Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Again? Surely, you jest.

Thanks to the current WH occupant, we've been a laughingstock on the world stage for the last 8 years with our toothless consequences and angry letters.
Okay. That covered 2008. So now, what do you propose to change things to make this election better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Again? Surely, you jest.

Thanks to the current WH occupant, we've been a laughingstock on the world stage for the last 8 years with our toothless consequences and angry letters.
No, the world laughed at us for putting Bush back in the White House. Obama has had wide support world-wide.

But don't let a few facts penetrate your Limbaugh/Faux Noise world.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I've been enjoying watching the Republican party implode. It's horrible and fascinating.

Can I make the projection now that whoever is elected in 2016 will be just a one term President?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've been enjoying watching the Republican party implode. It's horrible and fascinating.

Can I make the projection now that whoever is elected in 2016 will be just a one term President?
Why? Is Kanye West winning next election?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:17 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know. This election is like the Jerry Springer Show except with everyone wearing suits.

Funny, I just made a reference to Jerry Springer on another thread. Politics has always been very dirty.

This is a great quote I once heard, although I admit I had to Google the person who said it.

"Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason." ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Old 03-02-2016, 12:39 AM

58 posts, read 43,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No, the world laughed at us for putting Bush back in the White House. Obama has had wide support world-wide.

But don't let a few facts penetrate your Limbaugh/Faux Noise world.
Bush and Obama both sucked.

The world disliked us when Bush was president because we kept invading countries on the pretense of looking for phantom WMD.

The world lost respect for us when Obama was president because he's weak and a push-over.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:48 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I'm not sure where to go from here; I've been libertarian (economic conservative / social liberal / small, rather than capital 'l') since I was in college (c. 1970), and I believe that the biggest problem is that too many overgrown children still vote more concerned with "bread and circuses", than with what they might have to lose.

No one will admit that the days of Truman and Eisenhower can't be revived, or that what we're sinking into is a lot like how things used to be done in Mexico -- but with two equally spineless parties instead of one dominant party.

Obama should have convinced even the most doctrinal Bible-thumpers that they can't expect to legislate other people's morality.

And Trump should send a message to the Far Left that a lot of people are tired of their Politically Correct self-righteousness.

Sanders probably knows, more than he admits, that he can't drastically alter the distribution of wealth; the institutions control more of it every year, anyway.

That leaves Clinton and Trump; the former is a professional politician who has been cutting back-room deals for thirty years, and has a huge pile of dirty laundry; the latter is a power-broker who, like Sanders, knows that the more zealous the follower, the less they know about realpolitik. He's promised too much, has no idea how to carry out his promises -- not that he cares to begin with.

And who has the foggiest notion of what comes next?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-02-2016 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
I think the media can be blamed for some of it. If you follow the news online or watch t.v. they seem to encourage the new low blow attacks to bolster ratings. It's sad they are paid to essentially start the problem or encourage it.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I heatrd from a few experts on TV if it is Trump vs Clinton in november lowest voter turn out ever I believe this
I don't know about that. Republicans turned out in record numbers while Democrat turn out was down for super Tuesday. Republican anger is driving this and will probably carry over to the presidential election.
Like it or not, get ready for President Trump.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What an utterly disturbing election cycle this is turning out to be. We will have two career crooks to choose from in this election. Great. Now the world gets to laugh at us again.

How can such a great country front such ridiculous candidates?
By not paying attention to the details of the candidate's platform, and likewise paying too much attention to the wrong aspects of a candidates personality (charisma) and not enough to their character (ethical or not) -- further reinforced by a long tradition of anti-intellectualism, especially when it goes against our desire for immediate results (particuarly when we say the end justifies the means...i.e. the results justify the acts required to achieve the results, opening the door to callous indifference of the negative effects of our acts for others). All this is further made worse by a strong tendency to celebrate charisma over content - especially an unspoken but obviously present attitude that slow-sober thought is b-o-r-i-n-g and a k-i-l-l-j-o-y, still further by widespread addiction to excitement that no doubt is further intensified by a heavy diet of flashy and intense media imagery.

All this influences our very definition of what true leadership is. Not just in politics. Not just in "big business". It even shows up in everyday life - even small local social clubs (how many officers in such clubs do you know of who have a dull, flat personality - even if they have the intelligence and creativity needed to be competent at their job position?). This way of assessing ones worthiness for leadership positions naturally will spill over into those other aspects of life.

Yeah, that jumped around from point to point, but that's my take on HOW we got to having Hillary and Trump/Drumpf* could become our candidates for President.

*Credit goes to John Oliver for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections