Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:06 PM

30,713 posts, read 18,362,610 times

Advertisements

This is not a personal attack on Obama or Hillary, but, and this is just me, foreign leaders interfering in domestic politics isn't exactly going to make me more likely to support a position, especially if the foreign leaders come in with a "we know what's best for you" attitude.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-24-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,307,048 times
It is pretty funny that prior to this, whenever the fact that world leaders laugh at and are terrified of Trump, all the pro-Trump people would yell--"who cares what other countries do or think?

Who cares about them?" Now all of a sudden, they are a 'bellweather' and there is some deep meaning--we need to be like them?

Dream on.

Many already regret it. Gee--apparently a lot of those voting to leave didn't have a clue what it meant--very very low info voters. They didn't know it would affect the economy--duh!

They're blaming the Leave leaders for conning them.

"...One Leave voter told the BBC, "I'm a bit shocked, to be honest … I'm shocked that we actually have voted to leave, I didn't think that was going to happen. My vote I didn't think was going to matter too much, I thought we were just going to remain … the period of uncertainty we're going to have for the next couple months, I think that's just been magnified now..."

Looking at the 250 percent spike in Google queries of "What happens if we leave the EU?" in the early morning hours after polls closed, The Daily Mail goes as far as to suggest that "many people may not have known exactly what they were voting for in the EU referendum."

It just goes to show — if you shoot first and ask questions later, someone's going to end up dead. Jeva Lange"

http://theweek.com/speedreads/632139...oting-leave-eu

Last edited by Enigma777; 06-24-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 01:34 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,282,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not sure what you mean by "kind of quiet", Clinton issued this statement early this morning:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brief...n-brexit-vote/
Apparently it only counts if you go on the record about Brexit having a positive impact on your personal finances.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:37 PM

17,377 posts, read 11,355,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Apparently it only counts if you go on the record about Brexit having a positive impact on your personal finances.
If the voting had gone the other way, they'd both be holding press conferences stating how wonderful the people have spoken.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,538,353 times
If Scotland secedes, the US will need to eventually remove US missile systems and submarines that are located in Scotland. They are nuclear and if Scotland goes independent, they reportedly plan to go nuke-free within 4 years of independence.

Moving the missiles and submarines reportedly will cost the US billions of dollars to either move them to the US or elsewhere in the UK if a deal can be made to move them somewhere else in the UK.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,531,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If Scotland secedes, the US will need to eventually remove US missile systems and submarines that are located in Scotland. They are nuclear and if Scotland goes independent, they reportedly plan to go nuke-free within 4 years of independence.

Moving the missiles and submarines reportedly will cost the US billions of dollars to either move them to the US or elsewhere in the UK if a deal can be made to move them somewhere else in the UK.
Trump isn't aware of the repercussions of BREXIT. He just continues to vomit unfiltered ideas that come out of a brain educated by watching weekend TV news shows.

Trump: I Get My Military Advice from Watching Shows - Breitbart

Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,570,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Trump isn't aware of the repercussions of BREXIT. He just continues to vomit unfiltered ideas that come out of a brain educated by watching weekend TV news shows.

Trump: I Get My Military Advice from Watching Shows - Breitbart

Todd asked, “Who do you talk to for military advice right now?”
Trump answered, “Well, I watch the shows. I mean, I really see a lot of great — you know, when you watch your show, and all of the other shows, and you have the generals, and you have certain people –.”
Todd continued, “But is there somebody, is there a go-to for you? Every presidential candidate has a go-to.”
Trump answered, “Probably there are two or three. I like Bolton. I think he’s a tough cookie, knows what he’s talking about. Jacobs is a good guy –.”
Todd asked, “You mean Ambassador Bolton? You mean Colonel Jack Jacobs?”
Trump confirmed saying, “Colonel Jack Jacobs is a good guy, and I see him on occasion.”

Old 06-24-2016, 02:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,126,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

The Westminster Parliament (London) needs to approve such a referendum. The only reason they approved it the last time (2014) was because the SNP promised it would be a literal 'once in a lifetime' thing, not a 'keep trying until we get our way' thing.

It's incredibly unlikely another referendum will be allowed. They had their chance, and they voted to stay in the UK even knowing that a Brexit referendum was likely.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM

9,415 posts, read 14,363,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Westminster Parliament (London) needs to approve such a referendum. The only reason they approved it the last time (2014) was because the SNP promised it would be a literal 'once in a lifetime' thing, not a 'keep trying until we get our way' thing.

It's incredibly unlikely another referendum will be allowed. They had their chance, and they voted to stay in the UK even knowing that a Brexit referendum was likely.
The Scots didn't have the guts to do it the first time. There is little reason to believe they will have the guts to do it a second time, until proven otherwise.

I was rather surprised at the relatively subdued market reaction which I would describe as mere profit-taking on stock markets in the UK and US after recent highs in the past several weeks despite anemic growth on both sides of the Atlantic. Meanwhile, eurozone stock markets fell much further, suggesting that global asset allocators believe that eurozone countries need the UK more than the UK needs them.

Even the pound rebounded some 3.2% after the initial swoon.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-24-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 02:09 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,347,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

I suppose time will tell whether you are right or whether Scotland gets another shot. The Brexit vote in Scotland was pretty undeniable, as it was in Ireland, as well... now if London could vote out of Great Britain... now that would be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections