Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Very likely that Americans will be seriously looking at the third party (LP) in 2020 when either Clinton or Trump trash the country and they become completely fed up.

Ignore the ignorant Trump chimps.
I'm hoping thats the case, I just hope that the Libertarian nominee is a strong one, hopeful that a 5% popular vote this year helps that along.

I don't mind engaging the Trump supporters, I think there needs to be more open and honest conversation about why voting 3rd party can make a change and isn't a wasted vote. Cutting down on that mentality is pretty important too.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I've been saying that if a liberal can't stomach voting for Hillary, Johnson is their perfect alternative.
Actually, according to Political Compass , Gary is the most right-wing candidate and Trump is to the left of HRC.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Creepy Johnson shows his goofy side.. which is opposite his other goofy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlmU9LvtAs
What a nut.. never saw Trump get that nuts, never.. Trump is mild very mild.. it is the media that portrays Trump as out of control.. now this Gary Johnson is way out angry. Trump does not get angry at all.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Well, I can't stomach Beck! Beck is a crackpot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
What you fail to realize though is that many Johnson supporters, myself included don' really care if Trump or Clinton wins. Its a foregone conclusion that one will win, and they are both horrible in their own ways. I personally couldn't stomach casting a vote for either because it indicates that I support their lying, self motivated, and dangerous ways. Additionally, I'd much rather contribute my vote to increase the overall popular vote % for Johnson because that is the real win this year if it happens.

Squabble over who it takes votes from all you want, but its like the old saying about the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Well, if you don't care if Trump or Clinton wins, I don't see the issue. Vote for whoever you want, but don't expect to sell your candidate to anyone that is intensely interested maintaining our nationalism, who we are and what we stand for.

I, personally, would not vote for someone that advocates for marijuana. They always swear it has no lasting effect on their brain, but that isn't what it seems to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its all about perspective. 5% popular vote is a win in my eyes. It sets up the Libertarian party to get federal funding in 2020 which hopefully means better candidates, a stronger start, and a spot at the table when it comes to name recognition and the debates. I'm happy with baby steps to work towards improving the horrible options that we were stuck with this year. This whole "lesser of two evils" voting has to end, it keeps resulting in worse and worse candidates ever time around. Something needs to change.
Ah, you're a "everyone gets a ribbon" for participating type. OK, I understand that. I am not from the generation though. I have voted for 3rd party a couple of times.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:59 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I can't stomach Beck! Beck is a crackpot!

Well, if you don't care if Trump or Clinton wins, I don't see the issue. Vote for whoever you want, but don't expect to sell your candidate to anyone that is intensely interested maintaining our nationalism, who we are and what we stand for.

I, personally, would not vote for someone that advocates for marijuana. They always swear it has no lasting effect on their brain, but that isn't what it seems to me.

Ah, you're a "everyone gets a ribbon" for participating type. OK, I understand that. I am not from the generation though. I have voted for 3rd party a couple of times.
I don't care if Trump or Clinton wins, and I've said here multiple times that I won't tell people how to vote. I will however correct what I see as misrepresentation of positions that Johnson holds.

As for marijuana, its too hard to know anything. Because its illegal, they can't even do worthwhile studies on it so its not really easy to say either way.

I'm certainly not an "everyone gets a ribbon" type, you are seriously misrepresenting what I said there, and in fact I despise that mentality. It is a simple fact though that if any 3rd party gets 5% of the popular vote, they become eligible for federal funding in the next cycle. Instead of having to run off of the small amount of cash they are able to raise, they would be granted close to $10M to fund their campaign. Looking at a small win like that which is a baby step in the right direction is a far cry from the "everyone wins" model that you imply.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:39 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
take a look at today's polls.

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Latest Polls

In the one where Johnson falls to 7%, Trump is ahead.
In the two head-to-head polls, without Johnson or Stein,
Trump is ahead in one, they are tied in the other..........
We've talked about this before. You want us to only look at one poll.
I ain't buying it.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Actually, according to Political Compass , Gary is the most right-wing candidate and Trump is to the left of HRC.
Left; Right; Upside Down........ I don't care. I like his policies no matter what someone wants to call them.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm not sure Johnson will be able to overcome the plethora of uninformed voters who repeat the open border chant.

Open Borders is a handy anti-Johnson chant, and it works with the low information voters, but it does not describe Johnson's preferred immigration policy.
Taken from Gary Johnson on the issues:

Let some, but not all, illegal immigrants stay in US. (Nov 2011)
We educate the world's best & brightest; why send them back? (Jun 2011)
Open the border; flood of Mexicans would become taxpayers. (Jan 2001)
Mexican immigrants are pursuing same dreams we all have.

No thanks.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What a nut.. never saw Trump get that nuts, never.. Trump is mild very mild.. it is the media that portrays Trump as out of control.. now this Gary Johnson is way out angry. Trump does not get angry at all.
What a goofball! Technically coming into this country illegally is against the law but we mustn't call them illegal immigrants because it is incendiary. Why? According to Johnson "because it just is'. Ok....nice to know he bases his opinions on facts.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:41 PM

1,202 posts, read 642,091 times
Did he attract more people that Hillary did? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections