Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,774,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Kitty, if you could count,
Insult simply means you can't address points made with logic or fact.

That fact is that it has been 170 years since an incumbent Democrat was elected to replace an incumbent Democrat President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 PM

759 posts, read 642,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Kitty, if you could count, you'd know that it's actually been 180 years. Martin Van Buren in 1836.

It doesn't matter.

I put more faith in recent trends than ancient history, but as I said before, whatever helps you make it through the night.
Ok... here's a recent trend. Only once in the last 60 years has a party won 3 straight terms... (Reagan 80, 84, Bush 88)

In every other election following a 2+ term party in the Oval Office, the other party won.. (1952, 1960, 1968, 1976, 1992, 2000, 2008)

Here come the "But!!!! This isn't a normal election" replies...

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,165,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Quit whining.
Me correcting an inaccurate statement is "whining"? So only spreading lies is acceptable behavior in your book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yep... LBJ and Truman weren't elected...they followed a president who died in office.
Maybe you should check your history books. Truman won the 1948 election and Johnson won the 1964 election.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM

1,229 posts, read 862,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
History is not on Hillary's side. Last time a Democrat was elected to succeed a Democrat President leaving office was apparently before the Civil War. 1856.

Based on this trend alone, Trump will be the next President of the USA.

History Is Not On The Democrats Side

Arf Arf
I'm praying to the sky gods every day and night for a 60 percent correction in the S&P/NASDAQ and more sovereign municipality defaults so it crushes more boomer 401k's and pension funds and they either can't retire or are forced to try to return to the work force. It will knock Clinton and the Democrats right out of the ballgame for good.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 PM

32,234 posts, read 15,208,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I'm praying to the sky gods every day and night for a 60 percent correction in the S&P/NASDAQ and more sovereign municipality defaults so it crushes more boomer 401k's and pension funds and they either can't retire or are forced to try to return to the work force. It will knock Clinton and the Democrats right out of the ballgame for good.
Why in the world would you wish to do that to them

Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,328,538 times
Quote:
Insult simply means you can't address points made with logic or fact.

That fact is that it has been 170 years since an incumbent Democrat was elected to replace an incumbent Democrat President.
It's 180 years, not 170.

But it doesn't matter for this election.

And it doesn't change the fact that you can't count and you wouldn't understand logic or fact if it bit you in the arse.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,328,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why in the world would you wish to do that to them
Because political fanaticism trumps common sense.

Pun intended.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,124,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Wow, you are hoping for something that would bankrupt and ruin millions of Americans and throw seniors onto the streets just to help your con man attain the White House?

Yep, sounds exactly like what a Trump supporter would root for. Must be part of that whole "Make America Great" campaign, huh?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM

759 posts, read 642,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yep... LBJ and Truman weren't elected...they followed a president who died in office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Maybe you should check your history books. Truman won the 1948 election and Johnson won the 1964 election.
I don't think my history book has changed since I read it the last time but since you fail at reading comprehension I'll spell it out for you...

Truman took office on April 12th, 1945 following the death of FDR.

LBJ took office on November 22nd, 1963 following the death of JFK.

I bolded my original comment so you can re-read it.

Yes they were elected to a follow up term... but they weren't elected by the people to follow an incumbent Democrat... which is what this thread is about.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,650,117 times
Quote:
But it did happen in 1856 so your logic fails.

i.e. It's pertinent until it's broken. So far there's a 170 year record since a Democrat was elected to replace an incumbent Democrat. History is against Hillary on this accord.
It's about as pertinent as saying Hillary will be elected because no President has been elected without holding prior office. Guess that means history isn't on Trump's side either.

So here we are. After the wingnuts were harping on Obama's lack of experience because he only had one term as a senator they've gone and nominated a complete amateur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections