Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Trump didn't bring me to the GOP but he will be the reason I leave if the GOP establishment doesn't get its act together. And if I knew what I know about Romney now back in 2012, I would have voted for Obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The GOP used media outlets like Fox News and Limbaugh to do their dirty work of denigrating Democrats and now it has backfired in a big way!
But the point remains:

The fundamental cause of the discontents of the past sixteen years is economic; The North American dominance of 1945-1970 had to end because the markets, like nature, loathe an imbalance, and will correct it. What both Trump and Sanders are promising simply can't be, and there is no huge pile of "stolen wealth" to try to build another Great Society at the expense of an imaginary "one percent".

No matter who's elected, we're going to have to learn that the Emperor has no clothes; and the biggest threat inherent in the hard choice that will follow is that our individual liberties (and responsibilities) will be further compromised and sacrificed by the follies of interest group politics and Political Correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 10:27 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
IMO, the RNC has already picked their candidate and will write the new rules so that only their pick will qualify. (I am betting they have chosen Kasich.)
So basically your thinking is that they are going to write a single rule for the 2016 convention, stating the winner of GOP primary in Ohio will become the Republican nominee, no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I can only repeat what I have been saying all along. This election is not about Trump or any other candidate.
IMO Diamond's view as stated below could very well include the USA along with Russia and Venezuela. Under electoral authoritarian regimes, elections are subject to such state manipulation as to strip them of value. The political parties are in essence the state for all practical purpose.

Diamond states that one of the main reasons for this recession in democracy is a surge of young democratic countries who employ rigged elections, intense intimidation of any opposing political party, and unstoppable expansion in executive power. What makes it worse is that many of these countries are still being accepted as democracies by western states. He cites Vladimir Putin in Russia and Hugo Chávez in Venezuela as examples. Due to the growth of these corrupted semi-democracies, which Diamond calls electoral authoritarianism, there has been a worldwide fall in the confidence in democracy especially in developing countries.

They say the world is watching this election. If so, it is not advertisement that promotes democracy or a middle class necessary for a quality first world existence but one that seeks to eliminate the middle class in favor of a 3rd world country. It is an example of how democracy is corrupted to create a decline of a superpower with a vacuum to be filled by ----? Something worse ?

Yet again another excellent post that gets to the heart of the problem. The only thing that makes our country a democracy is our privilege to vote for our leaders. It appears this is only an illusion and the "establishment" really decides an election. The establishment are those in power, extremely wealthy, and special interest. Trump is not beholden to them as he funded his own campaign which is why the RNC is doing their damnedest to prevent Trump from becoming the nominee.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,738 times
This is why I have no allegiance to either party. Im not a follow the herd kinda person who votes blindly for a party. Ive voted R and D in the past, I vote for who I think makes the most sense. However, being pretty conservative, Im not happy with a pathetic fraud like Trump running as a Republican.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Wait until supporters show up at the convention, a million strong...

And yet you Dems don't care if Bernie is disenfranchised by the Dim Establishment. You just say ''yes massah" and shuffle off.
For the record, I am Independent. I vote on issues. I posted this thread about the RNC because they are planning to deny the front-runner with the most popular votes, (Trump) the nomination. At least Hilary is the front-runner (most popular votes).

Old 04-03-2016, 03:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont feel slighted at the super delegate system, its a private entity they can make up the rules how they seem appropriate, if there was a Trump equivalent on the Dem side and the roles were reverse i would be thanking my lucky stars for the superdelegates. If I dont like it I can affiliate myself with the GOP
Some sheep like to be led off the cliff--and that's ok.

I commend many Dems on admitting that their votes don't mean much of anything (nothing personal).

Old 04-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
But the point remains:

The fundamental cause of the discontents of the past sixteen years is economic; The North American dominance of 1945-1970 had to end because the markets, like nature, loathe an imbalance, and will correct it. What both Trump and Sanders are promising simply can't be, and there is no huge pile of "stolen wealth" to try to build another Great Society at the expense of an imaginary "one percent".

No matter who's elected, we're going to have to learn that the Emperor has no clothes; and the biggest threat inherent in the hard choice that will follow is that our individual liberties (and responsibilities) will be further compromised and sacrificed by the follies of interest group politics and Political Correctness.
What is compromised is our democracy. A failed leader leaves office but a failed democracy remains.

Quote:
Simple Definition of democracy
: a form of government in which people choose leaders by voting
~Merriam Webster Dictionary

Old 04-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So basically your thinking is that they are going to write a single rule for the 2016 convention, stating the winner of GOP primary in Ohio will become the Republican nominee, no ifs, ands, or buts about it!
They will design the rules such that Kasich will be the only qualifying candidate for nomination. That is my prediction. Remember, you heard it here first.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:17 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
They will design the rules such that Kasich will be the only qualifying candidate for nomination. That is my prediction. Remember, you heard it here first.
Highly unlikely to happen. Although he is preferable to either Trump or Cruz, he isn't too liked within GOP circles either, and his nomination would be a complete and utter wash with the voters in the GOP given his lack of votes in the primaries.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Some sheep like to be led off the cliff--and that's ok.

I commend many Dems on admitting that their votes don't mean much of anything (nothing personal).
The RNC is taking Repubs for a ride off the cliff as well. At the very least, we need join forces and fight to keep our democracy alive. Party doesn't matter when the same establishment controls it and us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections