Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oh, give up on the bigotry. That myth was dispelled some time ago.
Trump began his campaign by employing dog whistle politics--in this case Mexicans and Muslims--and has attracted exactly the kind of people who respond favorably to those particular dog whistles. The poster you're responding to had it exactly right. Of course, if you are one of those who heard the whistle and came running, it's not a surprise that you would be incapable of understanding that. But the rest of us aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are so right: will I vote for Trump? Probably but it is just killing me. I have said many times: is it better to go with the devil we know or the one we don't know. This will be my first time voting for someone absolutely can not stand and I have been voting for almost 60 years. If it was anyone other than Hillary I would vote Democrat.
Vote third party if you have to, but don't give this disgraceful man your vote. You don't want to be one of the voters who helped put him in the Oval Office.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:39 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The guy says he doesn't like the politican label but that's exactly what he's being. He's flip flopped on so many issues he makes Kerry look like a man of convictions. The same things people would ding other politicians for, trump is doing the exact same thing yet he American reality show sheep overlook it just because it's "the Donald"
So are you saying he's just like Hillary?

- Hillary was all against gay marriage until the 2016 election season where she amazingly changed her mind and now is for it
- Hillary gives plenty of speeches on how she is going after Wall Street while she has tons of ties to it (ie, she's a lying bag of excrement)
- Hillary says she's a Democrat but supports as many wars as George Bush. Especially small conflicts which gets us hated more overseas and destabilizes the world even more.
(another article:  Good Riddance to Warmonger Hillary Clinton)
- Hillary ran a "war room" against women who claimed her husband harassed them and spoke out against them and them magically in a 2016 election season changes her mind tweets "all victims of sexual abuse must be heard" and has the nerve to claim to be a spokeswoman for woman's issues.

On racism in the US:  Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote

A choice quote from Hillary:

Quote:
Some might argue that it’s unfair to judge Hillary Clinton for the policies her husband championed years ago. But Hillary wasn’t picking out china while she was first lady. She bravely broke the mold and redefined that job in ways no woman ever had before. She not only campaigned for Bill; she also wielded power and significant influence once he was elected, lobbying for legislation and other measures. That record, and her statements from that era, should be scrutinized. In her support for the 1994 crime bill, for example, she used racially coded rhetoric to cast black children as animals. “They are not just gangs of kids anymore,” she said. “They are often the kinds of kids that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.”
And best of all (pay attention you Democratic party voting union members!):

Fool me once, shame on Hillary
1990's-early 2000's Hillary: I support my husband's push for NAFTA
Democrat Party supporting Unions: This is (provably) not good for us
2007-2008 Election season Hillary: I think NAFTA was a bad idea
2007-2008 Hillary supporters: Hillary is allowed to change her mind (sound familiar?)

Fool me twice, shame on me
2012-2014 Hillary: I'm fully behind the Trans Pacific Partnership (she said this publicly 45 times claiming this is the 'gold standard')
(NOTE AFTER SHE SAID NAFTA WAS BAD!)
Democrat Party supporting Unions: This is not good for us
Sanders said TPP was bad!
2015-2016 Election season Hillary: I'm (now) against the Trans Pacific Partnership

Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Being flexible, means the `ol Bait & Switch.

Tell you one thing to get elected and flexes to halfass it, or do the complete opposite, in a compromise.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is code for flip-flopper.

The Donald, is in no way any form of conservative.

He is a salesman. He will tell you what you want to hear, to sell you. Then he said straight up, he is all about Bait & Switch, when making a sale... Flexible, eh?

America is being sold a Bait & Switch artist. At least with Hilary, she is being honest about **cking you in the ass.
This. So much this.

How the millions of Trump-bots out there fail to realize or acknowledge how badly they will be screwed over if he gets elected just boggles my mind.

I'm a conservative and Cruz is my only option out of the front runners remaining (even though I still don't like his personality). If it comes down to Trump vs. Clinton in the general, I'll vote for a third party candidate, but Clinton would be preferential for me over Trump.

With that being said, you don't get to where Trump is in life by being a stupid person or ignorant about how the world works. Too bad this can't be said about many American voters in general (not that I consider myself a political expert by any means, and I majored in Poli Sci).

Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Completely concur. I think Trump is probably a lot more intelligent and pragmatic than the media gives him credit for.

I'm 29 now and I hold almost none of the views that were quite dear to me when I was 20. I've "evolved" on virtually every issue. Intelligent people consider the evidence and are constantly reassessing and iterating. It's not a bad trait in itself. Circumstances often change and what previously looked smart now looks foolish.

You don't get to where Trump is without a capacity to get along, often with varying groups of people with divergent views. The fact that he has grown a successful enterprise (with failures along the way - most big businessmen have them) proves that he's neither stupid nor completely set in his ways.
I agree with you on almost all points, especially the bold area, even though I'm not voting for Trump. I disagree with the pragmatism argument, however; even with having made good business decisions (and some bad ones) over time, Trump is something of a hot head.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Being flexible, means the `ol Bait & Switch.

Tell you one thing to get elected and flexes to halfass it, or do the complete opposite, in a compromise.
What do you want him to do? Read the phone book for 48 hours then go home like Cruz. What did he accomplish? Trump is not hiding anything. He touts the art of a deal as his manifesto. What do you think a deal is?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
What is the fear? That he will abandon building the wall altogether? In exchange for what? Some kind of compromise is needed on deportation. It is logistically and socially very complex. There has to be some kind of agreement among the parties for it to work.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US Constitution, like all scripture and all religious law, is subject to subjective interpretation which tends to differ, school to school, scholar to scholar.
The constitution is a legal document that should have a minimum of subjective interpretation. The problem is the US constitution is very dated and far out of sinc with the realities of a modern federal State. It's no longer working well at all. In fact since the war between the states the USA has been decidedly unconstitutional in it's politics. The document was created with the object of federation of sovereign states with strong local governments with a fairly weak central government that took care of specific common needs like defense for instance. The result of the war was a monolithic federal government interfering in all aspects of the nation. It's long past time this document that is not even followed is retired and a new constitution created. This would an impossibility even if the current constitution created total governmental dysfunction and political chaos like we have seen for many years.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:21 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Cape Cod Todd Flip Flop or Pivoting? Watching the attacks on Trump in the debate last night I can't believe how they were attacking him. They were pulling up things from 20-30 years ago. I think most people would change their minds on important topics in their lives as they aged and matured.
Oh hell, they sure do....I was a repub, then a dem, then a repub, now an independent....and a hippie, and now a really strict conservative....so....

Quote:
As for the more recent flip flops I think Trump is a guy that often gets on a rant then the next day he or his advisors tell him to back it up a bit. He was so keen on deporting 11 million illegal aliens but now I think he realizes that that is not possible.
yupper, now your cookin

Quote:
There has to be give and take in any negotiations or debate. People do change their minds as more evidence comes to light. Trump is a business man, a salesman so he is constantly trying to please as many people as possible. It is his nature.
right again, you get a cupie doll...however, I think it goes way deeper then what your presently willing to believe....

Quote:
Looking at the 3 other candidates Trump has tried and failed at more things then the 3 have in total. He has also seen more success than the other 3. There really is no comparison to Trump.
No there isn't and I also believe Trump knows all and has seen all and that is why he is running....

Quote:
Will he make a good president?
I don't know, but I do believe Trump is the kind of man, who wouldn't be spending all this money on his campaign simply to feed his ego.....there is lots more going on there....we shall see, won't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections