Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Pretty much this. Plus Trump proved, as a lot of us suspected, that the GOP base is not as tied to party orthodoxy as they assumed they were. They prefer a lot of Democratic positions in regards to social welfare. They just don't feel the Democrats represent them anymore is all. You really think the average Southern GOP member who supported all the social welfare programs the Democrats enacted gives a fig about small government?
That is the Rockefeller Republican logic. It is far too uncommon today. However, while Trump TRIES to be that, he comes off as a social conservative at the same time despite not being a religious-based social conservative. Trump has been anti-Muslim as bad as say a Cruz or a Huckabee (both religious-based social conservatives) as well as against abortion, even to the point of saying women should be punished for it.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,650,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gordon View Post
The first is from George Will, venerable Fox News Political analyst wrote this:” If Trump is nominated, the GOP must keep him out of the White House.” And this: Should Trump get the nomination, conservatives would have to “help him lose 50 states – condign punishment for his comprehensive disdain for conservative essentials, including the manners and grace that should lubricate the nation’s civic life."

Just the fact that you posted this quote from Will, shows that you haven't a clue about this election. It's not about Trump. It's about We the People who are tired of the same old, do nothing Washington establishment and a worthless, narcissistic president.

And Will, venerable? He's a political hack who should have retired years ago because of his allegiance to the GOP establishment.

Read Will's quote again.

Quote:
"condign punishment for his comprehensive disdain for conservative essentials, including the manners and grace that should lubricate the nation’s civic life."
Who even talks like that? I know what he's saying but really, who talks like that? Establishment politicians and their political hacks, that's who.

In November, it will be the anti Trump's who will hold their noses and vote Trump. No, not all of them, but enough who realize how important this election is, if nothing else, than for the supreme court nominations.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Just the fact that you posted this quote from Will, shows that you haven't a clue about this election. It's not about Trump. It's about We the People who are tired of the same old, do nothing Washington establishment and a worthless, narcissistic president.
And you expect Trump to be any different? I haven't seen a more narcissist since Lex Lugar in his WWF debut. You described Trump to the T. Well maybe that he isn't worthless, but if he don't have Congress behind him, he WON'T be. Trump is against TPP, besides Cruz, a few R's and a few D's, who else is in favor of that? Who else is behind his wall in Congress? Think critically. We all know he will resort to executive orders when Congress blocks him. I won't mind it, but will the anti-Obama crowd do that?

Quote:
And Will, venerable? He's a political hack who should have retired years ago because of his allegiance to the GOP establishment.
One person's "hack" is a credible reporter, look at Fox News prior to being anti-Trump, many conservatives and Republicans thought the world of them.

Quote:
Read Will's quote again.

Who even talks like that? I know what he's saying but really, who talks like that? Establishment politicians and their political hacks, that's who.
Trump has actually tried to vet this by bringing in an establishment politician as the VP pick in Gov. Pence of Indiana. But remember, that pick also poisons the well if you like rights for abortion (though Trump himself was hammered on "Women should be punished" and now LGBTQ issues (though Trump recently came out in favor of the NC transsexual restroom restrictions.) Then throw in all of Trump's flip-flopping including his jobs policy (his business ventures are VERY OPPOSITE of his current policies) and his before universal healthcare before he was against it (and now favoring removing statelines but roughly keeping the core of Obamacare, just not calling it the ACA.)

In November, it will be the anti Trump's who will hold their noses and vote Trump. No, not all of them, but enough who realize how important this election is, if nothing else, than for the supreme court nominations.[/quote]

Perhaps BUT, let's remember that we have seen a VERY negative message in a lot of Trump in ads, the same message that Steve Forbes claimed to be a reason Romney lost (in his opinion mind you) not long after Romney lost in 2012. Forbes Welcome
Quote:
IV. Romney Failed Because His Campaign Failed to Deliver Positive Substance

All this could have been overcome if Mitt Romney had waged an aggressive campaign of positive substance the way Ronald Reagan did when he challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980. The Governor had good ideas on tax reform and other issues but most of the time his approach suggested they were almost sideshows. Instead Romney hammered the poor economy but as Reagan could have told him that approach alone will not do the job for a challenger. Romney also badly mishandled the immigration issue. After winning the primaries, Romney should have embraced the sensible immigration reform bill put together by Republican Senator Marco Rubio. He didn’t do so – a big mistake.

On the auto bailout issue, Romney really didn’t find his voice on that until near the end of the campaign – way too late. The approach Romney suggested back in 2008 was an eminently sensible one under the circumstances, and as noted above, would have left GM a far stronger company and would have saved taxpayers at least $30 billion. Concerning the economy, Romney’s over reliance on the issue hurt him as people began to believe that things were getting better albeit very slowly. On this issue he should have hammered home the fact that the economy is headed for recession next year because of Obama’s new taxes and tsunami-like wave of anti-growth regulations.

Unfortunately the most potent GOP issue came up hardly at all – ObamaCare. More than anything else, this issue was the motivation for the impressive Republican showing in 2010. But Romney could only treat it gingerly because of what he had done as Governor in Massachusetts.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,666,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You can't say Trump will lose because he isn't a conservative, because guess what, conservatives hate Hillary Clinton 1000 times more than Trump.
That's not necessary so.

I have talked to a few conservative friends and colleagues who say they would rather vote for Hillary because they know what they are getting with her and she isn't all that "progressive."

That's my argument for why I don't like her. She is beholden to Wall Street and Big Business and isn't at all progressive. She's is also in favor of the U.S. using the military to intervene in the affairs of others. 40 years ago, she would have been a Republican.

If the GOP nominated Kasich, or hell, even Rand Paul, I would have voted for the GOP nominee over Hillary. Instead, they nominated a nutcase.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
That's not necessary so.

I have talked to a few conservative friends and colleagues who say they would rather vote for Hillary because they know what they are getting with her and she isn't all that "progressive."

That's my argument for why I don't like her. She is beholden to Wall Street and Big Business and isn't at all progressive. She's is also in favor of the U.S. using the military to intervene in the affairs of others. 40 years ago, she would have been a Republican.

If the GOP nominated Kasich, or hell, even Rand Paul, I would have voted for the GOP nominee over Hillary. Instead, they nominated a nutcase.
This is my thing, that said I think Trump's biggest fault has come out today and no it isn't the VP pick or electability, rather what many have said about Hillary... Soliciting donations from foreign politicians in particularly, members of British Parliament. //www.city-data.com/forum/44786286-post1.html

Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,652,228 times
A body language expert determined that Trump really didn't want Pence to be his running mate: Body Language Success: Nonverbal Communication No. 3625: Donald Trump Introduces Mike Pence as his "1st Choice" VP Pick (Not!) - Body Language Signs (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

Weird, too, that they played "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as the "theme song" for this event.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on: there are reasons for his getting so many votes: primaries are very different than in years past, he is appealing to many who never have voted (hopefully they will go to the polls in Nov.) He is a novelty and he is promising so many things he can not deliver. Yes, I will vote for him, hopefully many will but the facts still remains the majority of the American people do not like him or approve of him. Do I think he can win? NOPE but I will give him credit, he has steered up emotion and the future could be better because of him. I still do not like the idea of his being our President.
I honestly can't understand why you would vote for a man when you can say, "I do not like the idea of him being president." Sure, he's stirring up emotions, as you said but that isn't going to solve the problems we have this country, it's only making them worse. We need to vote out ALL the down ballet people in the house and senate and get people into those offices who will work TOGETHER. We've had too many years of people not willing to compromise to move things forward. Trump does not play nice with others and never will.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The OP in his opening opinion ignores the most important reason Trump is going to be the president of the U.S. The left falls back on the some old BS to win this election they use for every election.
This election isn't about Trump. This election is about America that is going in a destructive direction.

The voters put Trump where he is. The OP wants us to believe that the election is about Trump. The left has been told time and time again this election isn't about Trump. They won't listen and they don't listen to what the people and voters want. We reject the same old status quo, the same old crap that puts us where we are.

They can't even talk about what they are offering. That's how bad what their offering is. They can't talk about it. Who can blame them. Their offer is to put a criminal enterprise with a background of corruption in the W.H. Someone who's greatest achievement has been special treatment and a double standard to avoid criminal prosecution and is still under FBI investigation.
Sorry, but that's bull manure. This election IS about Trump because he's made it all about him. The only people who think differently are the brain-washed Trumplets who would, indeed, as Trump himself has said, still support him if he shot and killed someone.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,710,269 times
Pence is just a plus-one on the list of things that are possibly trump's biggest problem... This article lists quite a few other candidates for that top spot:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...645_story.html

Old 07-17-2016, 12:24 PM

4,587 posts, read 3,417,630 times
So many people I know just want the border controlled. Where were Kristol and crew when Bush lied and went all liberal on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections