Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,905,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Well there was a law passed in 1965 that some say led to our current issue with undocumented workers in the US
Some say a lot of things, but it was more a post 1965 attitude that enforcing immigration law and the civil rights act that not viewing illegals as equal was "racist". I'm certainly against the 1965 immigration act and subsequent ones. It had all kinds of unintended and probably intended and hidden consequences. Should've kept the 1964 law intact only made it more restrictive if anything.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,011,751 times
We'll be a one party system in a decade. Go look at a grade school, and then go look at an old folks home = Checkmate

Add to this that the media has never been as powerful or liberal as they are now. A lot of people under 30 think that the word Conservative basically means racist, sexist, homophobic etc. The social conditioning between our media and our educational system is pumping out liberals like a well oiled machine.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 PM

25,663 posts, read 17,406,594 times
Quote:
I can't see a Republican winning until they change their platform. Pro life but support abortion. Against the death penalty. For defending and standing by the Constitution. Decrease of Federal Goverment power give more to the States, restore balance. Focued on healthcare, criminal justice, and social issue reforms. For marriage should be between a man and woman, but feel it shouldn't be the Governments job to say who you can or can't marry. Neutrality in regards to making laws for or against individuals, genders, class, race, sexuality, and so forth. For legalization of marijuana. Changing their stance on environmental issues. Doing away with corruption and stopping kickbacks from Lobyist and change Election funding. Tax reform. Taking ideas or reaching for candidates from the Republican Liberty Caucus.

Agree or disagree?
I agree, but I don't think the Republicans will be able to change enough.

I suspect there are an awful lot of people like me who simply cannot bring themselves to vote for a Democrat, so I vote Republican - or Libertarian, this year.

To your point, though, the Republicans DO win. But not in The White House.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
We'll be a one party system in a decade. Go look at a grade school, and then go look at an old folks home = Checkmate

Add to this that the media has never been as powerful or liberal as they are now. A lot of people under 30 think that the word Conservative basically means racist, sexist, homophobic etc. The social conditioning between our media and our educational system is pumping out liberals like a well oiled machine.
Thanks to non-stop mass immigration, liberals are able to seed democrat voters in every district in America turning it all blue. It's like Monsanto planting its GMO corn all through the land until nothing else exists.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,643,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Thanks to non-stop mass immigration, liberals are able to seed democrat voters in every district in America turning it all blue. It's like Monsanto planting its GMO corn all through the land until nothing else exists.
And yet bush did nothing to stem the illegal immigration tide.

I guess cheap labor was more important to the republicans until Obama became president.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
And yet bush did nothing to stem the illegal immigration tide.

I guess cheap labor was more important to the republicans until Obama became president.
Not that I disagree, but Bush doesn't represent all us Republicans. Trump is not Bush that's why we nominated him and not another Bush or similar. Democrats nominated and appear to be in the verge of electing Clinton. We had a Clinton before. Remember NAFTA (misnomer should be called MFTA since we already basically had free trade with Canada before NAFTA).

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
There are a few issues:

1. complicit main stream media that leans left and therefore shows bias in reporting towards the left. Seems most people these days want to pay more attention to what (insert latest celebrity here) is doing rather than what direction our country is headed in.

I'm a lifelong conservative (and used to be republican, but I don't know what I am anymore), but it's not the "liberal media" that spouts out all the hateful nonsense and crazy ultra-religious-based legislation that the GOP seems to be all about these days.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,846,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Their is more to elections than the presidency. Republicans control more state legislators, governorships and the house and those number have been steadily increasing over the last 30 years.

The country is not turning into single party system. Two or three (assuming Hillary wins) is a small sample size comparing two individuals against each other. When electing a president the vast majority of people don't care about positions or platforms, they care about the person. The democrats have picked more electable individuals, that is all. It is not some progressive shift in America, it is people loosing Obama more than McCain and Romny and Clinton more than trump. If the republicans picked one of the 16 other nominees we would be talking about how Clinton in 8 points behind right now and the republicans controlling the presidency, the house and the senate.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,501,292 times
Quote:
We are a Country based off of immigrants that built this Nation and spilled blood for this Nation. Immigrants have saved this Nation, aided in ending wars, and has allowed us to explore further than any human has gone. We cannot close our borders. We need to open our borders, have better policies in place, and allow more individuals to strive to become apart of America. What we don't need is policies that deny individuals those rights and utilize benefits in the US unchecked.
We are now the third most populous country in the world. We do NOT need any more people. Look at cities, especially the inner cities not gentrified. Lakes Mead and Powell are low. The Colorado River not longer has a flow into the Gulf of California. Our infrastructure is crumbling, wildlife habitat is shrinking and you want more People? No thanks.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not sure what demographic you are speaking of but how are they being alienated?
Non-whites don't vote for Republicans and they are the future majority.
Clearly they are not happy with what the Republican party has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections