybe the party breaks up and the conservatives run a third party. It is going to be interesting, I think.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:23 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He's going to have to nuke the Republican Party from orbit...just to be sure.

Depending on the outcome tonight, it may be too late. If you suddenly have a brokered convention, half the party is going to be outraged and pissed off, and the other half will just be angry.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,458,512 times
Quote:
It's not up to them, that's the problem.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Everything else is only videos of Trump saying he won't denounce groups he doesn't know anything about.
If you have to claim that you don't know enough about the KKK to denounce them, then you're allowing the endorsement.

Because he's dragged his feet at this, I think nothing short of a clear statement that racism and that support has no place in the Republican Party or in society at large is going to satisfy the rank and file R's.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,110,770 times
Quote:
You better show some sources to back up the claim that Trump is embracing white supremacists and neo-Nazi groups, or nobody will every take you seriously again.

Trump as already disavows David Duke, and said clearly that he doesn't want his support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yseotd_fxWY

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...#ixzz41a0lNwca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections