Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I expect Clinton to win but are are also mindful that Trump can win if Democrats stay home or vote for Jill Stein. I am cautiously optimistic.
This. I am not over-confident because I never thought the American electorate would ever let Trump get this close to the White House to begin with. This is a crazy election season, like none I've seen before. Cautiously optimistic is where I'm at as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This. I am not over-confident because I never thought the American electorate would ever let Trump get this close to the White House to begin with. This is a crazy election season, like none I've seen before. Cautiously optimistic is where I'm at as well.
That is my feelings.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Clinton campaign elite that partied at the convention tends to live and operate in the rarefied world of the east and west coasts of the US. They don't spend a lot of time in the small towns of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia that will decide this election.

These are towns where a lot of people hate Hillary Clinton, really, really hate her. They may be underestimating the strength of that antipathy.

The Democrats are confident, they'd do well not to get cocky.
US election: Are the Democrats too confident? - BBC News

Boy does working-class America ever hate Clinton......with a passion!
No. The Democratic party doesn't just exist in that world you mentioned. Democrats exist all over Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, and no matter how much they may hate Clinton, Trump scares far too many voters. Fear is powerful in comparison to discontent, and Clinton isn't hated nearly as much as you think. Stuck with 2 bad choices, voters are going to go with their traditional favorite party over the candidates.

That's a given now in both parties. Easily as many Republicans dislike Trump as much as the Democrats dislike Clinton. That's proven in the polling. And when it comes to party approval, the Democratic party is exactly 50/50. 49% of the voters like the party, 49% don't. The Republican party now has only 39% of the voters who like the party the best. That percentage has risen almost 10 points over 2016, but not enough to win the White House.

The Democrats know very well how unpopular Clinton is. They aren't taking anything for granted at all.
The fact that Trump is even more unpopular right now isn't a sure thing.

Trump could actually abandon his lifelong habits and ways because the stakes are so high, even though its doubtful. If he does, soon, he still stands a chance of pulling a few unhappy Democrats into his tent, along with more independents and undecided voters, and that's something the Democratic party fully realizes. If he fails to do so, all the statistics are against him winning.

Take it to the bank the Democratic party isn't counting on Trump to keep burying himself every week and drops the shovel.

They all know his magnetism can pull him out of the hole he dug himself if he just quits doing what he's doing now. Charming Trump is a lot cuter than Angry Trump. No one denies or ignores that.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
they still are too confident

Old 05-27-2017, 12:49 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Yet, despite being fully aware of the 'chances' of Trump digging himself out of that hole, of capturing independents and some democrats, the Democrat Party, and the Clinton campaign failed to take appropriate action like campaigning where the electoral college votes were, that counted and in were in doubt.

Every Californian could have voted for Clinton and it would not have mattered. What better support is there for the Electoral College system we have as being the best for ~240 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. The Democratic party doesn't just exist in that world you mentioned. Democrats exist all over Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, and no matter how much they may hate Clinton, Trump scares far too many voters. Fear is powerful in comparison to discontent, and Clinton isn't hated nearly as much as you think. Stuck with 2 bad choices, voters are going to go with their traditional favorite party over the candidates.

That's a given now in both parties. Easily as many Republicans dislike Trump as much as the Democrats dislike Clinton. That's proven in the polling. And when it comes to party approval, the Democratic party is exactly 50/50. 49% of the voters like the party, 49% don't. The Republican party now has only 39% of the voters who like the party the best. That percentage has risen almost 10 points over 2016, but not enough to win the White House.

The Democrats know very well how unpopular Clinton is. They aren't taking anything for granted at all.
The fact that Trump is even more unpopular right now isn't a sure thing.

Trump could actually abandon his lifelong habits and ways because the stakes are so high, even though its doubtful. If he does, soon, he still stands a chance of pulling a few unhappy Democrats into his tent, along with more independents and undecided voters, and that's something the Democratic party fully realizes. If he fails to do so, all the statistics are against him winning.

Take it to the bank the Democratic party isn't counting on Trump to keep burying himself every week and drops the shovel.

They all know his magnetism can pull him out of the hole he dug himself if he just quits doing what he's doing now. Charming Trump is a lot cuter than Angry Trump. No one denies or ignores that.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Clinton campaign elite that partied at the convention tends to live and operate in the rarefied world of the east and west coasts of the US. They don't spend a lot of time in the small towns of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia that will decide this election.

These are towns where a lot of people hate Hillary Clinton, really, really hate her. They may be underestimating the strength of that antipathy.

The Democrats are confident, they'd do well not to get cocky.
US election: Are the Democrats too confident? - BBC News

Boy does working-class America ever hate Clinton......with a passion!
There is not much good will in a political party and politicians that calls out the opposing party supporters as racist sexist deplorable's.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:00 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Tin foil hat wearers of the world, unite!!!
Did you lefties unite?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
War is a mere continuation of politics by other means.”
-- Clausewitz

The reason for conceding elections and dialing down the partisan rhetoric for a year or so after a presidential election is that the point of politics is to avoid civil war. We ratify, in other words, a peace treaty between the Ins and the Outs until next time.

The Democrats and the mainstream media are not doing this. Al Gore conceded the election and then un-conceded it. And Hillary Clinton has gone along with all this “resistance” stuff. Sorry Hillary, even if the left managed to un-seat Trump, you will not be president and you still have to regain over 1000 seats.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
The MSM is completely biased at this point. If you watch or pay attention to the MSM, you're going to think this country is a lot different than it actually is.

Most people in rural America see the MSM as nothing but pure BS because in their world it is pure BS. From my experience most people that that where born and raised in urban America have no idea what's actually outside of their fish bowls. This is why it seems preposterous that Trump got elected to so many of them. If I didn't know a single person that didn't hate this guy, I would probably have thought there's no way he could have won as well.

Just imagine how bizarre the news would seem to people living in urban areas if conservatives completely controlled the media.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:17 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Did you lefties unite?
I guess how "lefty" you think someone is depends on where you're standing. Be careful. Don't want you to fall of the stage and hurt yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections