Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,073,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Good one. Now who is the president of Alpo?
Lorne Greene!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,073,333 times
Don't know anything about Johnson other than he is a libertarian but..
Stupid gotcha question in my opinion. Why not ask about Syria? Is knowing the names of the town that important?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,613,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Don't know anything about Johnson other than he is a libertarian but..
Stupid gotcha question in my opinion. Why not ask about Syria? Is knowing the names of the town that important?
Agree. His follow-up answer concerning Syria helped. It would also help if he got the National Intelligence briefings like the other two candidates where this was probably a major part of the briefing. Also, he doesn't have the huge campaign machinery that Clinton and Trump have to clean up their messes.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,017,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From page 1....

Because then anyone can call themselves a presidential candidate and get access to this information.
False. Can "anyone" get on the ballots in all 50 states? Heck even Jill Stein couldn't and she is the second closest to qualifying for anything.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,149,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I would've told him Aleppo was the fifth Marx Brother.
Another good one. Now who is the president of Zeppo?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,149,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's what smoking weed does to you, folks.
Then what is Trump's excuse for being a no-nothing ignoramus? Heck, he doesn't even drink.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,605,967 times
I'm not surprised that GJ lacks knowledge on basic foreign affairs. Johnson has likely lost any chance he had of me voting for him. His performance in the CNN libertarian town hall from about a month ago was already quite damaging in my eyes, but this may be the finishing blow. I mean, if you don't have decent knowledge and awareness of foreign affairs, then you have no business running for POTUS. Period. It doesn't matter what the candidate's party, ideology or beliefs are.

Not getting the national security briefings is not an acceptable excuse. There are probably more than a few 18-21 year olds that have a better understanding of foreign affairs than Gary Johnson (including having heard of Aleppo). Jeez.

The Libertarian Party has probably erased any chance it had of hitting that 5% threshold in November. (They never had a real chance of hitting the 15% needed to qualify for the debates.) A lot of libertarians, independents and #NeverTrump Republicans were already wary of the guy.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM

39,179 posts, read 51,531,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I'm not surprised that GJ lacks knowledge on basic foreign affairs. Johnson has likely lost any chance he had of me voting for him. His performance in the CNN libertarian town hall from about a month ago was already quite damaging in my eyes, but this may be the finishing blow. I mean, if you don't have decent knowledge and awareness of foreign affairs, then you have no business running for POTUS. Period. It doesn't matter what the candidate's party, ideology or beliefs are.

Not getting the national security briefings is not an acceptable excuse. There are probably more than a few 18-21 year olds that have a better understanding of foreign affairs than Gary Johnson (including having heard of Aleppo). Jeez.

The Libertarian Party has probably erased any chance it had of hitting that 5% threshold in November. (They never had a real chance of hitting the 15% needed to qualify for the debates.) A lot of libertarians, independents and #NeverTrump Republicans were already wary of the guy.
He heard "a leppo" - two word I think. Everybody gets a brain fart now and then. I could have forgiven him had he followed up with a sensible answer. But all he said was a Trumpesque "we need to work with the Russians. It's a mess".

Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,800,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's because our country's political system is a two-party system and it blocks any other avenues for potentially capable individuals from being front and center. Where was Gary Johnson last night - why wasn't he on the stage with the Demo-GOP candidates?

Why isn't Johnson getting national security briefs like the other candidates to allow him to be on a level playing field?
Huh?

Someone needs to get national security briefs to know something/anything about Aleppo?

Wow.
Just wow.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,208,528 times
Johnson: "What's an Aleppo?"

Trump: "I know more about ISIS than the Generals do."

Dumb and dumber. That leaves Hillary Clinton as the only candidate standing who is capable of being commander in chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections