Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoung View Post
Regardless if you think he sold out or not, I originally meant who will carry on his movement in 2020 and beyond? Think of the movement more than the man.
Hopefully the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM

24,013 posts, read 15,110,703 times
My whole family has been involved in politics for as long as memory serves, both parties.

The Sanders people were not educated on anything about how a convention works. That was Weaver's job.

As much as I like Bernie, he should never have been permitted on the Democratic ballot.

His supporters who were convention delegates were idiots.

He has already said he is running for another term from Vermont.

Now, all y'all Bernie supporters, go find out how much money Weaver walked away with. Managers used to get a cut of the take. Joe Trippi walked away from the Howard Deane campaign with enough cash to go in half on an an ocean front house in Cape Cod with his Republican buddy.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:17 PM

16,110 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Quote:
Now that progressives have seen young voters overwhelmingly favor Bernie, I imagine there will be progressive/Bernie-like candidates in the next few elections.

Who do you think would be the best person to take the baton from Bernie (assuming a 78 year-old Bernie decides not to run/challenge in 2020)?
Sanders is an experienced and elected politician with a name and a good reputation. There is no one like him on the horizon right now. Besides, these candidacies tend to be issue driven --- meaning media driven to some degree. Another attack like 9-11 or some major reforms over the next term (student loans, tuition, Citizens United, etc.) and the air will go out of the movement.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I don't believe he "got everything he wanted" though I do believe they threw sander's a few crumbs to push the dem party a bit further to the left. Though I wouldn't trust the dems/any politician or political party for that matter to keep their word as none of them can be trusted. Look at the picture those wiki emails painted, telling sander's everything is on the up and up while behind the scenes it appears to tell a much different story yet he trusted these types in the end/played ball with them. Someone crosses me once behind my back, I don't play ball with them anymore as I label them as "can't be trusted!". I believe that's what rational people do.

I've always believed if sander's really wanted to accomplish much more of the things he talked about, he'd carry on as an independent, green party, etc. For a guy who talked ad nauseum about how the political system is corrupt/rigged/bought off, how in the world would he all of a sudden trust the corrupt/bought off system to keep their word to him he just a short time ago preached so hard against? And in my view, many of his points about the system being rigged/bought off were spot on.

He failed/let his followers down. Big disappointment. Just another politician in the end acting like the type of politician he spoke against. Same old same old.

Exactly.
What, exactly, has Jill Stein accomplished? Bernie accomplished more by losing than she ever will. AND, he is going back to being an independent.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,333,621 times
Quote:
Now that progressives have seen young voters overwhelmingly favor Bernie, I imagine there will be progressive/Bernie-like candidates in the next few elections.

Who do you think would be the best person to take the baton from Bernie (assuming a 78 year-old Bernie decides not to run/challenge in 2020)?

Nobody. Bernie did nothing, he was just there to receive the anti-Clinton votes, that's all!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:44 PM

34 posts, read 29,100 times
I'm sure that is the case for some people, but the Bernie supporters I know are dedicated to his platform rather than just anti-Clinton.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,712,782 times
U.S. Representative Dent

Old 07-31-2016, 11:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,724,194 times
The saddest thing about the Bernie phenomenon is that he has effectively and brutally cooled down the passion of his supporters, esp. the young supporters. The next person to try a grassroot campaign will not have so many donors as Bernie did: people have been given a lesson. It has been made clear that you can't beat the establishment no matter what.

It would have been different if Bernie didn't turn around to "proudly" endorse the corrupt opponent, even if he ended up losing.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What, exactly, has Jill Stein accomplished? Bernie accomplished more by losing than she ever will. AND, he is going back to being an independent.
Other than name recognition, not much I'm aware. But isn't that true for most politicians? They accomplish selfish goals/"me" goals, not much for the people based on what I see.

I think wiki accomplished much more than sanders did, ie getting shultz fired. She was fired a few days after those emails came to public view. I see sander's as accomplishing speaking a lot of words against the system/politicians like clinton he complained about so much on many levels yet endorses her in the end. If that's an accomplishment, well, perhaps an accomplished sellout? I can agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
The saddest thing about the Bernie phenomenon is that he has effectively and brutally cooled down the passion of his supporters, esp. the young supporters. The next person to try a grassroot campaign will not have so many donors as Bernie did: people have been given a lesson. It has been made clear that you can't beat the establishment no matter what.

It would have been different if Bernie didn't turn around to "proudly" endorse the corrupt opponent, even if he ended up losing.
I think that's a good point. Lots of people learned an important lesson that many know already....don't trust any politician. Though I don't agree on beating the establishment part. Trump did it in the primaries. Took on all the money and beat them all. He had major hate thrown his way. You have to be tough/stick with it. Sander's beat himself in my view.....he sold out/didn't stick with his vision. He's to blame, not the establishment.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Trump did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections