Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The vote of party members in primaries and caucuses is only symbolic and has no bearing on who the nominee will be. That is decided behind closed doors as new rules are devised to qualify only the candidate that the republican establishment wants. (Republican establishment ruled by billionaires)
The Republican Party has had candidates they weren't thrilled about but they got the 1,237 delegates, they weren't nutcases, they embraced most of the platform, and didn't trash the party every chance they got, so it was the end of the story and they became the candidate.

Trump is a nutcase, I would even argue dangerous. I am glad the party is doing what they can to stop him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont feel slighted at the super delegate system, its a private entity they can make up the rules how they seem appropriate, if there was a Trump equivalent on the Dem side and the roles were reverse i would be thanking my lucky stars for the superdelegates. If I dont like it I can affiliate myself with the GOP
This is exactly how I feel, except my party is the one with Trump.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The Republican Party has had candidates they weren't thrilled about but they got the 1,237 delegates, they weren't nutcases, they embraced most of the platform, and didn't trash the party every chance they got, so it was the end of the story and they became the candidate.

Trump is a nutcase, I would even argue dangerous. I am glad the party is doing what they can to stop him.
Thanks for your opinion ... fortunately, 7.8 million Americans that voted disagree with you and I'm sure there's many more to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Thanks for your opinion ... fortunately, 7.8 million Americans that voted disagree with you and I'm sure there's many more to come.
More have voted for a candidate not named Trump than have voted for Trump. I look for Kasich's numbers to start moving up. Cruz has already won a state above the 50% mark. Trump has yet to achieve that other than with the 343 voters of The Northern Mariana Islands.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Trump certainly doesn't offer any serious "answers", if "answers" exist at all, but he's popular with voters of a mature age, who feel they've been betrayed after many years of playing the game by the rules.

Betrayal is, regrettably, central to the practice of realpolitik -- precisely because the public is conditioned to expect too much.
I can only repeat what I have been saying all along. This election is not about Trump or any other candidate.
IMO Diamond's view as stated below could very well include the USA along with Russia and Venezuela. Under electoral authoritarian regimes, elections are subject to such state manipulation as to strip them of value. The political parties are in essence the state for all practical purpose.

Diamond states that one of the main reasons for this recession in democracy is a surge of young democratic countries who employ rigged elections, intense intimidation of any opposing political party, and unstoppable expansion in executive power. What makes it worse is that many of these countries are still being accepted as democracies by western states. He cites Vladimir Putin in Russia and Hugo Chávez in Venezuela as examples. Due to the growth of these corrupted semi-democracies, which Diamond calls electoral authoritarianism, there has been a worldwide fall in the confidence in democracy especially in developing countries.

They say the world is watching this election. If so, it is not advertisement that promotes democracy or a middle class necessary for a quality first world existence but one that seeks to eliminate the middle class in favor of a 3rd world country. It is an example of how democracy is corrupted to create a decline of a superpower with a vacuum to be filled by ----? Something worse ?

Last edited by phma; 04-03-2016 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I feel betrayed.

By allowing the crazy fundies to dominate social policy and running total goofball candidates, they have all by guaranteed democrat presidents for the last 8 years and foreseeable future.
Agreed! And this plays directly into the hands of the least-visible and most-manipulative of the Chicago-gangster Democrats -- who hope to turn the nation into a stable-but-sluggish society dominated by an ignorant lumpenproleteriat, and run by a sham one-party "democracy" similar to Mexico.

Disturbed as I am by Trump's lack of character, his election would, at least, demonstrate more readily and quickly the fallacy of turning to a would-be strongman. And the juvenile "progressive" dreamers would be brought back down to earth at the same time. That's precisely why they're afraid of him!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
I was a Democrat and I voted for Obama once. From that I learned the stupidity of voting for the party. So I no longer belong to the Democrat party. But I didn't join the GOP.

With that said, I do support Trump because of what he says and not because of the party that he belongs to. If he were Independent or Democrat I'd still vote for him.

Th disenfranchisement by the party hacks ought to be lesson to anyone who cares about the election. It's no different than the way the Democrats have engineered the primary to put Hillary Clinton on the ticket. Bernie, and the millions of ordinary people who support him, never had a chance.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your vote will mean nothing at the RNC. The establishment will decide what is best for you. The RNC will make up new rules as they go along so that they can choose the candidate.

The First Rule of the Republican National Convention: There Aren’t Any Rules (Yet) - US News

Going out in the cold winter weather to vote was for nothing!
Wait until supporters show up at the convention, a million strong...

And yet you Dems don't care if Bernie is disenfranchised by the Dim Establishment. You just say ''yes massah" and shuffle off.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:06 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
More have voted for a candidate not named Trump than have voted for Trump.
This can be said about any candidate in the race.

I find it remarkable that Trump has managed to get more votes than any of the other candidates, when the GOP "establishment" has spent 10s of millions against him and the MSM declared months ago that he wasn't a real candidate. He took down not only the Bush family with their $150M war chest, but Marco Rubio who was being touted as the future of the GOP.

The people have spoken. Yet, the party, obviously, doesn't care about the people. They cite "rules" that have existed since Lincoln. My guess, Lincoln would be appalled at how the party is treating its front runner.

You can bet that if the GOP manages to finally destroys Trump's candidacy, they will also be losing the millions of people, including myself, that he brought to the GOP.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
More have voted for a candidate not named Trump than have voted for Trump. I look for Kasich's numbers to start moving up. Cruz has already won a state above the 50% mark. Trump has yet to achieve that other than with the 343 voters of The Northern Mariana Islands.
Please ... Trump has more popular votes than any of the other GOP candidates. He buried Rubio in his own state. Cruz won 69% in the Utah caucus, a highly religious, mostly Mormon state. The bigger surprise is why wasn't Lyin Ted's number even higher ? I think Warren Jeffs' extended family must have voted for Cruz. And the good news is that Utah is not representative of the way the rest of the country thinks.

Come talk to me after the Northeast primaries and we'll see how much appeal Cruz and Kasich have.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This can be said about any candidate in the race.

I find it remarkable that Trump has managed to get more votes than any of the other candidates, when the GOP "establishment" has spent 10s of millions against him and the MSM declared months ago that he wasn't a real candidate. He took down not only the Bush family with their $150M war chest, but Marco Rubio who was being touted as the future of the GOP.

The people have spoken. Yet, the party doesn't care about the people.

You can bet that if the GOP manages to finally destroys Trump's candidacy, they will also be losing the millions of people, including myself, that he brought to the GOP.
Trump didn't bring me to the GOP but he will be the reason I leave if the GOP establishment doesn't get its act together. And if I knew what I know about Romney now back in 2012, I would have voted for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections