Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The "democrats" I spoke of were the majority of voters in NYC since most NYers are registered Democrats.
Yes, democrats rule in NY politics. True.

But the point is there's a mass exodus going on out of NY....the democrat utopia you speak of is not reality. If it was so well run, why are so many people fleeing?

The Empire State Exodus Continues : Empire Center for Public Policy

http://www.howmoneywalks.com/why-is-...-latest-trend/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Steve, I read the articles.

Let's be fair: they were about New York State, not New York City ... which happens to be growing in population - or didn't you know?

Bloomberg was mayor of New York City.

Other towns in the state are losing population, like Buffalo for example.

The city of New York is in fact booming! Do you have any idea how many tens of BILLIONS of dollars in construction is going on right now in Manhattan alone? Want to know? Look up these projects: * Hudson Yards* (a collection of supertall skyscrapers that is the biggest and most expensive construction project the the entire history of the US), or the *Verre* Tower, or recently completed 432 Park Avenue - tallest residential tower in the world - taller than the Empire State Building (where apartments go from $3.5 million to over $40 million!), not to mention World Trade Center towers #3 and #4, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

I visit NYC about every other month and I am astonished by the construction going on there. If you haven't been there recently you have no idea.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,912,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, democrats rule in NY politics.

But the point is there's a mass exodus going on out of NY....the democrat utopia you speak of is not reality.
I never said it was a utopia but yes, it does attract the best and the brightest. It's the land of competiton therefore Trump is not popular with these people because they are not mediocre and bitter, in general. Maybe 30 years later they will be but no, they will just move so place else. Trump's movement is about a mindset and negative world view. Optimistic people don't NEED to follow a wannabe dictator.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Steve, I read the articles.

Let's be fair: they were about New York State, not New York City ... which happens to be growing in population - or didn't you know?

Bloomberg was mayor of New York City.

Other towns in the state are losing population, like Buffalo for example.

The city of New York is in fact booming! Do you have any idea how many tens of BILLIONS of dollars in construction is going on right now in Manhattan alone? Want to know? Look up these projects: * Hudson Yards* (a collection of supertall skyscrapers that is the biggest and most expensive construction project the the entire history of the US), or the *Verre* Tower, or recently completed 432 Park Avenue - tallest residential tower in the world - taller than the Empire State Building (where apartments go from $3.5 million to over $40 million!), not to mention World Trade Center towers #3 and #4, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

I visit NYC about every other month and I am astonished by the construction going on there. If you haven't been there recently you have no idea.
Got ya. I was looking at the bigger picture of New York state.

I see NYC as San Fran.....if you have lots of money/rich, you'll do well. The vast majority of people who are middle class and below, it's not a paradise/too expensive. I know NYC well, visited often, and have friends and family who live nearby. Even the "cheap" burroughs are getting expensive now.

Found this article on the topic:

NYC's Population Tops 8.5 Million for First Time, New Census Figures Show

Much of the growth isn't from people wanting to move to NYC but from a higher birth rate:

"“What's happened, and what I think really turned it around, and what's driving the population is the large number of births,” said Andrew Beveridge, a demographer and a professor of sociology at Queens College."

And given this statement plus NY is on it's way to dropping again in total population(from 3rd to 4th most populated), that still doesn't bode well for NYC/the entire state as a whole on many levels.

"“Except for Albany and Saratoga and one other county up north, there's really no growth at all. In fact, population loss in New York State,” Beveridge said"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I never said it was a utopia but yes, it does attract the best and the brightest. It's the land of competiton therefore Trump is not popular with these people because they are not mediocre and bitter, in general. Maybe 30 years later they will be but no, they will just move so place else. Trump's movement is about a mindset and negative world view. Optimistic people don't NEED to follow a wannabe dictator.
The best and the brightest are moving to the 21st century growth areas in the sunbelt states. NYC is too expensive for most middle class and below to live a quality life. Ironically, given this is a democrat stronghold, would think they'd do more to make it a middle class and below haven, not one for largely the rich, ie "the best and the brightest".

Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 PM

1,009 posts, read 709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep. I've spent time in NYC under all 3 administrations, and DeBlasio = when compared to either Bloomberg or Guiliani. I also remember what NYC looked like toward the end of Jimmy Carter's term as POTUS......
That was Ed Koch and he was a three term mayor . He was a pretty good mayor until David Dinkins came into office .

Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 709,352 times
[quote=Yankeemama;44947498]Bloomberg is not a real Republican as you well know. And Guliani is a fascist and just "moved" the homeless problem so NYC Disney doesn't SEE the homeless of NYC. Sure the streets are cleaned up but NYC is pretty sterile and transplants have taken over the city and they RUN NYC. So yes, the best and brightest from all over the world are attracted to NYC because of the opportunities it presents. Generally the best and brightest are Democrats and believe in meritocracy. Too bad the Reoublican NYers aren't that competitive and are tempted by Trumpy. Trumpy is selling false security to bitter people.[/QUOTEi

You are preaching to the choir as an ex Democrat nor am I a Republican so keep your insults to yourself . Please be my guest in voting for the brightest Democratic candidate Hilabeast Her resume speaks volumes corruption , lies , incompetence of Sec. State . Shading land purchases in Arkansas the list goes on .

Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,714,453 times
OH NO

little mike retires!

Little Mike Retired to Old Friends | BloodHorse.com

Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
Spoken like a true democrat you avoided my comments on DeBlasio .
Probably also because she hasn't been to NYC since DeBlasio became mayor.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
NY is on it's way to dropping again in total population(from 3rd to 4th most populated), that still doesn't bode well for NYC/the entire state as a whole on many levels.
The State of New York ranked 3rd in population after the 2010 Census, but....dropping in rank as you surmised.....by the Census Bureau's own July 1, 2015 estimate, the State of New York had already dropped to 4th in population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Old 07-30-2016, 02:24 AM

No. She lives in 'Portlandia'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections