Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Why not ignore all polls and listen to what candidates stand for!

Don't listen to what the media will try to translate the candidates words into to back up their hidden agenda!

All the pollsters have to look for a different job but wait to hear them say that Trump supporters/voters didn't disclose their true vote to them.

That already backs up the statement that polls are worth nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
It's a Dewey vs Truman deal in reverse.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why not ignore all polls and listen to what candidates stand for!

Don't listen to what the media will try to translate the candidates words into to back up their hidden agenda!

All the pollsters have to look for a different job but wait to hear them say that Trump supporters/voters didn't disclose their true vote to them.

That already backs up the statement that polls are worth nothing!
Well they are worthless in their current form that's for sure. I am guessing that they will change their approach based on this outcome. My guess is that one big assumption was that polling inside the beltways of cities gives you the cross-section of the electorate. When in this election, we can see that it was all the rural areas that carried Trump.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
I have always felt one thing polls cannot do is detect true grassroots support. People who keep their voting preferences and their lives to themselves.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:58 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
I've been questioned by phone polls before and lied about my answers because I knew the pollster was a minority who would not like my answers. You never know if these people might come looking for you so you lie.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:10 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
The best predictions now seem to come from companies that monitor online chatter. On the day of the election a man from an analytics company, I can't remember the name but he sounded South African, appeared on the BBC News channel. The work that his company has done is astounding. They were one of the few in the business who successfully predicted Brexit, now after analyzing online data from 3 million users of social media, he told the BBC News presenter very seriously that Trump was going to win, he seemed to be in no doubt. The data he had suggested that the amount of support for Trump was being massively underestimated by almost every other poll, which almost unanimously put Hillary ahead.

Clearly there seems to be something in this technique, current polling methods have been horribly wrong three times in the last 18 months. The UK general election, the EU Referendum, and now in the US Presidential Election.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 AM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Polls were right if you knew what to look for if you looked in the Midwest where Dems have a history of winning those states Trump was always trailing by a few points when you take the margin of error he was never more then 3-6 points behind in places like PA. He should have been losing by double digits even after the tape recording of him talking about woman his poll numbers bounced back easy. News Media and Liberals just assumed the things Trump said or did would send him crashing and burning in the election but the polls never said that. Media and liberals just kept saying she was winning in the polls but the numbers didn't support that. News Media just put their blinders on and has assumed she would win. When she didn't they could not believe it like the rug was pulled out from under them. Now they are getting why Trump won what I don't understand is why media all of sudden sees the polls why Trump won. The only guy who I saw who made since why Trump was going to win was Michael Moore he saw the anger in the Midwest states where jobs were being sent over to china and mexico Trump was the only guy who said he would tear up those trade deals which allowed it.

Last edited by kell490; 11-11-2016 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
I was called about 7 times during this election season by pollsters (must be on some sort of calling list?), going back to last year. EVERY single time, I lied, and said I was voting for Hillary.

I just love screwing with them. And I encourage others to do the same.

I have never experienced an exit poll, after voting, but if I did, I would also lie, if given the opportunity, just to screw them up.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:34 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I was called about 7 times during this election season by pollsters (must be on some sort of calling list?), going back to last year. EVERY single time, I lied, and said I was voting for Hillary.

I just love screwing with them. And I encourage others to do the same.

I have never experienced an exit poll, after voting, but if I did, I would also lie, if given the opportunity, just to screw them up.
Lying can actually help your cause. If people think they're candidate has it in the bag, a lot of them won't turn out to vote. Then the shock hits them them the next morning xD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections